Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many compression horns to keep up with a couple of 18s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Feb 25, 2006.

1. I'm in the process of designing a couple of custom 'cabs' (with the ' marks because its not a single cab per se, but moreso a small speaker array designed for full range sound), and I need to know how many Eminence PSD2002S-8 (as seen here) I would need to keep up with an array of one 18" speaker, one 10" speaker, and one 6.5" speaker. Complicated, I know, but I figure its similar to how full-scale PA systems are set up. I'll eventually tweak it all power-wise so that none of the speakers are overly-loud, but I still need to know how many 80 watt (RMS) horns I'll need to produce volume equal to the other 3 combined. Oh, and if it matters, each speaker size (be it a single 18 or two 10s) gets a maximum of 300 watts tube power to deal with.

Or is there some little thing, possible SPL ratings, that I'm just not understanding. If so, I'd like to know to know the real deal!

Thanks all!

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    One.

3. I like it! Thank you very much Bill.

-Patrick

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    A second vote for "one". Horns are generally more efficient than cone based speakers. I fact even with only one, there's still a chance it might be too loud for the other drivers. If so, you'll have to attenuate it but before we get to worried about that, lets see how it sounds as is.