1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many icons are on your desktop?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AdlerAugen, Jun 10, 2007.

1. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    Well, how many? Just thought it would be randomly cool to know.

the number to beat is 115, which cover a little over half of my left monitor, while i've got none on my right monitor, a 19" widescreen.

2. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    One, the recycling bin. Only because Windows won't let me get rid of it.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I hate using computers that have millions of icons on the desktop.

4. srh

srh saahweet

Dec 8, 2006
    New Jersey
    36, its not that bad though, I have a lot of folders that all my crap into

5. 0. My desktop icons are hidden. I win.

6. What OS do you have? There are ways to get rid of it.

As for me, none, but I do use Objectdock.

7. 6. A few links to folders I might want to get to, an icon to turn off my monitor, Firefox, and xterm. Plus one folder with a few programs that don't need to be right there. Programs minimize to desktop icons too, but those don't count (no, I'm not still running Windows 3.1 :D ).

8. 143. I just cleaned some stuff off it yesterday too :meh:

There are several ways to get rid of it.

I am going to assume you have XP, and give you the following link:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article05-013

9. 45... three of which I use.

10. none whatsoever... yet another happy Linux user... :cool:

11. 'Cause Linux is all command lines, amirite?!:bag:

12. what's a command line?

You do not need to use the command line anymore in Linux...

13. 2. The hard drive, and a folder entitled "media" I like to keep a tidy desktop

~K

14. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    1-5 (Master HD always) and then it depends on what I have plugged in [2 USB ports, 1 FireWire, and CD Drive (external HDs, iPod, Cameras, CDs, etc.)]. I like a clean desktop. My old PC computer used to have lots, but I don't do that with my Mac. :)

15. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Can't count 'em. The desktop is always covered by a bunch of windows. I could never figure out what desktop icons are good for. Same as my real desktop. Anything on it I can't find, because it's always hidden by other stuff.

I stick everything I use regularly directly on the start menu.

16. Just kidding. Although you make it sound like the command line isn't the one true interface, before which all others are shown for the false gods they are.

At one time I would have agreed, but since modern operating systems all include a "show desktop" command, this isn't much of an issue. Fling your mouse to the lower right corner of your screen, do your thing, and fling it back. The advantage is that you don't have to undertake the hellish exercise of trying to go two or three levels deep in a menu to get to your programs. If you're stuck in Windows, win+d should do the same thing. That plus an expose-style feature make graphical interfaces almost bearable.

17. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    54. I like everything accessible...

18. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Yeah, it works, but I prefer everything I use regularly directly on the start menu. In XP you just "pin" it to the start menu, and it's on the top level. Hierarchical menus suck big time, that's definitely true. The make me feel like I've got Parkinson's disease.

19. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    Just 3

My stuff folder, internet and the recycle bin

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021