1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many Fender P bass players strum thier bass like this guy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibenbackerbass, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Amazing technique!! :p

2. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    he's not really strumming it, he just pretends to be.

I've done (hope im not alone) similar stuff, for "stage prescence" if you will. For some audiences, you are not "playing hard" unless the right hand moves up and down! :bassist: <--------like this!

3. Well you don't actually play or sing during a music video shoot or TV performance (sometimes you do for the latter though).

The Who look terribly awkward in the video for "Substitute:"

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    A strummed P--and subliminal lyrics...

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I dunno, if your right hand muting technique is decent and you're only letting the right notes ring, it's possible to "strum" like that if you're playing simple stuff. I do it sometimes when I play with a pick and it's fun although I know it's not exactly what you'd call economy of motion.

6. Edison Lighthouse play a charity event down the road from me very year...I know the guy who books them, and he's not allowed to book anyone else! It's them one Saturday, and Chicory Tip the next!

He runs the table tennis club, and it's something to do with that!

7. not as great as this guys piano or guitar technique (by the way the drummer and bassist swapped for this video)

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yeah, I "strum" like that at times, either with a pick or my index finger. It's just another tool in the kit.

9. This band is STILL together? That is amazing. Do they still use GBX amplifiers? I had one of those back in the 70's. Oh man, the horror, the horror!

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Is it just me or are there no strings on that bass ?

11. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Ahem...ghey

12. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    I always wonder if when they film their promo shoots they have to endure the drummer playing the rhythm the whole time (how do you mime hitting drums?) and just get the song relayed to them on a PA for them to approximate.

I guess if you saw the bassist playing fingerstyle you would be thinking he wasn't doing anything. Exadurated movements help the magic happen!

13. Rezlax31

Rezlax31

Feb 14, 2008
    Reminds me of Noel Redding.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... he said, "love grows" ... hhhhhhehh heh hhhhhhheh heh heh ... heh heh heh heh ...

15. Why bother even "look" like your playing if you're obviously not. That is just awful...I hate fake crap like that

16. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    Heh. When Blondie was on American Bandstand the bass player had his guitar cable wrapped around his bass & just ran scale like patterns up & down the neck.

When Van Morrison was on, they didn't count him in, so as the harmonica solo that began one of his songs started, he quickly whipped the harmonica out of his pocket to play along.

It was an era where musicians didn't take tv appearances so seriously because the TV stuff of the era was so of-the-last-era and a bit of a joke. Nowadays that poor girl.. whatshername, gets her career destroyed for one little flub on SNL.

17. That was live....you can hear Jimmi play a bum note at the beginning of Hey Joe and then re-tune. Awesome vid.

18. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    I can't believe Jimi ever kept that thing in tune as hard as he worked that tremelo bar with no locking nut.

19. benjo09

benjo09

Jan 9, 2008
    Muse occasionally do it to take the mick when TV don't let them play live. Did it the other week in Italy as well :)

20. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I dont see why they wouldnt just play and then use a recording for the actually sound, instead of just pretending to play thats awkward.

When i saw the title of strumming a p bass i thought this was going to be about pete wentz lol