How many J bass frets in a bushel? - Worthless survey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Feb 24, 2016.

1. 21

27 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. 22

13 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. 24

18 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. 24 karat

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. 24 Carrots

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Garrotes

6 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. 20

13 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I'm looking at a new J style bass. It has the option for 21, 22, or 24 frets. WWTBD?

I'm not a high-up player, so I'm leaning toward 21, as oral so (<<< autocorrect Lolwut) looks more balanced in photographs.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'm used to 20 so I said 21. I find myself bending the 20th from time to time so I wouldn't mind one myself.

Can we know what bass or do we have to wait in suspense?

3. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    20 added. Vote changing allowed.
    Suspenseful poll is suspenseful :)

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I vote 26

monsterthompson likes this.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Vote changed and I just loaded "the waiting game" up to play... I'll be here waiting.

6. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    If it's a traditional J body, it would be really hard to use any frets more than about 21, so 24 would be a waste, IMO.

7. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    It's a pretty traditional J in my potential case.

8. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Well, 20, 21, or 24 sounds like you're looking at a Warmoth build. In which case, I definitely would not get the 24 fret neck as I just don't think those extra frets would be reachable/useable. And, personally, if it costs any extra (I can't remember), I would not get the 21. But, if it's the same price, I might get the 21, just 'cuz more. The only time I play anywhere near the 20th fret is when I'm checking the action - in other words, I never actually play up there.

The Warmoth necks all have the same neck heel and fit in the same neck pocket. The 21 and 24 fret necks just have extended fingerboards that overhang the body. So, from that perspective it doesn't really matter.

9. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Guessing correctly is going to be challenging. Not impossible but challenging.

10. 36 or 0

ThuzzleFump and twinjet like this.
  11. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Which frets does the neck pickup sit between?

guitarflinger likes this.
  12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    While I prefer 24 for higher up playing (especially on 6 strings), that isn't you. Plus if you slap at all now or in the future, slap tone is better for the lowest numbers. Hence I recommend 21.

13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd be happy with 12.

Short-scale and Marko 1 like this.
  14. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    There's no money above 7 ;)

15. On a "traditional" J? 21 frets.

On a downsized "modern" J (think Carvin JB)? 22.

16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    There's not much below 7 in my world these days!!

17. Gnal

Gnal

Apr 22, 2014
    Probably 21, if your options are 21, 22 or 24. It really depends.

My J has 20, (traditional body) I can access the 20th fret on the D and G strings easily but the A or E strings are a challenge..
    M P has 21, on a traditional P body so the 21st fret is overhanging the pickguard. It can only really be accessed when tapping (which isn't something I really do)

Now if the body is not completely traditional and has a deeper cutaway on the lower horn or something then all are fair game.

If you share the brand your considering I'm sure folks could give a better idea as to the accessibility of the upper registers.

Are you looking to use a specific technique with this bass? Some people prefer the tonal quality of 21 frets over 24 frets for slapping... just throwing that out there.

18. I voted for 24, as that's what my Mike Lull M5 & upcoming PJ5-24 as well as my "Jazz-i-fied" Spector Euro ReBop 4&5 DLX FM/EXs (electronics gutted @ replaced with Custom EMG-sized Nordstrand Big Singles & Aguilar OBP-3SK/PPs) have, but have owned and have been comfortable playing 22, 21 & 20-fret Basses. Loosing the "E-string Octave" on a 20-fret Bass, I simply feel "too limited" on the Fretboard - ultimately I prefer the "Vertical & Horizontal Options" of a 24-fret 'board, IMO.

I also feel that oftentimes the number of frets influence the body design, and that for a "Smaller Body-Sized Bassist" such as myself, 22 & 24-fret Basses (with the "Dinky J" design, more often than not) have smaller bodies and are both ergonomically as well as weight-wise more comfortable to play.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  19. wmhill

wmhill Inactive

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    What are you used to playing? I play 24 fret basses most of the time, but when i switch to one of my 22 fret ones, i tent to play sharp (over reach) by a fret or two...... I don't look at my neck much. I suppose this is just a muscle memory thing, but the 1st set is a little weird feeling.

20. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I've got a Nash P and a J, and a Spector Forte. The Forte is a 24 but I never use much above 12 or 14.