1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How many is too many guitarist for one band ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 13, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How many is too many guitarist for one band ? I would say for most 3 is too much.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    One is too many IMHO.

Unfortunately, they are a necessary evil.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How many guitarists ARE too much for one band?

MM, you're going to turn me into a grammar Nazi.

Depends on the band. I've played with bands where one is too many, where one is just right, and where three worked just fine. Depends how well they play together.

4. My friend had a metal band that made good use of 3 guitarists. I suppose that's my maximum, but it all depends on how the guitars are being used (what they are playing).

5. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    played briefly with three and it was too many

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Depends on the music, I guess. April Wine and Lynyrd Skynyrd had three guitarists and they worked to great effect. Playing three-part harmony leads live is pretty cool. And the different styles they each had made it interesting. So I guess if they all had similar styles, more than two would be overkill.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If they're musicians, there's not limit.

If they're just guitarists, one's too many.

8. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Depends on the music, but I'd say 4 are too many in 99 % of the music.

This band, located in my town, definitely has too many guitarists:

[​IMG]

http://www.gubbrockarna.fi/index.asp?id=1

I haven't gone to see them live. I guess you can figure out why. On this pic, I guess only about half of them are on stage. There's about 30 guitarists in this band...

9. John123z

John123z

Jul 7, 2006
    Hershey, PA
    Might be just me, but I think the guitar is way over played. I find it refreshing to hear music without a guitar.

John

10. i think it depends on what they are playing--if they are just playing chords, then two is the max for me, but if they are all playing different lines, then it might be tough to say :)

11. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    what- haven't they heard of a chorus effect?:p

every once in a while i play with my dad and his friends (mostly beatles-era stuff; usually acoustic) where there are always a minimum of 4 guitarists (2 days ago we had about 6). not only is it 90% acoustic (so i have to play very low to stay with their 10W amps), but they ALL play the exact same thing, they're ALL EQ'd the same, and (since they only play by themselves in their free time) they ALL feel the need to play the lead and melody. now, knowing what i just typed, you should also know that every time we play together, about 1/2 of the group knows one version of a song, and the other half knows another version- chaos ensues, and again i find myself telling all of them what to do and how to do it. not only that, but the "leader" seems to dislike it when anything but his acoustic guitar is heard (he had a hissy fit the other day when he couldn't hear himself at a "show" and proceeded to complain along the lines of "i cant hear myself....i can't do this-i just can't do this), and always insists on playing Hotel California a step lower than the original recording (requiring me to down tune to DGCF if i want to have any fun at all). however there are 2 guys there that i can really groove with.

/rant

i prefer 2 guitarists; 1 lead and 1 for rhythm and switching to keyboard when needed.

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think three electrics at once is too much. An acoustic and two electrics work well for lots of music, I think...

13. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    yes.
    :D
    keep away the keys, though...then i will survive.

14. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    As many as you like. Just yank the power chord, and you won't hear the power chords :D

15. - (Sigh) thats past retarded IMO... thats really just a goofy gimmick. I bet it sounds very loud and muddy. :rollno:

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't know, but I'd prefer just to play with one!