1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Many Basses Do You USE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Illbay, Mar 12, 2008.

1. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I play both of mine. A P-Bass with a new bridge new tuners and new pickups and covered in stickers and shiny objects, and my Epi thunderbird. I also play acoustic guitar in my band when we do acoustic stuff and I play synths when they're needed.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I only play one at a time.

3. corradoc

corradoc

Dec 20, 2007
    New York City
    mostly one,my sterling. reliable, sounds and plays great.

4. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I own 2 and use both. A Sterling with flats and a MIA Jazz with rounds.

5. I play 10 out of my 13. Probably selling the 3 I don't use in the near future.

6. arthurzen

arthurzen

Feb 29, 2008
    New England
    Ken Smith BSR5M
    American Fender Precision
    Cheap chinese upright (upgrading this summer)

Looking at buying a cheap short-scale (probably an Epiphone EB-0) to beat on

7. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I'm pretty simple with three basses at my disposal
    right now.

P-Bass with flats
    Geddy Lee J with round wounds
    Fretless J with pressure wound

That's it folks.It does me fine these days. I do get G.A.S. attacks however
    like everyone else,and I'm sure I'll be adding more down the road.

8. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

I take two of my seven(!) to the gig. I'd rather play my Kinal 5 all the time but the Bongo 4HH gets some stage time purely out of guilt (I should sell it).
    The MIM P is on loan to a friend of mine.
    The Yamaha BB1200 is getting set up.
    The Dolan 5 fretless is neglected (more guilt)
    The Ibanez fretless 4 collects dust (another one to unload).
    The MIM Jazz is awaiting electronics...

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Last two very active bands I was in, I regularly used 4 basses.

10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    i own three, and I use all 3.

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    2 out of 3 (the other is a crap squier)

12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I use 2 out of the 6 that I own.

Both regularly used basses are 5 string. The others are 4 stringers.

TD

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have 3 basses. I use both ernie balls (my second ernie ball, a sr5hh, recently traded for a stingray4 fretless). I dont take my fender jazz out ever.

so 2.

14. MoSlevin

MoSlevin

Aug 11, 2007
    I play everything but my fretless regularly, so 3 of 4? If I'm doing more modern playing , it's easier to get the tones I want from my Stingray so I use it most for that. I use my '82 Jazz when I can only bring one along and need something versatile and a bit more subdued. That said I still play my bird the most- it's newer, been well set up, plays well, looks killer, sounds killer, and is versatile enough with a bit of EQ.

I'd say the distribution is like this:

Gibson 'bird: 60%
    Stringray: 25%
    Jazz: 15%

15. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    3 of 4 that are curently playable, currently bring my U.S. masters, MIM P, and MIM Jazz Fretless out with me everytime

16. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    i own 5, i have a main play my 55-01 with flats, i carry a back up to gigs a MIM jazz 5'er but usually never use it. about once a month i will play a set with my jazz it has aeros, an audere and a bada$$ bridge it a sweet sweet jazz. but its just not a Lakland...
    my other 3 basses are 4 string and i just don't play 4's anymore.

17. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    My Innovator 4 is my work horse
    My Bernardo 5 is tuned b
    My Bernardo 6 is my recorder
    ...and my Bich 8 is just awesome!

I will also be adding a Fender Jazz Plus 5 soon and I have no clue where it will fit in....

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    These 5 are my "working" basses. They all get gigged, although the Blue Jason Lollar equiped SX get's the honors most of the time, with the Sunburst SX as back up. Even though it's semi-retired from live work, the old Fender still gets dragged out to 5 or 6 shows a year.

When I use one of the others as my primary for the night, the Blue SX ALWAYS goes as my back up. That one is with me all the time.

In the studio, the Fender is no.1 with the Blue SX as a back up.
    zIMG_0101.

19. I have four basses, but only gig with two. I own

Fender Frank Bello bass - I've poured money into this thing, fret work, pro setups, the works, it still sounds lousy. In fact, the bridge started shifting, and I have to get around to filling the holes with epoxy or wood filler. Obviously don't gig with this piece of junk.

Warmoth Fretless P bass. I love this bass, but it seems the bands I work with don't like the sound as much, so it usually stays at home.

Squier Vintage Modified P. Fantastic bass for the money, Action's a little high, but it sounds great. I use it for about half of my gigs, no problem

EBMM Stingray 5.

I love this bass, It's five strings, but it plays faster than most 4s I've tried. I love how big and ballsy this bass can sound. Doesn't get much better than this. My main gigging bass.

20. StevieT

StevieT So many basses, so little money....

Mar 10, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Right now I have 15 that are playable 4 five strings, 10 four string, 1 four string acoustic/electric. I have my favorites, I use my Schecter C-4 and an Ibanez Ergodyne 5 string copy just for recording. The rest I try to put in regular rotation. It also depends on what style I'm playing for that gig. My fav 5 string is a highly modified Ibanez TR75 & my fav 4 string is a custom built Fender P bass by ST73 Custom Basses.
    Peace