1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many basses have you bought (and how many have you sold) over the past 10 years?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kesslari, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Less than 5

93 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. 6-10

70 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. 11-15

37 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. 16-20

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. 21-30

24 vote(s)
    8.2%
  6. 31-50

17 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. 51-75

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. 75-100

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. More than 100

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. I can't count that high

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  11. Are you kidding? I create basses alchemically out of carrots.

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I joined TB just a bit over 10 years ago, and I had one bass... and that one bass wasn't quite right for me.

Since them I've bought 11 basses and sold 8 basses (leaving me with 4, which is more than I need but is fine by me). That's just about 1 bass per year (bought, a bit less sold).

I suspect that as TB average goes I'm a bit low, but I'm curious how low.

GrapeBass, Spidey2112 and Wisebass like this.
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Not that many in the past 10 years.

But 10 years before THAT, I was a total gear slut!

JimB52 likes this.
  3. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    8 years playing. 9 current basses. 45 bought and sold (serial killers keep lists). Some of these were bought to flip, and others I played/gigged then sold.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    JRA likes this.
  4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Bought 6-10, sold zero.
    I don't buy instruments I don't like.

Giffro, PillO, Groove Doctor and 2 others like this.
  5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Bought 12, traded 2, no sales.

Giffro likes this.
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've only bought three in the past 10 years: G&L JB, MIM Fender Jazz, and G&L M-2500. I bought a Fender Jazz V in early 2008, so a little more than ten years ago. Even if we count that, I'm in the "less than five" category.

In the same period, I've sold six: G&L L-1500, Fender P, DiPinto Belvedere, the Jazz V, the MIM J, and a project fretless P (parted out).

I bought my 2003 MIA J and 2007 G&L SB-2 more than ten years ago, and they've been main players throughout.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've purchased 3 instruments in the last ten years.... 4 if we count parts (body and hardware for what became my jazz bass). all of them were platforms for modding/upgrading.

prior to ten years ago: i had one fretless, one fretted, always, but there were times when i was trying out (buying) different axes --- so i had more than the two at times.

i've sold one: when i bought a fretted on sale at GC (just a body and neck for $80 --- i added the 'necessaries' with the intention of giving it to a young musician friend. he went another direction (yutes!) so i sold it to break even, but i think i may have lost $50-60 after all was said and done.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Too many too count. I would think it would easily be in the 50+ range. I bought a lot of basses with the intention of flipping them though. It is not like I was going through some kind of hunt for "the one" or anything.

gelinas666, Spidey2112 and Rockonjp76 like this.
  9. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Past ten years? I wished you would have said 30 years but then again somebody might say why not 40? EDIT; like me.

10. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Started playing bass uke 4 years ago when the leader of the seniors uke group I joined a year before asked if anyone would like to take up the bass to fill in our sound. I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years, often told I should play bass because I had good rhythm and feel, but I didn't want to be encumbered by a large electric bass, forget a double bass. When I discovered all the bass ukes and small basses available I went for it. I'm now up to 18 21" to 24" scale basses. I got rid of 3 others in that time, so 21 is my total score.

ThinCrappyTone and kodiakblair like this.
  11. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Way too many that I actually need, but hey YOLO.

12. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'm sure i'm missing at least a couple (i actually remembered two as i'm typing this) but i've bought 16, sold 12 in the past 10 years.

there's one i traded in to help my husband get his 80s ibanez artcore, but i'm not 100% sure that was 10 years ago or if it was longer. and there was a yamaha i received as a gift in 1999 but i have no idea at all when i sold it.

13. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    10 years? Hard to say as my memory for year to year placement is pretty weak.
    I'll put it this way... I joined TB in 2000, at the time I had 2 basses and had been playing since 1971ish. Over the 18 years, I've bought 4 basses and sold 2 of them. I still have the 2 originals. So, I guess less than 5.

14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi kesslari :)

I joined TB last year.

I bought my last bass in 2004! :D I love carrots!

resistance-is-fertile.

I love my basses (4), and I give them what they need! (you know how bad those girls can get?)

my GAS is more about Amps (tubes) and HPF.

Wise(b)ass

15. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    Bought 6, sold 1

dmt likes this.
  16. Bought three sold two.

17. twinjet

twinjet AJ, you're the MAN! Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Bought nine, sold seven. Down to one for gigs, one for tech/luthiery practice. I see that bass so little I almost forgot I owned it.

S-Bigbottom and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Greater Knoxville TN
    Well over 100 bought and sold. All purchased used, 80% resold, swapped or given away. Sometimes, being a gear whore............. just makes you a gear whore!

19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Bought & sold 2 Steingerber Synapse (fretless/fretted matched pair) and a Pulcinella 5 fretless.
    Still have the Roscoe 5, 6 (fretless), and 7 and a NS Design NXT5 EUB.

20. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    None sold in the past ten years. In the previous 5 it would be two. Three purchased in the past 10. Back to basics.

Spidey2112 likes this.