1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many basses have you bought (and how many have you sold) over the past 10 years?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kesslari, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Less than 5

93 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. 6-10

70 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. 11-15

37 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. 16-20

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. 21-30

24 vote(s)
    8.2%
  6. 31-50

17 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. 51-75

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  8. 75-100

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. More than 100

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  10. I can't count that high

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  11. Are you kidding? I create basses alchemically out of carrots.

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I've "acquired" 5 in the last 10 years.

Started playing casually around 92/93 (concurrently with guitar about a year earlier). Didn't own anything at the time but would play friends' and in stores.

Finally bought a bass around 99 (Kramer aluminum neck, X-20 or something like that).

Played that semi seriously in a band or 2 that never gigged over the next few years (I was always focused more on guitar and keys).

Around the early 2000s I acquired a Carvin LB-20 fretless from a friend on permanent loan (also his Bassman 10, although it's been out of commission for some time due to some minor repairs needed).

Started playing more seriously around late 2000s (ie about 10 years ago). But focused on the amp situation first.

Shortly thereafter (2012?) got loaned another Carvin (fretted LB70P) from a different friend, which became my main bass. So that's the first one acquired in the last 10 years. Still have it.

Bought another bass for the first time since the Kramer around 2015, Yamaha fretted passive 5 string. That then became my main bass.

Then in 2017, I got a better job and had a lot more disposable income. So first I bough a cool vintage 80s Yamaha P (BB300).

Then that summer I got my beautiful 94ish Carvin LB76 (6 string, for those not familiar). So that kind of alternated with the Yam 5 string (I call it the Yam because of the make and also because it's got an orange metallic mist finish) as my main, but eventually I started mostly using the 6.

Then just a few months ago, someone traded me one of the early Indonesian Squier P5s (with jazz pickups from the factory though, weird), circa late 90s/early 00s I believe. So that's going to be my "old school" sounding bass which I'll put flats on. May pull the frets off as well if I get really crazy. But probably a 5 string fretted with flats and pass J pickups will be a good beater when I want that kind of sound. Not gigging a ton right now, but my intent would be to keep it to 2-3 basses for a full length gig (ie 3 or 4 sets), and any others would mainly be for practice and recording and just to change out when I feel like it. A 5 or 6 string fretted with rounds will always be the primary though. I just like having that low B too much, and I need the crispness of rounds for my primary sound (can always roll off the tone knob to get more vintage sounds, but can't do the reverse at all).

So I haven't sold any basses at all. Acquired 5 in the last 10 years and have 7 overall. I'll probably try to keep the total to about 10, and once I have all the "slots" filled (of different types), then the process of upgrading each slot will commence. I still want a 5 or 6 string fretless, an 8 string, maybe a doubleneck with a 6 or 12 string guitar, etc... But "10" is just an ideal. If I get to a point where I find number 11 and can't figure out which one to sell because I love them all, I'm not going to dump it anyway. It's just an arbitrary "rule" to keep things from getting too out of hand.

Now, amps and cabs I've bought a ton and sold a handful. I have a pretty good selection of heads and cabs now, so I need to shed at least a couple of the cabs because they take up a ton of space that I don't really have. But I will probably always at least have big, medium, and small modern cabs plus a medium to large vintage (or vintage style) cab.

2. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark
    I took the first option assuming that it includes 5. I have sold none. 4 four string (fretless long scale, 2 x fretted long scale, fretted short scale) and one 5 string (short scale).

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Bought 12 & sold 5 over the past 10 years.

Bought 2 & sold 1 long before 10 years ago.
    Had 3 when joining TB. Then I've bought 10 and sold 5 ever since...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  4. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yep, they are amazing quality for not much money. I have one more, but it was purchased in 1979. And started it all.

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I don't blame you...one of my first basses back in the 80s was an Ibanez MC940 - terrific bass, great quality. Another bass I really liked,bought a few years ago and would recommend looking for is a 90's Ibanez SR800. It's MIJ and fully active as in having a preamp and active pickups. Back in the days, they were $800 basses and considered what the prestige basses are today so the quality is very good. These days, they can sometimes be bought pretty cheaply, I bought mine for around $100. (although typically they go for around $300 used)

bjelkeman likes this.
  6. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

up to 42 since May 2013. with 2 more being delivered next week and 1 more with a crowdfunded down payment... so that'll be 45 probably by the end of this month? 44 definitely by the end of next week.

Haven't sold a single one...…..yet

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    In 2007/2008 I was trying to get into 5 string basses. I needed the low B for the one band I was in.

Long story short, I gave up on 5 strings and sold them.

So I bought my two newest basses 13 years ago from TB. In the last 10 years I bought one bass and sold two.

8. Manichga

Manichga

Aug 13, 2013
    Australia
    hmmm, im afraid to do this, but here goes

Warwick corvette - kept
    Spector euro - sold
    Spector helium - sold
    Fender jazz - sold
    Warwick thumb - kept
    Ibanez fretless - sold
    Bongo- sold
    Warwick stream LX -sold
    Dingwall abz - kept
    Sandberg - kept
    Warwick thumb pro series - sold
    Maruszczyk - just got a few months ago, kept
    Warwick streamer cv - for sale atm

I have a problem.

bjelkeman likes this.
  9. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I've bought six basses in the last four years. I've sold one, traded one, and gave one to my guitarist.

10. B-Mac

jd56hawk likes this.
  11. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Curious about the helium and wondering why it wasn’t keep worthy.
    Thank you for the input

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Bought 32 kept 4.
    The funny thing is, the 28 I sold were all good basses.

B-Mac likes this.
  13. B-Mac

Yeah, you had some nice ones. I wish I bought that Motto you had

14. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    One, a Silvertone P-bass I picked up for $50 while my Tobias Growler was being serviced.
    Sold, as I just didn't like the chunky neck. I was charmed by the single pickup simplicity of it all.
    I'm in the market for a muy-cheapo I can leave at the office.

15. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    I'm a terrible person. In the past 10 years I've bought 2 and sold none, with a total of 3 on hand.

S-Bigbottom and B-Mac like this.
  16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I wish I had this, of course.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe I'll get lucky and find one of these.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

B-Mac likes this.
  17. B-Mac

Thanks.
    I got lucky with that Prototype by Jon Hill. I believe the gentleman that was selling his collection due to cancer passed away already.

@BradWorld might be able to help you with that other Hillsboro

18. B-Mac

You have great control and restraint plus Martins. :)

19. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Thanks.
    Did you buy the prototype not too long ago or have you had it for a while?

20. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Quite true. Also, I'm a crappy bass player who plays maybe two gigs per year. Also, the three I have are very good instruments. Also I'm almost 70 years old. GAS is seldom a problem.