1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many basses do you need?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jornan, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Jornan

Jornan

Jun 30, 2008
    Norway
    If you had to set a limit for how many basses you could have, how many would you say that you'd need? I like to have two, a four-string for slapping and a six-string for everything else. Maybe someone needs a fretless, a double neck or something like that. So how many do you need?

2. I need two.

But please stop making these threads, there is endless amounts of them already.
    And that goes for everyone.

3. Basses you need=basses you have + just one more.

4. I need one more than I have.

5. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Look, I've been working on the theory, to my wife, that every bass I own is unique in it's sound and I simply must have every one of them in my arsenal to be prepared for any scenario. 6 string, 5 string, twelve string, a couple Ricks (both very different in sound), acoustic fretless, etc.

And to this day she either believes my garbage or lets me keep believing she believes me (probably the latter).

I worked hard on this story. I need 'em all!!! :D

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I need 41. I'm not even halfway there yet.

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    It begs the question "is there an all around" bass/string/amp rig that covers a bass players needs. Most players here have Fenders or P-Bass style basses (boutiques excepted).

For my needs, the MM Sterling with HiBeams is the Rocker; the Carvin 5 with the Jamerson's rounds is the R&B and cross over jazz; and the Fretless is the straight ahead jazz sound.

Could I do it all with the MM? Maybe....

8. WarofAges

WarofAges Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    i have four, just because i play in three different tunings, and i still keep my first bass around for kicks

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Need? One.
    Have? Six.

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    For me it's three P basses as a bare minimum.
    All with basicly the same configuration and set up.

One Primary.

One backup.

One backup for my backup, just in case the primary is down.

That way I'm always going to be covered on a gig.

11. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Exactly ... I have 11, I need 12. :help:

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nine. I would have ten but I'm running out of room for the cases.

Riis

13. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    It is usually a direct correlation with how big of a lie said bass player believes this following statement to be:

Most people can't hear the difference anyway.

14. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    You need a Jazz, a Precision, an active 5 string with humbuckers, an active 4 string with humbuckers, a shortsacle with one muddy, loud humbucker, a shortscale hollowbody and a regular scale hollowbody, an active fretless and a passive fretless. Those are just the ones you need!

15. ikestr

ikestr

Jan 10, 2006
    San Diego
    Need = however many to get the job done.

I used to have 3, one as a primary and 2 for backups/other sounds. Sold the other two and now my main bass is the only bass I need, I can get all the sounds/tones I need.

For me the KISS rule applies. With only one bass I dont have to worry aobut which one has dead strings or isnt set up or does a great job on some songs but no others.

Need = one bass that does it all.

ikestr

16. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    MORE.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I kinda agree with you. But if all future threads had to be completely new and original here on TB, there would be very few new threads.;):D

Anyways, I "need" 3 basses. A 5 string and 2 4 strings... strung with flats and rounds.

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I really only need one good 4 string, passive, 24 fret bass.
    Being a greasy western consumer, I want much more of course.

19. Need? Two really one fretted Jazz and one fretless Jazz. Those two cover 95% of my requirements. Have? 3 jazzes, 1 vintage Ric, 1 acoustic/electric. My problem is I look at basses like works of art. If I like it I tend to buy it and then justify why. Different sounds, will go up in value etc. Fact is I will probably keep buying them.... thought I was done with Jazz basses until I saw a Dingwall Super Jazz now how can I justify that? Hmmmm...

20. Jornan

Jornan

Jun 30, 2008
    Norway
    I created this thread to see if there it is necessary to have lots of basses, or if I could buy a few and be satisfied with that. When people reply without any reason, "I need 3", "I need 24" and so on, then I find no reason to have these threads, but as long as people are giving reasons for their opinions, then I see no reason to stop making these threads.