Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Many here have the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    It seems like next to the conklin 7 string its one of the most popular basses around for thoose who are seriouse about their playing, so, how many here have one?(include pic if you have moded anything to it please?)

i have one on order, will have it by next week..
    is it as great a player bass as people say?? :)

2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I would like to have one, but now i'm gassing for a 5string.

Still wonder bout the low end, some people says it lacks (because of the badass II bridge ???) and some people says it has plenty of it.

You'll find out when you get it!

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I got one...

[​IMG]

... I love it. I was thinking of selling to fund half of a new rig, but I couldn't do it.

4. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Oh, another thing, is there ANYTHING bad with them?(i have heard the tuners are supposed to be dodgy...)

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    great bass, I have no complaints with the sound, it goes from nice deep jazz growl to a real bright and punchy tone with no problems. I heard bad things about the tuners too, must be hit or miss cause mine stays in tune without a problem. only thing that takes getting used to is the glossy neck (im used to my unfinished SR neck) Great bass though, I dont plan on gettin rid of it anytime soon

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have one! When I replaced the tuners with Schaller replacements it became very apparent that the stock ones are of a lesser quality.

7. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    aaaand another thing... anyone know where i an get an mirrored pickguard wich FITS this bass? i have heard that the regular pickguards dont fit it.. is it ike the 70's pickguards from www.pickguards.com that would fit them?

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, the tuners aren't up to snuff by today's standards, but they're designed to be like the 72's, which is what Geddy's is, and I think they are. I've replaced the pickups and rewired mine to be PVT instead of VVT, but the DiMarzio Model J's preserved the original tone (which I LOVE) and got rid of the hum.

However, personally, while the tuners aren't the nicest out there, the work just fine and I've never had a problem with them. They're still on there and I have no intention of replacing them (except to maybe put a hipshot d-tuner on the E).

Regarding the tone/playability, unreal for a Fender J. I LOVE THIS BASS!!!!!! I hate black finishes, and I'm mainly a Fiver, but I picked this up in a shop a while back and just could not leave without it. Period.

9. I have one, it has a really nice neck to it. I haven't done any mods to it yet, but i'm about to replace the pickups and wireing. See about 3 weeks ago the neck pickup stoped working on me. So I'm down to the bridge pickup, which I dont mind, but I miss that neck pickup. Within the next 2 weeks i'll have new pickups in it and i'll be laughing. None the less, the bass is a beautyfull bass, quite solid and a bit on the heavy side sometimes.

10. the tuners are kinda cheesy, but other than that, I love mine

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    www.pickguards.us makes an exact match.

12. I have an urge to buy one and mod it up. must. resist.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    just got mine today, as far as finish and craftsmanship both are top notch! I never bought one because everyone I saw on the shelf had high action or a bow in the neck. Now I have bought 10 Fenders new out the box and have never had a bad one so i've alway's attributed the off the wall Geddy problems to store climactic changes. The GL bass I bought was off the wall and did need a little tweak but after that it is really sweet. The action is down to the frets and playability is 2nd to none! I will play out with it tomorrow night so I'll have to get back to you on that.

And by the way, I think I will change the strings (who knows how long they been on there and sound only ok). The only 4 string sets I got laying around new are DR Nickelplated Low Riders.

14. low riders are fantastic with geddy

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Try TI jazz rounds.

16. BlackBass9

BlackBass9

Dec 4, 2004
    I never had any problems with mine, the pick ups sound just fine, maybe one day I'll upgrade it to some ultra Jazz but for now I'll just keep on playing with my DR low riders (highly recommended).

and stuff...

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have a question for Geddy owners, Is the neck plate on your GL bass blank or does it say "limited Edition". Mine is blank and I seem to remember them saying "limited Edition".

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Pyr...

I think you commented that you had played the MIM Classic Jazz and the Geddy both. How does your Geddy compare to the 60's? I was thinking about getting the MIM for gigs when I need a darker 60's sound (I've got the 70's sound covered). I like the 60's style appointments on the MIM but maybe the Geddy is much better in the construction department?

Wil

19. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    i think it was the original line wich started in '98 that was supposed to be limited, but the bass got populare so they decided to continue it...

20. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Great! I've been seeing pics of these on the site and got to give one a whirl at a music store. I'm severely GAS'n for a Geddy. I was expecting it to be a year or two run and that would be it.

Tax returns coming up in the next couple months I sense a geddy in my future. :hyper: