Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many basses do you currently own?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Dec 15, 2005.

1. 1

58 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. 2

118 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. 3

111 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. 4

79 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. 5

63 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. 6

40 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. 7

27 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. 8

27 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. 9

9 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. 10

8 vote(s)
    1.4%
  11. >10

48 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I wondered in my middle age if I was starting to get out of control with my bass purchases?

I currently own 4 that get played, gigged with and practiced with, some more often than others.

2. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I have only one, an Ibanez GSR-190 that I bought off a friend of my son's for $80. It needs the action lowered on it, but otherwise, its a sweet bass.

I *had* a Squier Jazz, a very good one, but it was such a *log*. Very heavy, the Squiers, and in middle age, my neck's not so great. (Too much headbanging in the 80's.) It was making me have to see the chiro too much.

So, I kept the Ibanez, and gave the Squier to another friend of my son's. This kid was *born* to play bass, but his family was unable to provide him with one. Since I never played the Squier anymore, I felt that it should go to the kid. He was playing a borrowed Squier P that was in very bad shape.

Now, he is very good, and practices all the time, and is so proud of his instrument. Makes me feel good.

But now I need another passive bass!

Cherie :)

3. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I can justify all very practical purposes for my 4.

For jazz trio gigs we do, the fretless Jazz bass works well. For the most part, my MM Sabre stays home and I get a pretty good sound I like similar to the Sabre, from my ASAT. When I'm in the mood, I'll pull out the L 2500 at a gig for set of 5 string bass. Generally, I'm taking 2 axes to every gig, though.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I own four total, of which I gig with three (the fivers). So I voted four. But I have three orders on the way in, so that'll put me up to six gigging basses.

I think six is reasonable. More importantly, my wife thinks so too. :p

5. 2.

SX and Fender Jazz Deluxe. ;)

6. mondogarage

mondogarage

Nov 29, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    3, but that'll go up +1 when my Sadowsky RV4 shows up early next month.

7. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Out of control at 4???
    THANK YOU, sir - you just made my day. :D [​IMG] :D

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    At the moment, 0.

9. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I currently have 21 (plus 3 for sale on consignment), accumulated over the last 15 years or so. I play around 100 gigs per year so none of them lay around in the back of the closet - all are in regular rotation and I bring 2 to every gig. I've been playing over 35 years and for 20 of them I've had one bass at a time. Now I'm lucky enough to have a real variety (most are very different) and I enjoy them all. :D

10. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I play my Rickenbacker almost exclusively. I have a BC Rich that is lonely in the basement, and a Washburn T24 that I thought I was going to use... but I don't. I'll sell them both someday.

I have a Wish on order... but that's going to be a project for me to see if I can get it gig ready. You don't need to respond to that comment, I've read all the post here on TB and I know what I'm getting. I'm going to use it to learn a bit about electronics and wood finishing. Regardless of the outcome, it's beats the hell out of watching "Survivor".

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    3.... which is almost 4.
    1. Ibanez SR300DX LH. My first one. Rarely gets played. There's one just like this for sale in a shop in the city, and despite multiple price drops, it still hasn't sold... so I saw no point in putting mine up for sale
    2. Warwick Corvette 6. My main bass :smug:
    3. A cheapo ABG, Hora Jumbo bass. Defretted. The bass for acoustic jams, when I don't want to take an amp
    4. Coming up, hopefully fully functional by mid next week: another 6er (see thread in signature) :smug:

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I own 2, with one being built, so will be 3. I have no real justification for my Dingwall or my Skjold being built, other than I wanted them, and could afford them. I have no gigs, I play in my living room 95% of the time.

My 3rd one is my GSR-200 that was my first bass, and have since de-fretted it.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I have 4: ESP F205, Ric 4001, Warwick Streamer Studio, and Spector Euro4 LX. I only play the Spector 90% of the time. I should have a 5th in March, a Euro 4 LX Fretless. I will probably sell the Warwick at that time and put the $$$ into restoring the Ric.

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    4 in constant rotation for gigs (fretted and fretless J, 5'er, 10'er)... a few more in parts/pieces.

... and this one retired:

[​IMG]

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Studio? :eyebrow:

J-raj: you should've retired and buried that a long time ago :p

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    4. my new F Bass BN5,and the rest are Warwicks all w/ differant pup configurations, an Infinity SN 5 J and double J,Katana BO 4 J and J. Corvette $$ 4 two MM's. I use them all but the F Bass kinda outclasses the others so it will be my anchor.

17. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I owned a bunch in my day but have 4 as of now.

I got two 4 strings and two 5 string basses.
    4 Strings =
    Fender P-bass
    Warwick Thumb Bolt-on

5 Strings =
    Ibanez SRX-505
    Warwick Streamer Stage II

I was going to sell my non-warwicks but when we had a gig and my Thumb wasn't in working condition (installing new pickups at the time and weren't working) the Fender came in handy. I think I am going to stick with these 4 for a while maybe get a 6 string fretless or a Fender Jazz bass fretless if i win the lottery

18. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses

Fender Jazz, Ibanez TR600, Fender BG-32 acoustic, SX fretless, and Brice 6 string.

19. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I own three. 2 electrics and 1 acoustic. See my profile for more details.

20. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I know... you ain't kidding! :D