1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many basses do you build???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by eleonn, Oct 23, 2006.

1. > 4 basses a month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4 basses a month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 - 2 basses a month

20.8%
  4. 1 - 2 basses every three months

12.5%
  5. 1 - 2 basses a year

66.7%
  1. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    After being around this forum for a while I know that some of you are full time into bass building, others are part time and other do it just for fun.

Reading the Hambone's CNC thread I start to wonder about how many basses some of you usually build a month or a year so I decide to do a poll about this.

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    To date, I've only built one bass, restored another, and customized several, but I'm currently working on two more... at the same time. :help: I'm more of a hobbyist builder. I do this on the side, mostly for my own enjoyment, but if I can make some money doing what I like doing, then it's all the better. :smug: And when I'm not working on basses, I make speaker and instrument cables, as well as cabinets (speaker cabs, that is). One of these days, I want to try making pickups. Anywho, if I had to pick one of the options, I would say that I do one or two a year.... for now.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Right now, I'm on hold, but once my workshop is done, I intend to go to one per quarter.
    The shop will not be done this winter, I fear...too much to do in school. (Not my school, my kids school - pretty demanding on the parents, it is...)

4. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    OH~! We're supposed to have FUN??? :eek:

5. I guess it stops being fun as soon as you take the 'full time' plunge ...so, THAT'S why I'm still having fun!

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    At the moment I'm averaging 1.4583333 a month, but I could do a lot more. Having fun too.

7. What about years per bass?

I could do more if it weren't for this damn job....oh wait, that's why I can build (and still have fun) in the first place.

damn, The Golden Handcuffs....

8. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Would this be really true? I'm mean bass building being fun until you become full time builder? I guess that in as a full time builder you have to get worry about numbers, how much money comes in, how much goes out and things like that but I guess if be a full timer builder wouldn't be also fun guys like Ritter, Elrick, Skjold and others are still in the full time bussines.

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've got the same philosophy as Wilser.

10. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    It varies with orders. Right now I`m doing 2 a month, but now that winter is coming, I`ll ramp up to three.

Mike

11. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I find this the case also. I am working on a 5 instrument order at this time, but also working on 4 new prototypes for 2007. I build guitars, basses, violins, cellos, mandolins, dulcimers, and bajo sextos. It really depends. I may get one build order in 2 months, but have a lot of mod and repair work, as with this summer, or I may have some repair and mod work, and take a multi-instrument order as is my situation at this point. everyday brings something new. LOL

12. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I build ~1.75 basses per year :meh:

13. Hey, I'll take some of those 3/4 finished basses that you've got piling up there. It might help my own numbers a little. :D

My short term goal is to do 4 a year. That would keep up with the level of my orders now and prepare me to step up into msherman's category. After I do that for another 20 or so years, I might actually be able to build something well.

14. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    LMAO:eek: