1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How many Canadians own SX???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Onalargerock, Apr 15, 2009.

1. I'm thinking of getting one, but the shipping is as much as the bass, I'm out on Vancouver Island.(are they better then squier jass?)
    Also how do you like your SX and what part of canada are you from?

2. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Are SX's available at any retailers or are they strictly an online deal?

3. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I bought mine used on les pacs in montreal - probably best deal for an SX since pickup and bridge was already changed to fender noiseless and paid 200$ gig bag included - lefty no fret wear (it was a guitarist bass) man best 4 strings bass I played after my Rick of course :)

4. I bought an SX just under a year ago... 5string Jazz copy. Initial cost was $129..00, all in, was $179.00.
    No, I don't like it. It was my first kick at the 5 string cat, didn't want to spend alot of money determining whether 5 string was for me.
    I don't have any regrets, but I also don't play it very often. Feels like I'm playing a telephone pole!
    I'm in Toronto.
    Fishheadjoe

5. I have one. We've had 3 all together - one was stolen, so I bought a second one. Then my girlfriend got one after her Squier was stolen. Don't pay $400 for another Squier, I said.. get the SX, $200 and it's a better bass!

6. Not sure what being Canadian has to do with owning a SX.....:meh:

7. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    If we can get 10 people together, we can start a political party.

8. I think he's buying from the US and is getting killed with shipping costs. This isn't a problem for US residents...

9. If shipping to B.C. really means double the cost of the bass, then it's totaly not worth it.

Sx's are great cheap basses but not more than that, at 250-300 $C there are better deals to be had, especially used...

10. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I dont think they're available in canada and we must pay shipping + duty + exchange rate - last time I bought a bass from rondo (BRICE Z6) it was 479$ and it cost me 680$ total I'm happy for the price but still 200$ more...

11. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I think Toe Blake and Eddie Shore both have 2 each.

G

12. aznsk1d

aznsk1d

Jan 8, 2009
    Toronto
    I live in Toronto, and own two SX basses, the 5 String P-Bass and the 4 String P-Bass. I've modded both. These basses are hit and miss, in that you could get one that is badly built, or you can get one that some might say is on par with American made Fenders. The shipping is the bulk of the price of these basses!

I'd recommend them for anyone who is on a budget (you could mod them for another $200-$300 <pickups, bridge, tuners> and have a kickass bass made of the same kind of wood they use in the U.S. Fenders). Also good for beginners or guitarists who just want a bass to play around with.

For the price, you can't go very wrong... the main risk is damage in shipping, which happened with mine.. arrived with a ding in it and it was just too much of a pain to send it back. Rondo music will refund or cover the cost of shipping if this happens though.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

i had 2 SX basses shipped to me in Toronto. Shipping and Duties was $50 or so. Under $200 all in for a 4 string fretless Jazz and just over $200 for a 5er Jazz was a great deal IMO.

Too bad the basses sucked. I sent them both back due to crappy construction and was refunded in full (including return shipping!).

Great customer service, terrible basses. Of course, this is just in my limited experience. Many here swear by them. Maybe I just was unlucky and got 2 lemons!

14. just did the dirty and orderd the $89 jazz special the email said shipping includes custom fees and GST then thats not that bad a squier afintity jazz is $300 so for around $200 canadian what the hay!!!This will be my practice axe.
    save the nice stuff for fender Jazz Highwayone and my new Fender FSR sonic Blue Jazz (only 200 made in 2008)

15. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I have one and I love it. I bought a sub 100$ p-bass tough and I live in Quebec City, wich is not very far from the border so in all, I think it was 137 $ Be aware that you must like BIG NECKS.

I also bought it when we were at parity, so no exchange rate problems !

To answer the underlying question, are they worth it, it really depends on the used market around where you live. I know that if I lived in Montreal, where there are a lot of pawnshops and individual selling basses, I'd buy a used Squier before an SX. I'd be able to play it first, not wait and I wouldn't have to pay any customs.

But if I lived in an area where the used market is not thriving, SX would be a lot more attractive. Rondo takes the bass and refunds you if you get a dud.

16. I am Canadian (Molson Canadian Parody)

17. I bought a tele with a hardshell tweed bass case and had it shipped to my door in Montreal for $210 Can.

18. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Alberta here, I got mine a couple of years ago.

Cost me $220 after all was said and done for shipping/duty and exchange rate.

Still, totally worth it.

About a week later, a local pawn shop/music store (they stock some legit brands and are listed as dealers) started stocking the SX starter packs...I think I must have played at least 10 different basses included in these packs (that were selling for $350), and they all played like crap, far worse than my P.

I thought I was content with it, but I played a Classic Vibe Squier a while ago...I think there might be one in my future.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Best bet is to buy one off the TB classifieds or look for one on craigslist.

I've owned 4 SXs of one sort or another and only bought the first one from Rhondo. After I realized how much the shipping and duties are, I refuse to buy directly from Rhondo.

They do have some decent basses for the cash though.

You can also often find a used Squire on Craigslist for around $100cdn and IMO they are often just as good.

Get a good fret dressing and pro setup and either one will do fine.

20. thanks for all the input real good stories about the sx's,I will post when I get mine and tell you what I think of them.