How many fingers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rafterman, May 16, 2001.

1. 1 finger

7 vote(s)
  2. 2 fingers

148 vote(s)
  3. 3 fingers

132 vote(s)
  4. 4 fingers

68 vote(s)
  5. 5 fingers

27 vote(s)
  1. how many fingers do you guys use when you play, and how long have you been playing?

and please specify which fingers you play with.
  2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I use three, index, middle and ring. I don´t use the ring finger always, but sometimes I think it´s more comfortable. I´ve been playing since September 1997.
  3. I use 3, index, middle, and ring. I also don't use my ring much, it's basically my back up for when my others are too tired to move. =P I RARELY use my pinky and I'm not too comfortable with it, so I stay away from it for now.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Two fingers, straight up. Unless you count the thumb...

I've been playing 20 or so years (I really don't want to think about that, thank you very much) :D
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    All of 'em. I don't do it for speed reasons, but instead for flexibility, makes it easier to play across all 6 strings. If you count the time I spent in the guitar ghetto and the time since I was redeemed and brought to the true calling, 21 years. Oh, and I used all of my right hand fingers when playing guitar as well, both full-on fingerstyle (I started out as a classical guitarist) and the pick & fingers style I played on electric (think Eric Johnson).
  6. If I've understood your poll correctly,I use all the fingers on my fretting hand and two on my right .I figure if I use all four digits when I fret,I'm using 100% of my potential,however,in certain situations I might use my thumb index,middle ,ring and pinky of the right,depending on what I'm playing.
  7. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I say 4, if you count the thumb as a finger(which you seem to) everything but my pinkie (to short) Of course I use all 4 on the neck, just like everyone should :)
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Actually, I use 10 :D

Though not too often :(

Pinky and thumb is not all that much into plucking, but at times it's the best=natural choise. Thumb is use for plucking, slapping or *most important* floating mute.

OTOH, i.e. fretting hand, I sometimes use even the thumb on high positions. Real fun!

Just a pity I'm no good at all this :(
    Never mind, flame the fame!
  9. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I use my thumb, index and middle the vast majority of the time. I do use the ring and pinky occasionally when tapping.
  10. Down

Sep 11, 2000
    Thumb + 2 fingers is the thing that producting the noise from my Yamaha.
    I´ve used this method about a year now, before that i played with 3 fingers + thumb(index, middle & ring) about 1½ years.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i fret with all fingers, including thumb occasionally, and i pluck with thumb index middle ring. and i've been playing about 17 years
  12. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    I don't want to be a party pooper, but I think someone on this forum was the man who once said that using your left thumb (or whatever hand you use for freting) is a sure way to end up with CTS.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Only 2; index/middle. I alternate the two. I am trying to use 3 but at the moment it sounds terrible, but really, 2 is enough for me. I can play most Iron Maiden with 2, after a good warm up ;) I've been playing 0.4 decades.
  14. I use two fingers most of the time: index and middle. If I'm slapping I will use my thumb, index and middle. If I'm tapping I will use my index, middle, ring, and occasionally pinky finger(s). I voted for two since that's what I'm using most of the time...;).
  15. I use my thumb if I'm slapping, but I don't usually. Any other time I use my index and ring finger, and occasionally my middle finger. I'm more comfortable with my ring finger, and I find it gives me more reach than my middle finger.
  16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I fret with all fingers, but playing the lower notes with wider fret spacing, I sometimes use my pinky in place of my ring finger. On my plucking hand I use my thumb, index finger, and middle finger. I have been playing for about 30 years.
  17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sometimes I do this trick where I fret the notes with my right toes and pluck the strings with my nose. It REALLY gets the ladies' attention!
  18. on my plucking hand i use four for plucking. for slap/popping, i use thumb and pointer and middle. i've owned my Warm Machine for a year but i messed off six months and have been seriously studying for the other six months
  19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

For standard plucking i use my index and middle. Add my thumb (of course) for slapping. For tapping i almost use my five fingers (i try with the pinky but it's very weak - i use my thumb along with my middle for tapping minor thirds). I started with the bass 15 years ago, but my real, serious study of the instrument started 9 years ago. :)