1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Many Basses Do You USE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Illbay, Mar 12, 2008.

1. HMZ

HMZ

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have four basses and am only using one right now and its the newest one I own. It seems I always play the new one till I get bored of it and go back to an old favorite or buy something else.

2. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I own 4 with another on the way. I bring 2 with me to each gig. I have my favorite (MM 20th SR5) but I play both at any given gig. I also rotate my other basses except my Dargie SR5 which mainly stays at home. I sometimes bring it out to certain gigs at nicer places. I honestly got the Dargie as a collector piece.:)

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    No need to sleep if you are in Sonic Nirvana ;)

I am not a pro in terms of depending on music for my living. The fact hat I am not depending on music for living, does not reduce my responsibility for executing to the highest standard (tone-wise, equipment-wise and performance-wise). I love my job and I love music too. When I perform I am just the bass player (many times I'm the lead singer too, but this is another discussion); I am responsible for the given task to complete by will, desire and choice (competence is questionable :p:p:p)

4. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Live? always at least 2, Currently my Jazz Mod and my fretless build. Studio? minimum 3. Number one can vary according to type of gig,(T-Bird,viola,P or J) then a 5 fretted and a four fretless. As for 2 live? I used to be cocky and bring one, then it broke one night, and I had to play the 3 strings I had left. Luckily it was a rock gig and the G tuner broke off before the last set so....won't happen again.

5. UPTHE1RON5

UPTHE1RON5

Dec 10, 2007
    i own 2, a fender p special and a thunderbird. i play the fender mostly live because it plays better and sounds better, but the thunderbird looks so cool i'll give it a go every so often

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have 13 basses. Each and every one of them in Show playing condition. I only play 1 usually. My battery went dead on my main bass during our last tour, so during our drum solo, I switched basses, but the next night I was back on my main bass.

7. I'm not in a "playing out" phase of my life right now, but I'd have to say I play 4 of my 6 on at least a weekly basis. As for the other 2, one is a passive used mostly for recording purposes, and the other will likely be sold. So I feel like I'm holding up my end of the instrument/player commitment. :)

8. denhou1974

denhou1974

Mar 6, 2008
    I own three basses. I usually use my Warwick Corvette. I use my Yamaha BB450 for outdoor gigs and when I hurt my shoulder last year (it's lighter than the Warwick).

9. I use two for gigging/practices and 1 for home recording. A fourth basically never gets used because it's a POS (my first instrument ever, from high school).

The Stingray I play at practice because it's easy on the fingers. The Rickenbacker I play at shows because it sound great and is lightweight for rocking out.
    My beefed up SX sits next to my computer at home so I can grab it anytime a bass lick comes to mind and record it.
    The defretted Squier hangs on the wall and makes a good decoration :D

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I have 13 or 14 working basses ... when I play out I usually grab 2 ...

the hard part is deciding which two ...

:bassist:

11. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I use everything I have except my '81 Rickenbacker which is more or less retired. Every one I own has a certain function and they all differ so much from one another. That's for recording.
    Playing out I'll usually bring 2, one for a backup, but will just use 1 depending on the band/style of music.

12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    +1!

13. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    all 3.

case in point, this sunday evening i have an engagement with a church band that will have two guitars and a keys player. the keys player knows what it's like to be a bassist, so he stays out of the low end. for that... i need a bass that will cut through and be comfortable mostly in first position. i'm taking the '51.

when i know i won't be competing with two guitars and keys, i'll take the JO, as i'm more likely to be adventurous on that lovely neck.

and if i know i'll be able to hear myself well, i'll take the Fretless.

14. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    since you asked if i'm honest i use 2 but....

if my mrs asks i use all 8 as they are all essesial to my sound and band proformances.... infact i still need more

15. 2 - Stingray 5 and Fender AmDlxJazzV

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

OLP mm32 (SR5 HH) for modern roundwound sound

Schecter Studio 5 with Flats for thumpy older sound

17. All of mine (8) bar my BTB406QM. Nothing wrong with the bass, just dont have a huge amount of use for a 6 string right now. And its in DIRE need of new strings!

18. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I have always taken both my '87 P-Bass and my '02 SR4, now I just acquired a JO4 last week... so I guess I'll be taing three!!

19. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Depends on the gig...

For solo gigs, I use my Ibanez 5-string, which I'm considering trading for a Jazz as I don't really use the 5th string much.

For my regular jazz gig, I use my P-Bass and NS WAV4.

For my roots and country gig, I use my Jerry Jones Longhorn

20. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I have two and use them both. I only play a church these days so I will play one for a few weeks then swap. At home I play them both usual on a daily swap. I prefer my EBMM stingray 5 over my heartfield DR5 so it gets 60-70% of the playing time.