How many do NOT play or own a 5 string and stick only with a 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimS, Apr 30, 2003.

stuck on 4 or also 5?

Poll closed May 30, 2003.
  1. 4 string only

159 vote(s)
  2. 4 and 5 string

49 vote(s)
  3. 5 string only

36 vote(s)
  4. 6 or more strings only

9 vote(s)
  5. some mixture of the above

9 vote(s)
  1. Am I the only traditionalist? I have two 4s. I think of getting a 5 as occasionally it would come in handy in my band but I have no problems sticking with the 4. I just love the 4 for many reasons.
  2. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I have four 4s (P, J, fretless and hollowbody) and no interest right now in anything with 5 or more. I guess that could change at some point, but right now four strings are challenging enough for me.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - what do people who play 6,7 or 8 (etc.) string basses put - :confused: - JT posted a comprehensive poll asking what people play - why not just look at this?
  4. Bruce,

Because I forgot about it. Where's the "egg on my face" icon?
  5. Currently I have three 4's (P-clone, Reverend, fretless Jazz). I have owned two 5's (Hamer and a Yamaha). I might give the 5 a try again at some point, but I just didn't use them...the B string was (as I've heard said frequently) the world's most expensive thumb rest.
  6. grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    4 is plenty

if i could fine one of those Tony Levin 3-string's, i'd play that too
  7. Bruce Lindfield

8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I have two 4 stringers right now, but that's all subject to change, but as of right now and for the past 8 years, 4 srtings have been fine for me.

p.s.- if people did searches before any thread to see if it's been done before, half the new threads would not be here, and it would be much harder for me to procrastinate here. :rolleyes: :D
  9. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IIRC that poll was checkbox and not radiobutton, so some of those 1700 also play 5 or more. That doesn't negate what you said, it's just a clarification.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Well - only by me!
  12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I'm impressed. We made it almost 48 hours without another 4 vs. 5 string thread.

13. :D
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey jim, no need to feel bad - that poll that i set up that bruce is pointing at wouldn't necessarily answer your question anyway - there's no way to tell whether someone is playing only a 4 or a 4 and a 5 on that poll.

that being said, what about us non-4 string non-5 stringers, huh? what about us, huh? :mad: ;)
  15. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I own 2 5s right now, but I am building a warmoth 4. I'm building the 4 for a couple of reasons. First, I am finding that I rarely (if ever) use notes below low D, so a hipshot extender should do the trick. I also believe that the 4 string will be lighter than a warmoth 5.

I've only owned two other 4s, my first bass, which was a peavey dynabass, and a warmoth streamer proM. I ditched them because I thought I needed the B string. However, I don't think that is quite true anymore. I should be able to adapt to the 4, and I am betting that my technique will be much better on 4.
  16. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i have 4- 4 strings and 1- 5; i bought the fiver, a reverend rumblefish based upon having a 4 string 'fish that i love and i came across a good deal on the 5 i couldn't pass up. that said, i disliked the 5 right away--huge neck, different balance, got lost on the strings etc. actually let it sit for a couple of months and rarely played it. just recently however, i've picked it up and fooled around with it a little and have actually enjoyed it! Am I becoming a 5 string convert? (gasp!):eek:
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    With the exception of the upright, all of my basses are 5s. I love those low notes.
  18. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I currently have a 5 string, but I can definitley deal with a 4 sting bass. I rarely use the fifth string.
  19. I've never owned a five, just played them in stores. Thats obviously not a reason to knock them, I really enjoyed the Peavey Cirrus five strings, and loved riding a low D in blues progressions and what not. Im going to be buying a new bass, and sticking with four, mostly because I don't think I'd use five enough. Eventually I see myself with fives and sixers, but I love four very much right now. Plus muting all those extra strings while slapping might make me pass out and crap my pants. :meh: :)