1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How many Basses Does Everbody bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harpo, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I am just wondering how many Basses does everbody Bring to a Gig or Rehersal ?

2. I only have one bass...:( . But when I get my five stringer in a month or so, I'll bring both to practice and gigs :D

3. Usually 2. 1 fretted, 1 fretless. Sometimes, I'll bring a second fretted.

Jeff

Leiria likes this.
  4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just one. There's really no point in bringing the DC, the Status does everything i want to do better. I'll probably bring the DC to gigs after I defret it though.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I never brought more than one.
    But I've never really played anything but originals, and I never broke a string on a gig - I broke my last string more than 5 years ago.

6. 1 bass for rehearsals, 2 basses to gigs- I always take a backup- usually the Hohner B2A cricket bat headless- it takes up hardly any space in the car.

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    My MTD Kingston and Yamaha BX-1. It's all I have for now.

8. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I take my fretted and fretless with me to most rehearsals and gigs. I usually end up using both.

9. I bring 3 basses to gigs. A four string, A five string, And an eight string.

10. rooster

rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    i bring two to gigs and one to practice.my warrior 5 and my geddy lee jazz.:D

and remember as always rock till ya drop !!!!

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I only play one, but *always* bring a backup.

The only severe failure I've had was a broken nut (okay, laugh it up... ;)). But a backup is good to have even for minor failures, such as a broken string.

I've only had a handful of bass failures of any type, but none kept me down for long. A backup brings peace of mind. Ya never know when something bad might happen.

the ombudsman likes this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oh... all I play is 5-string fretted, so I only bring one bass to rehearsal

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    It depends on the gig, I bring only one if it is only a one set (15song) gig but if I'm playing all night I bring two.

14. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Two basses, each a different tuning. When I get a third bass this summer, it'll be three (two mains and a multi purpose backup),

edit- both gigs and practice.

15. two: 1 four string and one 6 string

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    All I play is 5ers, and I only bring one of them to rehearsal (either the Peavey or the Modulus, depends on my mood that day;) )

For gigs, I bring both. I usually play the Modulus for 2 sets and the Peavey for one (don't like to make it feel left out, ya know:D )

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One for rehearsal, two for gigs. I just like having choices.

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    One for rehearsal, unless I'm trying to get used to a new bass or a new brand / gauge of strings.

Usually two for a gig. The second is purely back up.

Peace,

James

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    2 for gigs.

I usually bring my steinberger as a backup. It's small enough that it's never in the way, sounds cool and of course looks nifty too. :D

My primary bass is always my Jazz V Deluxe, or my 75 reissue Jazz.

20. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Two... the only 'critical' failures that I have had at gigs were times when I only brought a single bass. I believe in being prepared. I also carry an extra set of drumsticks. Last night was the second time that this little habit saved the gig!! :D

-robert