1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how many hours do you practice?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by dirtdobber113, May 11, 2011.

1. dirtdobber113

dirtdobber113

Feb 27, 2011
    I have found that I practice almost three to four hours a day. Sometimes more if I have time. Only since picking back up a few tears ago. I didn't practice this much when I was young. Just wondering how long you guys practice.

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    2-3 hours on weekdays of actual 'practice' where I warm up, do some scales and runs, play a few songs, think of random chord progressions and different ways to play them, then work on technique with fretting and 3 finger picking then cool down with scales. Bandmates have seen a noticeable improvement in my consistency and smoothness while playing. I play mostly progressive metal type stuff.

On weekends, I'll add a couple hours and also picking up the bass randomly throughout the day to play a few things.

8 months ago, I didn't have a practice routine and just learned songs via tabs but had been playing for a few years or so, probably around 4. Learned a lot of Tool and Opeth and Yes which probably helped a ton. I've progressed more in the past 8 months then I did before that, the spark was seeing a bass teacher's ad in the building where I work and I decided you know what I'll go for it.

3. 3-4 hours a day with time split 75% of time on Upright bass and 25% on electric. Though generally i practice more electric when i get new music for jazz groups i play in

4. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Usually practice 2hrs a day on av.

Have 3 band practices a week which are 2hrs 3 hrs n 6hrs more or less.
    So quite a heavy routine but I'm lucky as 2 be able to practice with my bands a hell of a lot! It's more fun.

5. 2-3 hours a day for me, sometimes more depending on work schedule, but sorry to say no real, set routine, just whatever I feel like at the time. But during those hours I'll run through several songs on the setlist, then just generally make sounds, riffs, etc. to try and create a new line for a new song. Not much time for other studies.

6. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Monday: 4 hours
    Tuesday: 2 hours and 30 minutes
    Wednesday: 6 hours and 30 minutes
    Thursday: 4 hours
    Friday: 6 hours

about 23 hours a week.

7. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I don't have a set routine, I just pick up the bass when I feel like it which generally ends up anywhere between 1-3 hours a day.

8. Practice means getting BETTER at something.
    So let me ask all the people that say two hours or longer, how long ca you sit down and be completely focused?
    Every minute after that focus is not practice but "playing".

9. Josiah668

Josiah668

May 11, 2011
    Worcester, MA
    Very, very rarely. Most of the time, I only pick up the bass when I'm specifically working on something, which is mostly at work these days.

I play more guitar at home than I do bass, and even at that, it's probably an hour a week or less.

10. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I can do an hour, but I practice in 30 minute blocks (changed from 20 minutes) I'll do what I can, on days I am off I try to get six hours in. The 30 minute blocks are usually done as follows,
    Reading on bass (two blocks, I'm working on really getting that together)

30 Minutes Chord melody guitar
    30 Minutes reading guitar
    30 minutes single string work on guitar
    30 minutes soloing on bass

Then work on band stuff on either instrument.
    No' playing' at all, I get those demons out on stage. If I start losing focus I'll take a ten minute break. I'm all about getting the hours in, this is my job, but if the focus is not there I take a break.

11. I'm ALWAYS practicing, even when the bass is not in my hands...

Here's some examples....fingering LH patterns on my arm, practicing RH techniques on my knuckles, and humming patterns into my phone and learning them on the bass after work

...but i can never wait to get home each day!

12. That's how you do it. I just had to post that because in a music program you commonly hear "I practice 6 hours nonstop everyday!", but their playing reveals many blindspots. Luckily I live in a supportive household that realizes this is what I'm going to do for the rest of my life.

^^^ And to spade, hell yes-----I do a few things similar to that-----In the middle of class I'm whisper-whistling major scales for ear training, or thinking about one particular key and doing various mental gymnastics (visualizing a fretboard in my head and "lighting" up all the notes within that key, or arpeggiating starting from the lowest note in the key moving all the way up).
    Live eat and breathe it.

13. LIONFURY

LIONFURY Banned

Apr 26, 2011
    1-2 hours a day

14. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    A couple hours a day, in 10 to 30 minute chunks. Sometimes less, sometimes much much more, like 5-10 hours if im in the zone. And sometimes it's strict skills practice, sometimes a more creative approach. So final answer is 'it depends'

15. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Another thing I've been doing (I don't know how well it crosses over to music) is spend a few weeks on the weak area. I've taken a break from working on walking bass lines for a couple weeks. That block of time has been replaced with reading. If I hit a plateau reading I'll give up a block and move to an extra block of soloing or something. When I get back to walking, it'll be fresh again. I'm certainly not going to forget how to walk, and do it all the time gigging anyway. Sort of the 'school approach' I look at it as an intensive semester of my own making.

16. An hour daily.

17. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    Usually 7 days a week...2 sessions each day 2 to 3 hours each

18. cleary

cleary

Apr 19, 2013
    NSW, Australia
    I try to get 1-2 hours 3-4 times a week. I don't have a strict schedule or practice method.

Sometimes I learn random songs by ear that I liked the sound of, sometimes I transcribe stuff (and don't really play), sometimes I play through books, sometimes I read through books (theory only), sometimes I practice scales/techniques, sometimes I twiddle knobs on my amps and sometimes I do hardware maintenance.

I play a 2-3 hr rehearsal every thursday with my group, and play at least 2 gigs a month (4+hours).

I am always looking for and listening to new songs/artists.

I go to where I feel on the day :)

19. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I average about an hour a day. I generally don't practice by myself on a day I have band practice, but I practice more on weekends. I usually have two or three things I'm focusing on at the moment, and I tend to devote each practice to just one of these things, and then alternate on the following day. I write originals, so some of these "practice sessions" are actually writing sessions. On a day when I'm just not feeling like practicing, I'll give myself "free play", where I can just sit and noodle aimlessly. Sometimes it leads to something, and sometimes it doesn't, but I think it has it's value just in getting to know your axe a little better.

20. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    I average about and hour and a half to two hours a day. Sometimes it's only half an hour, sometimes it's 4 or 5.

However, I always do it in small blocks. I'll practice for 15 minutes or so, then take a small 5 minute break and do something else. Then, back to practicing. I find this helps a lot and keeps me focused.

Also, I have a lot of other work to do, so it helps me stay focused on the other stuff too. Win/win.