1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Many Basses Do You USE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Illbay, Mar 12, 2008.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I own 5. All get gigged but some more than others. The fretless and the 5 string see much less action then the 4 string fretted basses

Rob

2. I've got 5 electrics and I use them all. I also have a 1/4 size upright that I don't use...yet. I keep telling myself to work on learning to play it, but I haven't so far.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I only use one at a time. I rarely play my fretless these days, and seem to be favoring my Precision over my Ric as of late. So, I guess that the last 10 gigs or so, I've used the P on at least 7 0r 8 of them.

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I own nine basses, but only about 6 of them get played regularly (ie more than once a week). For rehearsals or gigs, I only bring two -- usually one Sadowsky and one Reverend -- unless I'm feeling bold and want to break out the XL-2. :D

I like rotating basses. Sometimes playing the same song on two different basses gives me ideas on different directions I could take with the part.

5. I own 6, but really only use 3 regularly: Ric 4003, MIJ P, and an MIM J.

The Washburn T24 Taurus, Empro plywood P, and the Hondo shortscale P not so much.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I play all of these in public with the exception of the acoustic/electric, it just depends on my mood as to which one I pick. They range from a 1963 P to a 2006 Rogue and a 2007 Jay Turser. They all sound good. I'm hoping to add an "acoustic" set with very small amps, and if that happens, I'll play the ABG for that set.

Wallofbasses12-07.jpg

7. I own six and play five regularly, though I might break out the vintage P (retired) for a private, indoor gig. I find that, like a harem, a bass collection has to be paid attention to, albeit in varying levels. All of mine have fresh strings, are in great condtion and ready to go on whatever whim hits me that night. Lately, I've been hard pressed to leave my ATK home, as it is always consistently reliable and great-sounding. I love the Jag but would never take it without a backup. The J is my all-purpose beater/backup.

Fender Sting w/duncan single-coil, ATK700 (blonde), MIM fretless (modded), Jaguar (SJB pups), CIJ Jazz )modded), and an old CIJ P.

8. alexmoore10

alexmoore10

Apr 3, 2007
    London
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering Amplifiers, Elites Strings and Cosmic Ears IEMs
    I own four but only USE two...one 5 string and one 4.

9. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    OK, I'll play.

I had 8, recently sold 2 that weren't being used. Out of the 6 left, 4 get regular time. JO5 is the main player, with the P or J 4's as b/u for most gigs, which one depends on the venue. If it's a jazz gig or low volume, I use a 55-02.

The two I don't use may get sold, a Jackson Concert Pro 5, and a Peavey Fury 6 that I won't gig with. Bought it cause it was cheap, and wanted to experiment with a 6.

10. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I would have to check my profile to actually count how many I have ...

But I use them all from one time to another, as of late it's been mostly Fender Jazz basses, if I take an active I'll take a passive as backup, and then some nights only play the passive.

:) ... Then sometimes it's all Precision or Ric, depends on my mood.

11. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    Owning 9, potentially using 5, actually using 3 (2 G&Ls, 1 MIJ Precision). Time to do something about it.

Gruesse, Pablo

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Currently own and use three basses. Had two others, and they both went to good homes. I have visitation rights, it's all good. I don't want any basses that I don't want to play.

13. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    "Visitation rights?" How does that work?

Is that similar to "conjugal visitation?"

14. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I own 3 but I only play the Roscoe SKB3005 and the Sadowsky UV70-5.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I own 13, and my wife owns one (the ABG, which she never plays).

When I used to gig with an oldies band and Lucid Dreamer, all of my basses got played out at least a few times a year, except the ABG and the Westone Quantum.

These days, I only play in church 3 or 4 times a week. These are what get used the most.

Zon Sonus Custom fretless 5 - My Sunday Morning bass
    Nordstrand SC5 - My Sunday evening bass and former main bass
    Peavey Cirrus 6 - My main bass, used on a lot of Wednesday nights, bimonthly youth service, and often in place of the Zon and Nordstrand on Sundays. Starting to feel a bit restricted on a five string, which has me wanting a seven.:meh:
    Lakland Skyline D55-01 - My main backup. Play it fairly regularly
    Fender Jazz Geddy Lee - My main four banger
    Hamer CH12 - I take this as a second bass to the occasional youth service, and use it on one or two songs when I do
    Peavey T-40 - Jack of all trades bass, used every few weeks on a Wednesday night
    Peavey Foundation - Just got back from being loaned out for 7 years. Badly in need of new strings
    Electra Westone Spectrum fretless - I use this once or twice a year. It has sentimental value, because I have had it longer than anything else
    Westone Quantum - Headless Steinberger copy. Body is broken on the bottom, need to get around to repairing it
    SX BG-80 - My P bass copy. Someday this will be a 60's P copy, with a tort pickguard and ashtrays. For now, I take it to church on occasion, but worship music does not really call for a P sound
    Ibanez SR506 - Set up ultra stupid low, this is my tapping and main practice bass. I do take it to church every couple of months
    Olympia ABG - My wife's bass, even though she doesn't play. This is Tacoma's budget line. Decent ABG. I am not big on ABG's, so it doesn't get played much.
    70's Electra P copy - My newest addition. Scored it for $59 at a music store. Great 70's P bass sound. Ash/maple. Currently has Labella black tapewounds. Those will soon be moved to my T-40 and this will get roundwounds. Yeah, I know, rounds on a P. But my SX has flatwounds, so I am allowed to put rounds on my other P.:D

16. KenPng

KenPng

Mar 8, 2007
    Singapore
    I own 12 basses and I gig whenever my day job allows me.

I use 4 and 5 string basses with the occasional 4 string fretless work.

I use my Dave Lewis and Kubicki Ex Factor for recordings.

My Gibson Thunderbirds go on stage and rehearsals with me often as well as my Elrick Platinum.

When I am in the mood I bring out a Rickenbacker and I noodle at home on a beaten up '70s jazz and a fretless linc luthier 4.

I have a Wishbass that looks really cool as wooden furniture in the bass room.

Got two more rusting away unfortunately.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I own 9 basses and use most of them regularly.

I don't use my 1997 MIA P 62RI much but it is likely being sold. Also, my Jaco relic is rarely played, but I won't sell it as ibanezcollector did such a great job on it.

So I use 7 out of my 9 basses regularly.

Note: It helps that I am in 2 bands that gig often and I use a pair of 5ers for one and 4 strings for the other.

18. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Bump

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I use as many as I can ...

20. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Warmoth J tuned EADG for most playing
    Parts P-bass with 2 J pups and 1 P pup set up for leads and distortion
    Aria Pro II SB-900 tuned Picollo
    Steinberger XP-2 tuned BEAD
    Mini Fretless bass (26" scale) for doddling
    Cheap J copy beside the bed for nights when I can't sleep
    Kramer Duke for travel (airline security hates that aluminum neck)
    Peavey T-40 neck mounted on Zebrawood body for blues and southern rock
    and my soon to be complete Warmoth Fretless.

Last year I sold 20 or so basses I didn't use much. The ones that come to mind were 6 aluminum neck Kramers, couple Guild B302 basses, T-40, Fender Elite II, Ovation Magnum I, Washburn B20, Washburn Bantum, a couple other Steinberger XP-2's a few other odd ball basses. Had to make room cause my house is tiny and I had basses in every room except the kitchen and the bathroom.