1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many kubicki ex factor producted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fancymfx, Sep 27, 2017.

1. fancymfx

fancymfx Commercial User

Mar 26, 2017
    Hello,me again,and sorry for my english.
    I am a kubicki fan,and curious about how many kubicki ex factor producted. What's the last serial number.
    Can any kubicki fans help me?

2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Can't recall the exact numbers but I can say with confident certainty that the total production numbers are in the 3900 neighborhood. Give or take.

3. fancymfx

fancymfx Commercial User

Mar 26, 2017
    Well,3900´╝îless than I expected.Thank you!;)

4. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    If you read through or do a search here for Kubicki production numbers. Somewhere in the (Kubicki club 2 thread ) a member lists the serial number ranges from the different eras or phases of the ExFactor's production from pre to post FCS. The numbers came directly from Mike Haney which I know to be genuine because I've read them from different sources as well.

I believe the actual number is closer to but does not exceed 4K units.

5. fancymfx

fancymfx Commercial User

Mar 26, 2017
    Ok,i wll check the thread;)By the way,how many ex factor do you own?

6. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Four.

Attached Files:

Tom McClintock likes this.
  7. fancymfx

fancymfx Commercial User

Mar 26, 2017
    OMG...I only have one pre-fender...Difficult to have one after Mr.kubicki passed away

8. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    I'd wager 7 or 8 were sold and sourced right here in the TB classifieds in the last year and one half or so.... of course there's always a handful on eBay. I'd never even entertain the asking prices but they can be had.

9. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    According to legend, and the late Phil Kubicki, the first Ex Factor released into the wold was #85, which is the one John Taylor played on Saturday Night Live. The last Santa Barbara built unit was 1308. The first FCS unit was 1500.
    So, based on that data, there are only 1,223 Ex Factors and Factors in existence.

10. fancymfx

fancymfx Commercial User

Mar 26, 2017
    Only 1,223?What about post-fender?

11. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Here's those numbers:
    Factor Serialization

1-22 Prototypes

23-761. 02/85 - 02/88. Made in SB. by Kubicki

1000-1292. 02/88 - 02/89. Made in SB. by Kubicki.

Sold through Fender.

1293-3088. 3/89 - 02/91. Made by Fender Custom Shop.

3050- 40XX. 07/91 - 03/13. Made by Kubicki. Post Fender.

saltydude likes this.
  12. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Thanks. Yes. They are fairly accurate for the most part. ExFactor history is not the easiest thing to determine for various reasons. For example I believe the last Prototype was actually #25.

As coincidence has it. It was posted on the Kubicki Factor Facebook page this morning. Notice the neck pickup right up agents it. Also has the dog ear control cavity. (Not pictured).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  13. I used to own #1777 and #1859 a few years ago. Both 1989 models with the Fender Custom Shop stamp on the headstock and the original 18v preamp. They were both utterly fantastic instruments. I got #1777 when I was 16 with wages from working as a waiter.

When I first came to Kubicki ownership, I emailed Phil Kubicki for advice on string changes. He sent me back a detailed guide and gave me his shop telephone number. He said I was welcome to call if i needed further advice. He stood by his product and he was a gentleman in our dealings.

mindwell, El Tookay and saltydude like this.
  14. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Cool. Thank you for posting. This is the type of information I collect. The FCS produced many basses with the 18v board before they switched over. The white one in my photo was made by Fender in 89. #1604. No FCS stamp. 18v board. There were many made before mine in the same configuration that I can gather. Still not sure at exactly what point all Phils OEM stock ran out but thanks to posts yours I'm narrowing it down.

15. fancymfx

fancymfx Commercial User

Mar 26, 2017
    What about those two basses,you had sold them?

16. fancymfx

fancymfx Commercial User

Mar 26, 2017
    I own an ex factor with no serial number!So crazy,but it works in good condition.Here's my post.
    what kind of this kubicki ex factor is?
    Someone said this bass is a prototype

Attached Files:

17. Yes, although I can't remember where they had went.

#1777 was made, I believe, In August 1989 and #1859 was made in November 1989. The back of the bridge piece bore the Santa Barbara shop detail too. With both basses having been made so close together, I wonder if they weren't part of a larger shipment that came to the United Kingdom.

I bought #1777 from a guy in Northern Ireland. The other was from somewhere in the Midlands. Neither bass was bought from the original owner and the original bills of sale weren't present.

18. fancymfx

fancymfx Commercial User

Mar 26, 2017
    What a pity,Ex factor is an amazing bass.Mr.kubicki is a talent

19. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Uhhh...by chance, is that fuschia one number 506.....if so, I owned it, twice! Also owned 1273...never shoulda sold that one, whatta killer!

20. fancymfx

fancymfx Commercial User

Mar 26, 2017
    You shouldn't sell this amazing bass,what a pity