How many Basses Does Everbody bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Harpo, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I am just wondering how many Basses does everbody Bring to a Gig or Rehersal ?
  2. I only have one bass...:( . But when I get my five stringer in a month or so, I'll bring both to practice and gigs :D
  3. Usually 2. 1 fretted, 1 fretless. Sometimes, I'll bring a second fretted.

4. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just one. There's really no point in bringing the DC, the Status does everything i want to do better. I'll probably bring the DC to gigs after I defret it though.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I never brought more than one.
    But I've never really played anything but originals, and I never broke a string on a gig - I broke my last string more than 5 years ago.
  6. 1 bass for rehearsals, 2 basses to gigs- I always take a backup- usually the Hohner B2A cricket bat headless- it takes up hardly any space in the car.
  7. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    My MTD Kingston and Yamaha BX-1. It's all I have for now.
  8. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I take my fretted and fretless with me to most rehearsals and gigs. I usually end up using both.
  9. I bring 3 basses to gigs. A four string, A five string, And an eight string.
  10. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    i bring two to gigs and one to warrior 5 and my geddy lee jazz.:D

and remember as always rock till ya drop !!!!
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I only play one, but *always* bring a backup.

The only severe failure I've had was a broken nut (okay, laugh it up... ;)). But a backup is good to have even for minor failures, such as a broken string.

I've only had a handful of bass failures of any type, but none kept me down for long. A backup brings peace of mind. Ya never know when something bad might happen.
    the ombudsman likes this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oh... all I play is 5-string fretted, so I only bring one bass to rehearsal
  13. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    It depends on the gig, I bring only one if it is only a one set (15song) gig but if I'm playing all night I bring two.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Two basses, each a different tuning. When I get a third bass this summer, it'll be three (two mains and a multi purpose backup),

edit- both gigs and practice.
  15. two: 1 four string and one 6 string
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    All I play is 5ers, and I only bring one of them to rehearsal (either the Peavey or the Modulus, depends on my mood that day;) )

For gigs, I bring both. I usually play the Modulus for 2 sets and the Peavey for one (don't like to make it feel left out, ya know:D )
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One for rehearsal, two for gigs. I just like having choices.
  18. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    One for rehearsal, unless I'm trying to get used to a new bass or a new brand / gauge of strings.

Usually two for a gig. The second is purely back up.

19. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    2 for gigs.

I usually bring my steinberger as a backup. It's small enough that it's never in the way, sounds cool and of course looks nifty too. :D

My primary bass is always my Jazz V Deluxe, or my 75 reissue Jazz.
  20. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Two... the only 'critical' failures that I have had at gigs were times when I only brought a single bass. I believe in being prepared. I also carry an extra set of drumsticks. Last night was the second time that this little habit saved the gig!! :D