Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many hours a day do you practice scales?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Less than one hour

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. 1

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 4

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 8

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. more(i dont think anyone have time to practice that much)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Just for comparison =)

Average i play scales for about 4hours a day, and another hour slap
    & tap.

1hour of the scales is with my metronome(so is the slap/tap hour) and the rest in front of the television, so my practicing depends on how much tv i watch.

How about you?

Also, what do you think about scale practicing in front of the television?

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You mean playing scales up and down? If that's the case, maybe 15 minutes at most. If I'm working on a particular scale or fingering I'll improvise within those notes for longer periods, but playing scales forwards and backwards never did much for me musically.

3. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    thats a good question man...
    I've recently tended to just practice fingering (scales, licks, etc,) while i watch TV.... almost as just a second nature kinda thing.
    My guess is anytime you have the bass in your hands and youre moving patterns around is better than not having it in your hands at all...
    I remember reading that Jaco would actually constatntly have his bass in his hands almost anywhere he went.... esp. in front of the T.V.
    Think about it, we're aquainting ourselves with the instrument and becoming relaxed with it, so as to make it natural.
    at worst you give your fingers a work out not to mention muscle memory (and occasionaly your mind)...
    So if all thats the case, i would say i practice scales for about 1 to 2 hours a day with and without a metronome...

L.E.T.
    ...and the bottom drops out

4. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    When im just sitting around i always have my bass in my hands...just doing a little tapping. maybe a run through of the small amount of slap I know. But I rarely practice scales..
    I should probably change this.....nah

5. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I'd rather play songs instead... I can't just play scales back and forth for more than five minutes; just doesn't do anything for me. But, if you don't know them then it's probably a good idea. Otherwise, fook it and play some music!

6. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    For another perspective, consider Tony Levin's book, "Beyond the Bass Clef":

"Don't practice, please! .... unless you listen carefully to what your'e doing. It's better not to practice at all than to do it wrong. When we sit alone and play a part over and over, we're training not just our fingers but also our ears and our sense of what sounds are acceptable from the instrument. It's surprisingly easy to train yourself in either good or bad ways.
    The trick is for the brain to be in charge. Not the fingers. To achieve this, all we have to do is use the ears.
    But really use them. When you listen to what you play, you are practicing listening. When you play some scale or lick without listening, you are practicing not listening! ...."

Great book, highly recommended. Most of it is funny touring and recording anecdotes, but there's some great practical advice for any bassist (or any other musician). You can get it directly from papabear.com.