1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Many Basses Do You USE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Illbay, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    This is specifically for those of us who have, say, at LEAST 3 basses in playable condition. MORE would be preferable to help answer my question.

So you have a several axes in your arsenal. How many of them to you actually PLAY OUT on a regular basis?

I wonder how many of us collect these instruments, but find ourselves really sticking to only ONE of them for actual performance?

Me, I'm extremely ADHD, and so I typically use maybe two of the five that I own, but no more than that.

How many, folks?

2. ONE, end of story.

i also only own one.. :(

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I actually USE 2. The Stingray 5 and the MTD Kingston Heir 5. The rest are....wellll...... practice basses at best but dust collectors and shed space wasters in truth.

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I mostly do recording, so I use five basses, each has a role that it fills nicely that the others can't do as well.

5. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Hey, you're for another thread! :)

(Which should be titled "why are you in he seeming minority on TB, that you own only one bass?")

6. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    I play one, i know a backup would be nice for schows and to have a different tuning but meh.

I have 3 other basses but they mostly sit and get played by bandmates.

7. im working on it!! funds are difficult :(

i want to get a fender this summer! I am 18 and in college, its not so easy!

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I have nine, but I don't gig at all, so........................................

I regularily play about 6/7 every week, the eighth every other, and the ninth is waitin' on a pickup swap.

9. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    If one sits too long I sell it unless it fills a particular function (IE Fretless etc)

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I usually bring one to rehearsals... but that has just changed. I'm writing specific parts for specific tunes with specific basses in mind. I should be 4 for 5 soon... 3 for 5 currently

11. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    I have 5 in my house, 4 of which are actually mine. I only use one of them. I will be gaining one and losing one soon, so the number will stay the same.

Once my newest addition arrives, it will become my main bass and one of the others will become my occasional jam bass, so I will be using 2 of the 5, but... if the tuning that I use in my band wasn't so drastically different than standard (I'll be keeping one bass tuned standard and one tuned for my band) I would only use 1.

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Rd
    Fender Bird
    LP Standard
    EB-0 project bass

13. allanhearn

allanhearn

Apr 22, 2004
    I was in a band called POWDER a few years back. The guitar player loved alternate tunings and wanted the same open strings so I used 4 in a 1 hour set
    4 string reg tuning
    4 string drop D
    5 string reg tuning
    5 string 1 step down:crying:

The band I play in now KingBaby I only use a jazz bass tuned
    regular and I am so happy :hyper:

14. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I own three basses, but I only use one (my 5 string Ibanez). My Fenders have been staying at home unfortunately. However, in the school ensemble I used my Fenders because they balanced better while sitting down, and I prefer the classic sound there rather than the modern active tone of the Ibanez.

Edit: You could have gotten away with 2 basses on that show IMO... it wasn't necessary to use 2 basses for standard and drop D. I probably would have used a 5 string for both regulars and a second 5 string for the downtuning if it had heavier strings.

15. I use 4 basses.:bassist:
    2 all-electric
    1 acoustic bass guitar
    1 upright
    I mainly gig with two or three, but I have performed on all of them before.

See my post under the SHOW OF YOUR BASSES thread.:)

16. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    1. Fender Precision with Seymore Duncan 1/4 pounders and Rotosound RS77 (Sometimes SH77) strings.

With this beast, I need nothing else!

But I own 4.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I own five and use all five.

I tend to favor my Sadowsky because it weighs at least a pound less than the others, but I like all of them a lot.

Benavente 51 model x2, Sadowsky, Fender RB5 x2
    [​IMG]

I know, I need a better pic...

18. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Generally one at a time. :ninja:

But two usually come along for the ride. A Passive P with Flats and a Active J with Rounds.

19. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I'm gonna answer based on actually using regularly, not just playing out, because I also record regularly.

My main recording axe is one of my two Line6 Variax 705 five-strings (the other one is in disrepair).

My main performing axe is my MTD Artist 5.

I also bring at least one backup bass when I perform, which is usually my MTD Z6, and sometimes my (working) Line6 as well.

I have 6 basses total; the others are a Squier Badtz Maru short-scale Bronco and a cheapie New York Pro 5-string made by Samick. I never use these last two, though: The first is more for goofing off than for actually making music, and the second is actually for sale.

I also have 8 or so 6-string guitars, but I'm really a bassist these days (switched over about four years ago).

20. 2 only because I keep my old crappy Ibanez upstairs and my nice Fender down here...so if I'm up stairs I play the Ibanez and if I'm downstairs I play the Fender!