1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many different Fender American Jazz Bass versions exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by farewelltowords, Mar 16, 2008.

1. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    I'm thinking in buying an american jazz bass, the standard one. But from some searches i've done, there seem to be different versions of this bass. 60's version, RW, new series, etc.

The question is, what are the differences i should expect between all types of american standard jazz bass?

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Got 6 hours?

My advice is to start reading Fender's site, Fender tribute sites, Harmony Central reviews, and here. Some differences are very small, some are major. But there have been literally hundreds of different models over the years, all basically the same, but all different in their own little ways.

3. I would play some of them too! Got a GC in your area - or any local fender dealer? This is a great place to buy though (TB)...great deals. It also depends on how much money you are looking to work with. Ebay "Fender Jazz Bass" and see what pops up (styles/colors/prices/etc)! It's kind of like saying, "I've heard the earth has some ocean, which one is best?" It's up to YOU! Just my $.02! :D

4. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    I didn't know there were so many different models available!

I'm thinking in buying one in second hand from a guy who stopped playing. I already own a G&L Tribute, but i've always wanted a Fender.

The thing is i don't know which type of Standard American Fender Jazz it is... i may ask him the serial number and then send an email to Fender to know what are that specific model characteristics... is this an ok thing to do?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

5. JLP

JLP

Mar 15, 2008
    I got an 05 American Deluze v and it plays and sounds great. (Active)

6. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    4,378 different choices before factoring in aftermaket bridges etc.

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Lakland FTW!!

8. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    No matter how I rearrange the letters in Lakland I still can't the tone of a Fender.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    get the serial number and any other info you can on the bass you are looking at ... if possible take and post a few pics of it and we will tell you what it is ... to answer your question more directly, there are not that many versions of "American Standard" basses ... Fender basses, yes ... you need to be somewhat careful with terminology here, as the words 'Standard" and "American' are used as descriptives of others as well ... you can do a pretty extensive search on past topics on here, or you can simply give more details of the bass you are specifically inquiring about ...

10. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    tjh, thanks for your answer!

i found some pics of the bass:

baixo5.

baixo3.

baixo4.

baixo2.

Looks great. In this last pic i can see the serial number, so i searched in the fender site and:

""N"-prefix serial numbers denoting the 1990s were introduced in 1990. The numbers and decals were produced far in advance, and some N9 decals (denoting 1999), were inadvertantly affixed to some instruments in 1990. Consequently, some 1990 guitars bear 1999 "N9" serial numbers."

This probably is a 1999 american jazz bass, any more info you can give me on these basses?

11. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    anyone?

12. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    Need some more info on this.

13. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    no one has a jazz bass from the late 90s?

14. I do and yours appears to be a 1990-1991 model. The late 'N' series truss rod adjustment was at the heel.

15. Farewelltowords,

The tuners and the neckplate do not appear to be period correct. The American Standard tuners had closed backs (approx.1984-07) and the neckplate was stamped "Fender" till mid 1995.

16. Regardless of what the headstock says, it looks like a MIM Jazz.

17. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    1999 or 2000 MIA

How does it play & sound?

18. farewelltowords

farewelltowords

Jul 22, 2006
    Parabolic Box, why? What are the differences between MIM and MIA in terms of look?

So, to see if i get this right, this is a jazz bass from 99 or 2000 or a 1990/91 one with different tuners and neckplate?

19. Tuners, neck plate, and I think the bridge. But needs a better picture to look at. I'm not sure when MIA models got rid of the skunk stripe, though.

20. It does appear to be a 1990 but the hardware (tuners,strap buttons,neckplate,bridge etc.) are not original.

Here is a photo of a 1990 USA Fender Jazz with a 1990 Fender Ultra Strat.

92001195.pTmDA3E7.StratUltraandJazzBass2.