Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many female bassists are there on this board?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by SottoVoce, Oct 22, 2000.

1. SottoVoce

SottoVoce

Sep 16, 2000
    Canada
    I feel so lonely . . .

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Looks like, rather than being "SottoVoce" you are "Vox clamente in deserto" ? ;)

3. SottoVoce

SottoVoce

Sep 16, 2000
    Canada
    Pardon?

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Please, SottoVoce, don't, we're your pals.
    I remember that on the 2Xbasslist there was a thread on bass and pregnancy, so it is possible to bring specific topics to these discussions...

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A lone voice crying out in the wilderness - I must admit I haven't seen many female double bass players, although I have met two Jazz players in the UK and shared a flat with one when I was at college. Paula Gardiner is based in Wales in the UK and teaches Jazz and has released a couple of CDs under her name as a band leader. I went to some of her bass classes, when I was at the Jazz Summerschool at the University of Glamorgan.

Paula has her own website :

http://www.hargar.freeserve.co.uk/index.html

[Edited by Bruce Lindfield on 10-26-2000 at 05:54 AM]

6. Here in the Big Apple, in the classical scene, where auditions are played behind screens and the competition is ferocious, female bassists are everywhere, including the Philharmonic and the Met. If you have the stuff, and they do, you get the gig, regardless of instrument.

7. Bluegrass has some. They usually just use one finger plucking and generally are quite precise about finger placement on the board. Not like us guys who beat the daylights out of the dog and grab the neck, using our hand to get to the note. We all play the songs though so there ain't no right or wrong way, I guess. Female bassist in Bluegrass are common and play as well as the guys, just a bit diff on the technique, IMHO. Come on down to the Birthplace of Country Music!!

8. Aletheobass

Aletheobass Guest

May 2, 2004
    Nevada
    hey! what do mean precise placement on the fingerboard? lol. bluegrass and country may be cool dude but jazz is still the best! anyone have any tips for getting the swing of jazz? :help: i need help badly, so if you have any idea at all it'll be greatly appreciated! thanx!
    and here in nevada female bassists totally dominate! u should see the orchestras here! :D

9. I'm a female bassist! You're not alone!

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Whatever happened KATSMEOW? Last I recall, she was prepping for a recital, while simultaneously considering selling her bass.

11. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hehe, I saw a death metal band last night that was a lot like cannibal corpse who had a female bassist :eek: She played fingerstyle and did some cool triplets to. Haha.. I believe she also had a grim reaper tattoo on her shoulder, that was METAL :D

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Here y'go, INSECT, happy trails....
    www.mapquest.com

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    The international channel up here played a clip of a asian all Woman orchestra a month or so ago. My only complaint was they only showed 20 seconds, and I couldn't understand what the anchors were saying about them.

14. javabird

javabird

Jun 11, 2003
    Minnesota
    Of the two orchestras I play in, the South Dakota Symphony Orchestra (Sioux Falls) bass section has 4 out of 8 females, and Bloomington (MN) Symphony Orchestra has 3 out of 6.

I guess bass babes are no longer the novelty we used to be...isn't it wonderful?

15. I'm a girly, but I don't play DB.

Yet. :D

16. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Hi there,

Another female bassist saying Hi. We are here. ;)

17. Chandra

Chandra

Jul 1, 2003
    Athens, GA
    I'm another female db player. In our community symphony we had an all female section (4 of us!) for much of last season. Then we let in a single male.

18. Momamony

Momamony

Apr 29, 2004
    Eastern US
    For me, my age has been a much bigger concern than negotiating the
    bass with female body parts or even carrying the bass around. I didn't
    start playing bass until my mid-forties and had no background in
    any other string instrument (well, piano.)

19. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Hi Momamomy,

I took up DB in my mid-forties as well. I agree that the physical dynamics at first were challenging, including getting the bass from one place to another. I have been studying with a female teacher for a last few months who has taught me a lot about playing without it being a physical strain. I also play electric bass and keyboard instruments.

20. She's not on these boards, but one of Vancouver's most sought after (jazz) bassists is a female, Jody Proznick.