How many fingers do you use?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Ben E, May 9, 2000.

1. Ben E

Ben E

May 3, 2000
    I've been playing with my index, middle, and thumb, but is it easier to play if I learn to do it with my ring and pinky aswell?

How many fingers do you use????????????????

[​IMG] (I love these faces)

2. I think it´s best to use thumb, index, middle & ring... not my pinky

I think that´s the most common thing to do [​IMG] but hey, that´s just me..

hmm... what´s that noice??? AHHHHHHH!!

3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999 many as she'll allow!
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think JimK is saying : "to do what?!"

Or it might be something along the lines of "I'm bored with this topic now" as it has come up 15 times already in various guises.

I use more fingers to play the piano. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Bruce Lindfield (edited May 10, 2000).]
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I use all the digits of my fretting hand, depending on the situation. If playing a "standard" bassline, I'll use fingers 1,2,3 (index, middle, ring) in the pattern, 1,2,1,3,1,2,1,3...etc. (I think Gary Willis plays like this). If slapping, I use my thumb and fingers 1,2 and 4 for snapping. I use my little finger to pull on the G string (I use very light strings, 30-50-65-85), while my middle finger pulls the D string and my index pulls the A occassionally.

6. MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Three for me! I use index, middle, ring and I try not to force myself into any set pattern. Although in general I stick to a 3-2-1, 3-2-1. In depends on the figering of my left hand.

Just make sure that each finger you use can pluck the string with a decent amount of power. [​IMG]
  7. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Unless, its really busy, I just use my thumbs.
  8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I play with my toes. And BOY, does my bass stink... [​IMG]

"I'm no hero. I just like to hit people on the head." - Nelson
  9. I'd use more than just my index & middle finger, but my ring finger is sorta odd shaped. It's curved almost like ), and I broke my pinky and now it's sorta...twisted around and out of shape, along the lines of an 's' except nowhere near that curvy.

Über Sheep

10. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Your whats curved? Better put a sock on it if you are gonna play out.

11. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Well to pick my bass I usually use 2 fingers, on occasion I will use 3. Now to pick my nose I use generally only 1 finger per nostril.

Chris A.
  12. bassphreakz

Mar 19, 2000
    All 10!!! Sometimes I even reverse my hands. The pinky is hard to use, but it helps sometimes. I've tried with my toes (they are very long) and had some success, except I lay the bass on the ground and it gets out of tune. Eventually I hope to be able to play with my toes, tongue, teeth, and of course my d......g2g
  13. I play with all 5 on my fretting hand and all put my pinky on my other hand. Although I am slowly but surely bringing that one in as well.
  14. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    Bassphreakz. I am in no doubt that you need serious help. [​IMG]

But from now on you are my own personal god.

15. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    I almost forgot.
    Just for everybody's information. I use my thumb, index and middle on the picking hand: The thumb for the E string and my two fingers for the rest. I use my index, middle and ring on the fretting hand.

Never trust a man who doesn't drink - Winston Churchill
  16. calvin_and_hobbes11

Apr 26, 2000
    3---> pointer, middle, and ring, although sometimes its easier just to use middle. Although! some times I use the pointer and ring alternating, sometimes middle/ring, sometimes just the "walking" kind (pointer middle)
  17. We ARE talking right hand, yes? Then index, middle and ring.

18. Manlio

Apr 8, 2000
    It really doesn't matter how many fingers you use, as long as you are able to play what you want. I've seen Paco de Lucia's
    bassist and he uses a pick, and the middle and ring fingers, and it's amazing how he plays. Flea uses 2, Jaco used 2, etc.
  19. Good point Manlio And don't forget Jamerson.. he used one finger.. "the hook", he called it, and he played some of the most incredible bass lines ever.
    I use two most of the time, just for the record. I used three to type this. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Dave Siff (edited May 19, 2000).]
  20. I only use two, index and middle. Occasionaly I use three, but only when I am going to do a set of gallops, then I use a 3-2-1-3-2-1-3-2-1 set up. But usually just the regular two.

Rock on

Do you know why the tape measure is so much better than you? You have what, six feet in you? IT has 25 feet in it. THAT'S why it's so much better than you.