1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Many Basses Do You USE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Illbay, Mar 12, 2008.

1. I actually play all of them to some extent, save my fretless 4 (I just don't enjoy playing it) and my acoustic-electric 5 (the volume:feedback ratio in close quarters is just too irritating)

I play out with either my Alembic or my Schecter Custom, and record with my SX (believe it or not) and Cort.

I really enjoy playing the TBC and the Spector, but I haven't as of yet done anything substantial with them, other than practice.

So, out of the 9, I regularly use 7.

2. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Two
    l_9e504165a1d92925faa15cffef64f983.

3. I own six basses and I've used every one on a gig or for a recording session in the last year.

If I only take one bass to a date, it's usually for a specific reason. Jazz=Juzek, Blues=P Bass, etc...

If I take more than one bass, it's an acoustic and and electric, although I did a session recently where I brought my hybrid DB and my ABG.

I can't recall ever taking 2 EB's to a gig.

4. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I use the three on the left. I got the 5er because I wanted to play one, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it, so it gathers dust. But I can't bear to get rid of it, because one of these days, dammit, I WILL learn to play with only 5 strings. Honest. And it sounds truly excellent. The others cover the sounds I'm looking for.

P1060970.

5. as much as i'd love to say i use all of them every week.. it's far from true. 90% of my gigs i use the jazz bass for.. and i pretty much always bring my yamaha as a backup. i realised the other day that i'd been bringing that backup for months, and it hadn't even been out of its case! so i played a few sets with it, just to remember what it felt like!

i also use my DB where needed, and try to practice most days on it. but gig wise, i think i've played maybe 5 gigs on it in the last 6 months... so not exactly regular!!

so my answer would probably be one..

the others all get a play from time to time, and they sit on a rack next to my desk - so i use them for practice when i couldn't be bothered unzipping my bag :)

andy.

6. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I always take 2 Spector 5's for gigs...one is for back up...

7. kickupthejam

kickupthejam

Feb 22, 2008
    Perth
    I own four, and I use all of them when performing. Really, I could get away with using two, but it's kind of cool to show off what you have.

8. bfc

bfc

Feb 15, 2008
    Fenton, MO
    I use 2 basses--a passive Washburn T-25 (j bass) with flats and an active Carvin B5 (MM style) with rounds. I'm soon selling the Washburn for a Yammie BB415. Anyway, two different basses for 2 totally different sounds.

9. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    my MTD and my fender marcus miller

I cover all that I need with this two
    (modern tone and fender classic j bass tone.. which was always my favourite)

10. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    I use all three of mine; not necessarily live, but for recording. The Alembic is of course my main player, but both my fretless and the Daion have made it on to tape in the past month or so. It's nice to have different colors available, and each bass has a particular set of virtues, which is why I keep them around, even if I don't play them all equally.

11. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    These days I don't bring more than one bass to my gigs. The main reason is that I have neither the time to switch between them nor the stage real estate to have a bass on a stand. Most of our sets are 45 mins. to an hour and efficiency is the name of the game. Nevermind the schlep.

Back when I was touring and playing a lot in the Midwest with a dedicated cargo van, I would bring at least two and sometimes three or four basses with me. But since I moved to NY and later bought a Sadowsky 24-fret P/J 5, the P/J's been my one and only.

I still use all my other basses for rehearsals, recording, playing at home and at jams with friends or when fellow bassists want to compare but they don't get much actual gigging time, again mainly because it's just plain unfeasible to bring another along. I like having one bass as my main bass and if it weren't for me finally finding one that fulfilled my high expectations of tone and versatility (and then some), I'd still be lugging around two basses all the time. :atoz:

:D

12. I've got 5, and a lot of my playing is at home through a Tascam CD-BT1, playing along to an ipod, so when I'm doing that, I do like to rotate them, so I tend to use them all. I might be playing the Stingray one night, and I'll think to myself, I haven't used the Jazz for a while, so I'll get that out. So I use all of them.

However, for gigs, I'll only ever take two, usually the Stingray and one other, whatever I fancy on the night.

As others have said though, at the end of the day, you only really need one.

13. I own 7 basses, but play on 4 of them:
    1) EBMM SUB4 (my workhorse!)
    2) Cort Artisan A4 (for fun an practice)
    3) Italia Mondial (for fun and when I got the blues)
    4 Aria Pro II - P bass (for practice and fun)

My Hondo jazz bass is a bathered one and I am just keeping it for emotional reasons (it was my first bass); the Hohner Steinberger fretless is waiting to be restringed (but it is difficult to find double ball end flatwound strings around here) and the Greco Rick copy needs restoration but they are working on it :D

14. amphlett7

amphlett7

Feb 27, 2008
    Basywater, Western Australia
    Audiofly In-Ear Monitors And Headphones
    i have three
    My main is my jazz
    but i have a couple of crappy ashton basses
    gathering dust under my bed
    thats why immaking a jazz
    one to play while the jazz is at school
    :smug:

15. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I have 5 and use 4 of them in rotation - the last is a fretless and my playing on that is not good enough yet. I find myself wanting to play 3 of the 4 active ones more than the 4th but, since the 4th was a present from my wife (Lakland 55-94) it gets equal time.

Dan K.

16. I own 2 and use boths of them more or less evenly, though nowadays the fretless is taking over

Brice HXB-406 6 string fretless
    Olp MM3 5 string fretted

17. It depends on the kind of music I'm supposed to play and the sound that's needed:
    For hard-rock:
    Rikkers bodyline 5 string fretted
    Malinek Physical 6 string fretless

For singer-songwriter - pop - jazz:
    Aries Rian 6 string fretless with piëzo
    Upright
    And when there's not enough room in the car:
    NS design CR5M electric upright.

For playing at home and figuring out bass-lines: acoustic Takamine B10 fretless.

This adds up to six. Then there's my old Ibanez Musician that's gone to a friend and the Jelínek 5 fretless that waits for some spare time to build in RMC piëzo's and pre-amp. But because of all the other basses this can wait.....

18. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    I have 4, and I use all 4.

SX Jazz for Standard
    ATK300 for Drop D
    GSR100 for Drop C
    OLP MM2 is my beater that goes everywhere with me. It can be used as a backup for either the SX or the ATK in a moment's notice thanks to the D-Tuner.

19. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    For 99% of the things I currently do, I use 6 basses

Villex (Classic)-loaded Voodoo 5str Dingwall
    NVT (Villex)-loaded Prima 5str Dingwall
    OMT Z2 5str Dingwall
    OMT Z1 5str (my avatar) Dingwall
    "Uber Alles" Prima 5str Dingwall
    Ken Lawrence Brase I 5str (oops, not a Dingwall)

I hope that in the very near future, I'll start expanding into more bands and styles again and I'll incorporate at least another 5 basses (Ritter Roya 5, "Brazil" Z1 Dingwall and another 3)

20. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I assume you're a pro.

But when do you SLEEP?