1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Many Basses Do You USE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Illbay, Mar 12, 2008.

1. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    One at a time!

Haven't yet figured out how to play multiple basses at the same time.

2. TobyBrodel

TobyBrodel Guest

Mar 3, 2008
    I play my G&L tribute 5-string with my cover band but if i get sick of the ballsy tone or huge neck, or if i just want to be different i use my squier fretless.

The rest of the time i'm on my MIM jazz, that's with stagebands or modern jazz ensembles or blues groups, unless it calls for the fretless.

Then there's the upright, i use the fretless if i can't be bothered lugging it about.

I'm looking to sell the G&L and the squier and get a P/J with a fretless neck though.

3. one

At any given time I usually own 3 or 4 but I pretty consistently pick an instrument and stick with it.

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I own 3, I use 2 of them (Ray and P) for gigs. The one I don't use is a really good looking ash-winged neck-thru. It plays great but it doesn't sound "right" for either of my bands.

5. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    Two, the two that I own.

6. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    1, that's all I own, although it'll be 2 hopefully later this year :)

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I use three.

Fretless 4-string.

Percision with flats.

Jazz with rounds. (5-string)

I also have a Jerry Jones that I use mainly for recording.

8. downtownblues

downtownblues Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Gotta a bunch, but there's really four in the gig rotation because each fits different applications. (2) Peavey T-40's fretted and FL; 5-string and 6-string Carvins.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a completely unjustifiable seven: four and five string Fender Jazzes; fretted and fretless Fender Precisions; G&L SB-2; G&L L-1500; and DiPinto Belvedere. I use the two J's, fretted Precision, and both G&L's fairly regularly. I would gig with any of those five, and have played gigs with the four string J, P, and L-1500.

These days, I use the DiPinto only for recording, which in my case is extremely rare. However, I played several gigs with it in 2003-2005 and it certainly may see the stage again. I never play the fretless anymore, and would happily sell it in favor of another five string.

So let's call it 5.5 out of seven.

10. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    When I was in a band, I had two. A main bass, and a back up for the occasional busted string.

I have four at the moment, which I play at home regularly.

Fender Jazz RI Custom
    Blue Dawn Bongo
    Spector Euro
    and a Frankenbass 5

11. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    I use three out of my four basses on a regular basis. My Michael Kelly acoustic is relegated to its case and I haven't used it in over a year. My Yammie 5-string is my primary player, followed closely by a project Jazz which is good for classic-style rock, and my Yammie BB-404 is general-purpose backup and a good choice for gigs like praise band stuff where I don't need a five (and don't wanna hassle with muting that string all the time) but do need a laid-back comtemporary look that my Jazz doesn't quite have.

12. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Own four - play 2 regularly, but only one has seen a public (non-practice) appearance since in over a year.

13. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I have two, my spector never comes out of the case, I use my modulus 99.99999% of the time.

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    my jazz is my main bass for gigging/recording.

occasionally, ill bring my jazz special fl as a back up, but ive good comfortable with not bringing it. probably too comfortable. of my other basses, the acoustic i barely use unless there is a specific need for it, my warwick sits in its case and my pedulla i pretty much only use at home when my jazz is still in the case from practice/gigs.

15. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My list of basses:

Fender Marcus Miller IV
    FrankenBass Single Coil P
    Ibanez SR506
    SX Jazz Fretless
    Warwick Corvette Standard Fretless
    Handmade upright my friend made me
    Johnson Longhorn 5

As of right now I use three, though whenever I actually get my 'Wick and when I'm done finishing the upright that number's going to jump to five. I use my Fender MM in one band (will use the fretless 'wick in that band too), I use the frankenbass and SX fretless in another, and I will be using my upright in a psychobilly thing I just joined with. I have to have two different fretlesses going because the two bands are in different tunings, one in standard and one a half step down.

16. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Out of 5 basses, I mostly use my SX P with flats right now.
    It just fits what I'm doing.
    I use my J with rounds for certain songs, plus it is tuned BEAD... I really like it better.
    My Michael Kelly AEB gets used for practice and acoustic jams, and sometimes an "unplugged" sit-down set with the band.
    My fretless P gets used only when I have to have a fretless. I love the bass, but hate the SD 1/4 lb pickups... soon to be changed, plus I'm not that good with it.
    My short scale Allen Woody usually gets played at home for practice, because I like it. Might start taking it to rehearsals.

So one gets used far and away more often, but really I use them all.

17. Based on our set list:

1 in drop D and 1 in standard

However theres a couple songs we cycle in which we play only one of a day if any, in which case one bass in in drop D and tuned to E quickly for any of those songs that require it, whilst the other one is string like 5 string missing the high G, or missing the A.

18. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I currently have 3: Fender P, Geddy, and a Lakland 55-02. The 2 fenders get the most stage time these days. The Lakland sounds sweet but I'm gassing for vintage these days.

19. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    P with flats
    J with rounds

Both passive 4 string

20. It is a little ironic that the P has flatwounds and the J has roundwounds.:smug: