Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many cabs is enough

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddtodd, Apr 28, 2005.

1. if i bi amped my GK800RB
    with 1x15 4ohm at 300 watts and a 2x10 8ohm at 100 watts, i think that would be loud enought for gigs, but what if i just ran the 4ohm 1x15 at 300 watts for practice...?
    how loud you think that will be?

thanks

-todd

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I run ~280W into an Asho 1x15, plently loud enough against a pair of 100W 2x12 guitarists and a can-be-loud drummer. Depends on your situation, how well your band is at volume control and the head/cab though.

Ray

Edit: for reference, this was an 80s metal cover band too, so our overall volume was kind high (not on stage, but out front).

3. i was thinking of a4ohm avatar 1x15 which would be pushed with 300 watts from a gk 800 rb.
    guitarists play 50 watt JMP the other is a crappy solid state fender thru avatar 2x12..
    we arnt not a quiet band.. but not retarded loud either..
    anyone else think 1x15 4ohms 300 watts (proably avatar) would be loud enough for practice?

thanks

-todd

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    You're asking about your rig's loudness, or percieved volume, and there are several variables.

One of the most important factors is cab sensitivity. If you feed the same power to a cab with a sensitivity of 100dB and another with 103dB, the second will yield twice the percieved volume. Likewise, doubling the amp power, say from 300W to 600W, will produce the same +3db (that is, the same doubling of perceived volume) through a given cab. (This is all theoretical, and sensitivity is measured at 1W at 1kHz and cabs will have different frequency response curves, and amp specs are notoriously unreliable, but in general the theory holds up in practice.) And more speaker area will sound louder than less with the same power, and you can get constructive interference by keeping your cabs close together, on the floor, and in the corner of the room (although that may make things boomy/muddy), etc....

EQ is another factor. It takes more power to produce the same percieved loudness for low frequencies than higher frequencies. So if you cut out your lows and low mids, you will be audibly louder; then again, your tone will suffer. In a band situation, it's wise to consider the tone spectrum and each instrument's place in it. For instance, allot the bass drum the lowest frequencies, say below 120 Hz, roll off the bass' lows and emphasize the low mids, say up to 600-800 Hz, and convince your guitar players to roll off their low end (they probably love the crunchy tone of the lows when hearing themselves alone). Get tight with the drummer's right foot, take on the concept that your bass adds the tone/note to every bass drum hit and his bass drum adds the thump to your notes. The overall sound of the ensemble will be more balanced as the individual instruments will not be competing with each other as much in the frequency spectrum, and your bass lines will 'cut through' and be heard better and not be as affected by differences in the guitarists' volume.

I know the question was "will it be loud enough?" Sorry for the not-so-simple answer, but in truth, "it depends...".

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Depends on how loud you practice really. I honestly would suggest seeking out more speaker surface, just for the heck of it. It never hurt anyone.

Depending on your money.... I'd do:
    B212 (4ohms).... that would surely be louder than the 115.
    or
    B210 (8ohms) + SB112 (8ohms).... pricier, but it would be way portable.

The B212 isnt much more than the B115, and has a much more balanced type of tone. I'd highly recommend it.

6. I used to go to band practice with an Avatar B115 and 275 watts of power. I had no problem keeping up a fairly loud drummer, two guitarists with Fender twins, and one vocalist. I am sure it would work for you unless you guys are extremely loud.

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    When I can kill children and small animals at 30 paces.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.

ROFL LMAO

Go Chargers

10. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    3 :ninja:

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I believe TomB can confirm that!

Alex

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Have I missed something here? The GK 800RB goes to 4ohms min load right? Or does that change when bi-amping? I thought the only Gk that could do 2ohms was the 2001rb.

4+8ohm = 2.67ohms... Wouldn't that fry the GK?

13. Two of my bandmates have expressed their desire for me to not use the GBE600 and the Megoliath 810 in practice anymore because they say it is too loud and prefer me to use the Carvin probass 300 combo with a single 15" driver. I understand not wanting to overkill practice, but I never push my big rig to the limit in practice, and generally prefer to use it simply because I get the tone I want out of it and it cuts throug better, the Carvin, while not sounding bad by any means, just gets lost and sounds like mud in a full band mix, often times not even able to be heard. Jerks.

14. GK "low" out 300 watts at 4 ohms "high" 100 watts at 8 ohms while bi amping.
    donesn't this mean i can put (1) 4 ohm or (2) 8ohm thry the low input and (1) 8 ohm cab thru the high while biamping?

-todd

15. Yes.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
  17. Ask Tom Bowlus!

18. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    42, cause everyone knows that 6 x 9 = 42..............
    :bag:

19. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    1. I use 1. Plenty loud.

20. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    Actually, in order for people to percieve a doubling in volume, you need an increase of about 10dB's. I also wouldn't put too much faith in a company's specs. Unless they all go to the same place to get tested, with an unbiased tester, they are not going to be that accurate.