Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many chances should I give it!!?!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Pure venting here folks. I've been playing with the Mud Prophets for about five years, give or take a year. In that time, we have completely failed to get anywhere, locally, personally, anything. I think the problem is a combination of my personality and the personality of the guitarist singer. Together, we have the ability to over-plan, out-think ourselves, and beat ourselves into boredom with idea after idea that never get acted upon. There have been times I've thought of quitting, and one time when I actually did quit. In every case, he has talked me into giving it another try. What am I thinking, you ask? Good question! I feel like I'm in a crappy soap opera or something. We are always, "poised" or "on the brink" of getting some "major recognition" or some such nonsense. Maybe one of these times it could be true, but with a 0 average, I doubt it. I think I need to move on and stay out this time. OK rant over.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get your gigs, play each one like it's the only one you'll ever play. If you're good enough, the rest will take care of itself.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, I have had a lot of other offers....

4. It's never easy to let go of a steady thing, but, if I've read between the lines correctly, you're already out of the band mentally.

Sleep on it 'till after the holidays, it'll probably be crystal clear by then.

Good luck, Bliss.

Mike :)

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    What do you want from the band? Are you likely to achieve it?

If the answer is no; then write some material, make some demos, get some people interested, leave the Mud Prophets and go balls out. Can you type balls on this BBS?

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You guys are right on the money. I can't write for this band anymore. I'm going to take both of your advice. Thanks!

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, as with most serious musicians, music is probaly one of your main liveleyhoods (sp). I've always said, "If your not happy with your musical situation, look at what the problem is and fix it".

As a musician, sometimes you have to be shelfish.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

SIDE PROJECT!!!!!

Dont quit, do something else that makes you happy and it may reflect on your old band.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have no time for that. I wish I did.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool! I think that I'll be an oyster.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Oysterman is gonna be pissed. You better be a scallop or a clam.

12. Don't be a clam. Those are bad.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Dagnaybit, a witty remark to my bad spelling. :D

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    :D yeah, but your point was clear anyway.

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    What?

Shelf-ish?

Wuzzat?

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is why i never stay with one band

i always go with the highest paying gig

playing with various bands keeps me on my toes, makes you really think as a musician

17. man, i have heard some of your stuff, and it kicks ass. ive had problems with my band and i had to learn how to deal with different personalities but it seems like that i f you have been with this band for that long and youre not getting anywhere, find some active, creative musicians in your area that you get along with and try that out. i agree, if what you love doesnt make you happy, then your not around the right people.

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks evilbrian! It's a done deal at this point. I called the drummer last night and met up with the guitarist singer this AM. Everyone is cool with it, disappointed, but OK.

19. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I know EXACTLY how you feel! I just went through the same thing with my band last night! They were disappointed, but they were cool with it, and in my case, I told them that I would play with them until we can find a suitable replacement.

Be confident that you did the right thing, you gotta look out for #1, you know? :D

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I feel good about it. The band seems to be over altogether at this point, but it's for the best. After discussing it with the rest of them, it looks like they would have gotten to my point sooner or later anyway. We are still working on scoring a unique history presentation together, so it's not an entire separation. I'm actually very happy about that. I'm sure we'll do some other projects together in the future as well.

edit: spelin. :D