Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many hour's do you practice a week?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 4, 2005.

Poll closed Jun 11, 2005.
  1. less than 2-3 hours

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. like Like 2-3 hours

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. 4-8 hours

20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  4. 8-12 hours

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. 12-16 hours

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. 16-25 hours

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. 25-30 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 30-35 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 35-43 hours

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  10. 43 hours or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005

2. Not enough...

Actually, I play quite a lot. Unfortunately, it's not very serious practicing. I can never sit and play scales or repeat the same riff, partly because I find it to be boring and partly because my roommates would kill me.

3. Does gigging count as practice?

4. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    nah gig=not practice i mean like sitting in your room practice

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    How about band practice, does that count?

6. Twelve

Twelve

May 28, 2005
    Just playing, period, counts as practice. Don't practice too much, because your fingers need rest so the muscles can heal and you're playing can improve. :bassist:

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I dunno. 8-10 a week, I guess. About an hour a day, total, plus odd tinkering when a riff strikes.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It depends on the day and our playing schedule, but I play between 1.75 & 3 hours a day, sometimes more. On days we gig I try to get at least an hour+ in before playing (we do 3 hours on stage).

I usually try to take one day off from bass a week, but sometimes I can't not play. I usually try to take the day after a show off, less because of the playing, and more because my hands are sore from moving heavy gear.

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Practicing? During the school year i practiced at least an hour every day on my own. Sometimes-i practiced for 3 hrs in a day if i was having particular problems with a passage. In rehearsel-it used to be 3-7hrs a day, but no more high school and summer jazz band starts in a bout a week and a half[playing with a local university {purdue} jazz band this summer].

So far this summer-on a good day i've practiced for 3 hours. However, i'm trying to get into a routine where it's 4-5hrs daily. We'll see how well that turns out.

So least 7hrs a week of on my own practicing, with no more than 35hrs of on my own time. Adding in rehearsels, i think i'd max out around 45hrs for this time of year.

That's all

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Not enough. 1-2 hours a day. Not enough to make any real progress :rollno: .

I get so mad at myself sometimes :mad: . If it's not laziness it's something unexpected popping up. For some reason the hardest part for me sometimes is just sitting down in my practice room and pluggin the bass in. When I do that I'll sit there and play for atleast an hour, enjoy myself, and wonder why I was a little anxious about playing.

Something's wrong with me. :(

11. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    So is it that you find bass a little boring? well your not the only one man, doesnt mean your not a true bassist or anything just because you find it boring, i used to find it boring back in the old days, like last year and stuff.

12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    No, it's not that I find bass boring. It's that I find practicing the same way everyday is starting to seriously get to me (learning by ear from CD's).

I want to play with people :bawl: . I know other people that play it's that there's always extenuating (sp?) circumstances.

1) They jam together so infrequently now I would never ask to sit in. It would take away from their time.

2) They're ALOT better than me. It would be a train wreck if I sat in right now. I would need to gradually work my way in.

3) Their bassist wants to get better at guitar and he wants to play with me but some stupid crap always comes up. Too drunk, too lazy, too many people over, etc.

I've looked at musician wanted ads but I can't find any body else that wants to play anything close to what I want to play (power metal or stoner metal).

13. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    yea i figure i'm getting in about and hour and a half a day

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's more than plenty of time to improve, the problem is you're not really using your practice time. You can make progress on half an hour a day, if you're using your time well. Check out Jazzbo's threads on practice routines for some great pointers.

My practice time on electric has become very irregular. I've noticed progress in the last few months, but not as much as I would've wished, because I've spent most of my practice and bass time on DB at school. I play DB for at least 7 hours a week, but most times a lot more (the 7 hours a week is if I'm crazy busy during the day.) When I get my own DB, which shouldn't be *too* far off (maybe a few weeks, if all goes well) I'm going to be practicing like mad. My frustration is that I want to transcribe jazz, but the stuff I'm transcribing is primarily DB music, and I hate playing it on electric. Just feels wrong. Transcribing at school is a pain because I practice the DB in the back room during a percussion class, so for the next two weeks until the end of school I'm gonna take it down to a much quieter location where I otherwise spend my spare periods (the drama room when there aren't any classes there.)

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    +1

With three kids, a full time job, band practices and gigs, just not enough time to learn new techniques...I'm trying to create time for that though, cuz old techniques=staleness after awhile...

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

If you find practicing boring, than you're not practicing properly.

There are plenty of ways to learn and keep you entertained at the same time.

And if you find playing bass boring, you need to either find new people to play with, new styles to play in or pick a different instrument/thing to do.

17. Maybe an hour a week...I would LOVE to sit & practice for 4-6 every night but I work 10-12 hrs a day. Need an easy day job...

18. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    I try to "practice" everyday for few hours. It's more like doodling with my bass, but I notice little improvement from time to time.

I usually practice in front of my computer so I can read exercises from the net.

I accepted that I am probably not going to be the next Jaco so I'm going to take this easy.

Maybe someday I'll find a band... le sigh.

19. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    hey i want to play power metal also, you live in michigan?

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't practice everyday....rather I'll do about 7 hours per week split between band practice and 2 church gigs (3 separate days).

Then I'll take 1 or 2 days and work on technique, scales, form, etc.

I find that practicing 4-5 days per week helps to alleviate some of the staleness that can come from practicing everyday and gets me motivated after a few days off.