1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many basses do you ACTUALLY use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jscriv, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Oh yeah!

280 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. Never, can't change the tone

49 vote(s)
    9.6%
  3. No one cares what the bass player does

183 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    I play out a time or two a month in a ska/punk band. If youre not familiar with the genre, the bass very heavily drives the sound. Think reggae, but mixed with swing and get your tone way up and out of the mud. I've been pretty heavily complimented by other musicians on my tone. But I kind of use of a Hodge podge of basses live depending on venue and my mood. I sometime will take out my jazz, but I generally use my EBMM sterling (my personal preffered bass) or I play a Pbass that I slapped a geddy Lee neck on. Pretty different sounds, and of course I have a different EQ for both. Does anyone else do stuff like this? Is this all carrots?

Edited for awful grammar supplied by spell check!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I kinda let intuition tell me which bass will fit. That’s if I don’t know the venue or players. Even still I’ve been very wrong when I ignored the suggestion.

roccobass and moonshinegtrs like this.
  3. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    I have 8 basses and I use them all regularly :thumbsup: :bassist:

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Along with my adjustable HPF, I use one '83 Ibanez Musician that I can beat any rig into submission for various venues and genres.

It's active/passive, PJ, 3 band eq, J neck, 24 fret bass with dead ground wounds.

I pick or pluck at various positions along with using foam and palm muting to get the job done.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I have 2 gig basses, a P and a PJ. Not that different, but yes I'll switch based on mood. I've owned the P longer so it's more comfortable, and the PJ is lighter-weight and brighter, so sometimes that factors in.

Now that's my kinda mod! :thumbsup:

petch and Jscriv like this.
  6. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    After a lot of experimentation I'm down to 4 very different instruments that tend towards certain gigs. Since I play in a couple of different situations along with casuals, I need something that is flexible, but in a pinch can make anything work.

YYD PJ 24-fret 4-string - have played this with a bunch of different bands, it'll work for anything
    Rob Allen Deep 4 fretless - mostly for straight jazz gigs, but at the moment is also the only fretless in the house so if I want that vibe it gets the call
    Fender Player P - mostly for backup on gigs, but if a band leader insists on a "P bass" I can take that gig and not have to argue
    Monarch 6-string - newest addition, gets the call any time I want/need extended range.

I could play any of those on any gig I take (for instance I've played the Deep 4 on funk gigs), but they have areas where they are a more natural fit.

7. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I have 25 bass ukes/mini bass guitars which I rotate with my seniors ukulele group that meet twice week and gig once or twice a month. Five are in various states of repair so they're out of the loop temporarily. When we have an upcoming gig, I stick to one during the couple of rehearsals and when it's done, back to rotating.

8. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY

9. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    I own 7 and have gigged 3 of them.

10. I have 6 and I use them all, as far as my wife knows.

11. I only own three basses at the moment and currently use two of these in my rock covers band, a Stingray Special and a Stingray Classic. My Status S2 Classic (see avatar) was my main gigging bass for 10 years, up until about 6 months ago when I got my Stingray Special. The Status is a great bass that I plan to use live again when a new sideline project starts gigging (unless P bass GAS gets to me first!)

nozkcb likes this.
  12. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Own 3, gig 2 (the MM Stingray clone and the fretless J clone). Ironically the P with flats just doesn't fit my current gig all that well.

13. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    One. I've found more than that to be impossible, even with gadgets like this:

[​IMG]

14. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Two out of the three that I currently own. One's a six-string, and one's a four. Most people wouldn't notice.

TrustRod and Hurricane Jimmie like this.
  15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    For most of my gigging life I've owned one bass. About 20 years ago I bought another bass, so with 2 basses I got myself a backup.

My main bass has been a P bass, a Wal, a Lakland, another P bass and now a Jazz.

Sometimes I practise and rehearse with my backup bass, but I only gig my main bass. It's the best one.

Stuart Turvill, Gooney and p12bassnut like this.
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I've found that more often than not one and the same bass will do nicely for many things.

17. Dynomuttasaurus

Dynomuttasaurus

Jul 23, 2016
    Milwaukee
    I feel ya man. I'm always fiddling around with what bass to bring. The constant GAS and subsequent selling of inventory fuels the compulsion to keep rotating what I bring. Maybe if I felt that a certain bass was my personal brand (or the band had a certain look to keep) I would settle on the One. Until then, whatever floats my boat for the evening will be onstage.

sleddogn and iruyle like this.
  18. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    Luckily my sterling will never ever leave my side. And a part built P bass would fetch the value of 1 part on it so those two will always be main stays. My current gas issues are Amp issues. Was all set to switch to an tone hammer 500 from a PF350, then I recorded with my PF and it sounded amazing. So now I have TH500 upstairs just hanging out

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  19. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Thinking out loud.....
    I have an Ibanez SRX that is my safety net. If I'm going into something new and don't know what to expect, it's the one I take because it is so versatile. It has active electronics and is my preferred bass for live gigs.
    I have the same bass with tapewounds for studio only.
    I have a Peavey Fury with old strings for a Motown sound and another one with new strings for a modern P sound.
    There's an LTD with a P configuration that is my preferred recording bass. For some reason it sounds a little better than every other P I've tried. Don't like the neck very much so it gets no use live.
    The Sterling SUB is for when I need growl.
    Peavey Zodiac with flats gets a little use but not much. Another Zodiac is really twangy and perfect for rock - has a Rickebacker vibe. I don't get much call for that, but when I do, I need it.
    There's a five string tuned EADGC that is a specialty bass. Played that one a lot with one band, but am not in that band any more. Pick it up every now and then.
    So....I guess all nine have their uses and get played - some more than others.

20. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    I have 3 ....out band jams every Fri night with a few fun shows a year...I rotate one each week by practicing/noodling during the week on the upcoming Fri night's bass

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021