1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many basses on stage?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dougie44, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Dougie44

Dougie44

Jul 1, 2012
    Michigan
    I see multiple instruments on stage all the time, guitars, fiddles, drums, keyboards and the list goes on but I don't see but one bassist on the stage
    My question is say in a jam session would it be okay to have more than bass player on stage?

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The issue is that to have a good mix, each instrument needs to have its own sonic space. Multiple instruments playing in the same frequency range can get muddy pretty fast. I've had one or two occasions of jamming with another bassist in the group, and it worked if we were careful to stay out of each other's way - one would play down below the 5th fret and the other up around the 12th, that kind of thing.

3. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    How about adding a piccolo bass?
    As a spin off from your observation, a lot of country bands seem to have two or three people off in the shadows kerchunka-chunkin away on flat tops that don't seem to be adding anything meaningful. Are these their out of work relatives or something ? :roflmao:

4. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yes it would be fine.

5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Often, those "in the shadows" dudes/dudettes are backing vocalists, hand percussionists, key, fiddle, harmonica, mandolin, pedal steel, banjo players on other songs.. they play acoustic as opposed to just standing there.
    You will notice that many times the guitar is not even plugged in :)

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Why not just let the keyboard players handle it? According to them, they are better at it than we are, anyway.

ONYX likes this.
  7. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Thank you/\/\3phist0 ! Now it makes sense. May not sound like a serious question but it was.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  8. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    I'm a big fan of multiple basses, but it happens infrequently enough that I think bassists are not used to working around each other. Meanwhile, 5 guitarists have no problem stepping on each other's lines! The last jam session I was at, I was doubling electric basslines on upright and it was fun.

9. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Life Sex & Death had 2 bass players on their unreleased cd Human Bomb ('93).