How many DB'ers are into Jazz or have played it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, May 27, 2003.

1. Only Play Jazz and Love it!

20 vote(s)
  2. I have played Jazz and Love it as well as other stuff!

49 vote(s)
  3. I occasionally play Jazz and am every interested in it.

3 vote(s)
  4. I don't play Jazz, but would like to read more about it .

4 vote(s)
  5. I don't like Jazz but I have played it occasionally as it pays.

3 vote(s)
  6. I don't Like Jazz and have never played it, but am slightly interested.

1 vote(s)
  7. I have no interest in Jazz whatsoever!

4 vote(s)
  1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought it might be interesting after reading Chris suggestion for improvements to find out how many over here in DB-land are into Jazz?

So I am asking DB players here, but maybe also peopel interested in this forum and vistors - EUB players maybe, or anyone who visits; although it would be good to find out from the poll what proportion of people are into Jazz.
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Bruce, you don't seem to have engaged the question of "What Is Jazz."

My proposal is, "For the purpose of this discussion, if you think it's jazz, you're right: It's jazz."
  3. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    this might be a very interesting poll...

but i think there are more jazz and bluegrass db´s active in the net than there are classical folks around...

gruesze sebastian
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Fair enough - seems eminently sensible! Nobody is excluded!
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I listen to jazz a lot more than I play it.
    I like a Real Book jam from time to time.
    I play JazzRock with one of my 2 bands.
  6. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I can't do much in the way of soloing, but I am a definite wannabe jazzer from time to time. My main gig involves much improvisation, but its not really what most people would call jazz. More like (cringe) 'groove music'... Although my main gig is starting to mold more towards rock at this point, I am looking to start up a jazz trio to keep in shape.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm still a wannabe as far as jazz is concerned. My background is in blues, C&W, rock, etc.

I jam now and then with friends hacking out of the Real Book but I am still mired in mechanics, never mind being able to respond to the other players.

I actually had to turn down a great jazz gig recently because I knew I would only embarass myself in front of the other players.

Maybe someday :rolleyes:
  8. The gigs I play are 90% jazz gigs. The other 10% comprises shows, weddings and some chamber/orchestral stuff.

I have really no preference for playing either classical or jazz, its just that there's more opportunity to play jazz around here (and you don't have to rehearse!). I get the same satisfaction out of playing either.
  9. Well Bruce,
    My two cents worth is that I LIVE for D/Bass and Jazz NOW... however, being 51 yrs old I spent the years from 16 to about 30 playing the Rock/ Cabaret circuit and really enjoyed it. I found Jazz about 21 years ago and DB about 15 years ago.
    The problem is, I only get to play MY jazz about 1-2 times a week however, still get to play the rock crap about the same per week.The problem is that I don't get the KICK any more out of the rock crap,(maybe I'm just TOOOOO Old) my ONLY buzz these days is to sit down with my TRIO and knock out the likes of "Milestones" while closing my eyes and thinking about what "Scotty" would be playing if he were still here!
    My only regret is that I didn't find the DB and for that matter JAZZ in general at about 15 or 16 years of Scotty or NHOP or maybe RB(RIP). perhaps I could be a fair sort of a player by now! Who Knows! :meh:
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Me too!! I am very envious of people who do get this chance - I've met a few 16-18 year olds who are into Jazz and they can be quite frightening - how fast they pick things up and develop! ;)
  11. I have a saxophonist friend who often lets his son, who is all of 11 years old, sit in at his gigs. The kid is also taking lessons with Larry Gray, who is the first-call bass player in Chicago.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Th year before last on Jazz Summerschool, my "small band" for the week - had a 15-year-old trumpeter who was great and incredibly mature for his age. He helped me out when I lost the form, on stage, one night!! ;)

I have also met several other Father and Son combinations - who play Jazz together.
  13. I play jazz and that's it. Even though I'm only 21, I too wish I had come to jazz a little earlier. College really opened my eyes to jazz about two and a half years ago. I didn't make the switch to DB until a year and a half ago. I've only been playing gigs on DB for ten months. I've always been around jazz because my dad plays sax and I was in "jazz band" in high school, but I just didn't have the passion I have for it now. I'm convinced jazz has to come to you on your own and not forced upon you. That's one reason I love it so much.:)
  14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I really wish I liked jazz. I have been playing for all-to-close to 20 years know, and I have never been able to grasp it.

I do love much about jazz musicians. IMO, they seem to have the best sense of true musicianship. The way good jazz guys can be so well grounded in theory and yet so creative is a great tribute to the genre.

But, simply put, I can't stand to listen most all improv jazz. In fact, it goes beyond dislike to disturbing. I aliken it to being in a room full of pre-schoolers. It is pure and simple sensory overload to me. More than just a few minutes of it makes me physically uncomfortable and at a minimum destroys my mental capacity.

This very fact has always left me wanting. There is a subdued sense among many musicians whom I have met over the years that you haven't really gotten "it" as a musician until you grow to appreciate jazz. So, I do have at least some sense that I am missing something.

I very much enjoy what I guess you would call "traditional" jazz, especially that which is vocally centered. I also enjoy swing/bigband a great deal, which branches off the same fork as jazz at some point. (I think)

I just don't know. Perhaps I'll always be left wanting.

15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    With DB, I play mainly in an orchestral setting, but I also dabble in the jazz band, and I love it. I also like jazz with the plank.

I like playing in the orchestra, and in symphonic band on tuba, but that is a more serious setting. The music is serious, the setting is serious. I like the serious setting and the more "professional" atmosphere.

Jazz is just plain fun :)
  16. Bruce Lindfield

If you mean by this : "Free Jazz" - then I know quite few professional Jazz musicians who feel the same way.

At Jazz Summerschool, they introduced Free Jazz to the curriculum the year before last - when the group doing this, played on stage in the evening - one of the tutors, walked across in front of them on the stage and made a point of packing his stuff up and leaving during the performance, although he was scheduled to play later - like a sort of protest?
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Well - only 1 person so far, has no interest in Jazz - it would be interesting to hear what that person does play on Double Bass and like?

Everybody who has replied so far seems to have some interest.

Maybe anybody who has no interest, could tell us what they would be more interested in seeing, in the Double Bass forums?
  18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Perhaps that is what I am referencing. As long as there is some structure to it that I can understand, I am OK with it.

On DB, I play a great variety of stuff, very little of which is jazz.

I play folk and bluegrass mostly. I have one group of friends that get together with every once in a while to play classic country.

Here of late I have had a ton of fun doing a duet with a close friend. He plays acoustic guitar and I play DB. We do our own adaptations of many classic rock/pop tunes and have great deal of fun with the vocal harmonies. It doesn't really have a folky feel, but I guess people would force it into that. We actually play the songs fairly straight to their original form.

One of my favs is our version of "Hang On Sloopy." We do Dave Clark Five stuff. A Beatle song or two. Maybe a Stones song here and there. Even Skynyrd.

Most everything I have played before, just never on DB.

It is a ton of fun and people seem to receive it fairly well.

19. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"

I've played all kinds of music. I play all kinds of jazz, post-1938. My main vein is melodic modern jazz in the tradition of Miles, Blakey, Hancock, Corea, Shaw, Holland etc. That music places a high value on composition and arrangement, but I've played lots of free-improvised and graphically-notated music over the years. Chas and Bruce's comments struck a nerve. Here's some thoughts:

* People were threatened by free-improvisation forty years ago and some still are.

* Mediocre free-jazz is as mediocre as anything else. Honking without listening is noise.

* It's just as hard to play musically without any script as is it to play a script well. Some different skills are required.

* It can be incredibly liberating to find that you and your band-mates are thoroughly in-sync and making music you never would have thought of.

* Because there are a minimum of "handles" for listeners, free-jazz really can be hard to listen to. Listeners are required to invest themselves in travelling with the musicians for the entire journey. It's not like you can leave, grab a beer and return for the final "Tall & Tan & Young & Tender" knowing exactly what's going on.

* When you hear the good stuff, WOW!

* Any fan of Bill McHenry, Dave Holland, George Garzone or Henry Threadgill, to name only a few, quickly discovers that free-improvisation ranges as far as notated song: It can be honking, it can be pretty, it can swing hard, it can be anti-groove.

* Every musician whom I've played free-improvised music with says that playing free opens their ears to new possiblities in notated music.

In short, free-improvisation is an essential part of the landscape of jazz music. None of us is obligated to travel the full landscape and few of us even attempt to. But while I have chosen to limit my musical activities to a journey down the halls of jazz, I try to keep as many doors open as possible. How about you?
  20. Bruce Lindfield

I think the points you are making here are interesting, but those I picked out are pluses for the player - but not necessarily the listener!! ;)

My regular Jazz tutor insists we do some free playing to open our ears to new possibilties - but some of the class hate it and just clam up.

I must say I love doing it and I have heard some amazing stuff - especially when the players have really listened to each other and played quietly and acoustically - magical!

But I can't say I'm fond of the type of free playing where it just seems to be about sax players 'strangling' their instruments to make as loud and unpleasant a tone as possible, seemingly oblivious to anything around them, while the rhythm section thrashes around in the background!! ;)