How many languages can you speak?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Apr 28, 2004.

1. One

6 vote(s)
  2. One and a half (fully fluent in one, semi in another)

20 vote(s)
  3. Two

8 vote(s)
  4. Two and a half (fully fluent in two, semi in another)

14 vote(s)
  5. Three

4 vote(s)
  6. Three and a half (fully fluent in three, semi in another)

2 vote(s)
  7. Four or more

6 vote(s)
  1. One of my favorite things about Talkbass is our foreign members - specifically ones from non-english speaking countries. So this brings the many do you read/speak? Which ones?

Personally I only know English...despite taking 3 years of German courses. Guess I can't do it :(
  2. I know English, and a little bit of French (Only how to construct simple sentences, but it comes quickly to me.)

It's kinda funny though. In French class, the girls who are airheaded will argue with our teacher about the Masculine and Feminiem forms of adjectives, and will try and change and argue with a language more than a milliniea old.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The real test I had was on the island of Isla Mujeres off the Mexican Caribbean coast. I was sitting at a table in a bar between 3 French girls who couldn't speak a word of Spanish on one side and two Mexicans who couldn't speak a word of French on the other side.

It was like the U.N. with me in the middle. I've had 7 years of French and know enough Mexi-Spanish to get around. So, I had to take the input from either side, mentally translate it into my native English, and convert it into the native language of the others. The fact that we were all drinking Ron Rico 151 didn't help at all. :rolleyes:
  4. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    D03$ 1337 (0u|\|7 ????

|m ub34 |P || ||\\//|| |P!!!!!!!! :p

please don't flame me.....
  5. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    1. English (mother tongue)
    2. French (fluent with a Quebec accent)
    3. Spanish (limited to "Dos cervesas pour favor" and "donde es el bano"
    4. Swahili (limited to "Jambo habare" and "hakuna matada")
    5. A bit of Arabic.
    6. German (limited to Volkswagen, Mercedes, and BMW)
    7. UK English ("Let's queue at the garage to get the torch out of the boot of my lorry.")
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I am fluent in over six million forms of communication
  7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    English and some German.
  8. I guess I only count as having one language - English.

In my time I studied 4 years of Fench - and got OK at it...although I wouldn't count it as even semi-fluent, from many holidays to Spain I've picked up a smattering of Spanish, I know a few words of Greek (holiday....and Physics degree :D ), learned some very basic Japanese while working for a Japanese company...and picked up some German mostly from WWII comics.... :eek:

Yeah, let's just say 1!!! ;)
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One and a half. Fully fluent English, pretty decent Spanish.
  10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Paha, don't you queue? :D I don't know why but that whole thing just struck me as funny, none of those seem the slightest bit weird to me, but then, neither do the American versions really...

Oh yeah, I know some (phonetic) Welsh!

Dim Ismigool (No smoking)

Dim Parkio (No parking)

Clyber Cloddius (Public footpath)
  11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    English—native fluency.

German—studied 5 years in school—somewhat fluent in some subjects, like audio, music, cars, et al.

French—picked up from books, movies, and music—I was able to get by in Paris without speaking English (except to buy some decongestant and cough syrup for my cold at a pharmacie).

Spanish—picked up like French.

Polish—learned some from my mom, my grandmother, and other relatives.

Dutch—if you know English and German (or just Old English), you can pick up Dutch pretty easily.

Portuguese—picked up words and phrases from my sister-in-law and her family.

I like languages. I envy people who can easily move from one tongue to another.
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    When I was in the UK, I wasn't sure I really spoke English when I saw the road signs. ;)

For example, I still do not understand what a humped pelican crossing is.
  13. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Let's just say, it ain't crossing quickly ;)
  14. Dutch - mother tongue
    English - fluently
    German - getting by
    French - limited
    Norwegian - few words
    Italian - few words

As a Dutchman, I have to disagree. Dutch and German are hardly alike. For a Dutchman, learning German is just as difficult as learning English.
  15. Je parle un peu de francais, je prefere parle anglais. Yep, english and partial french.
  16. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    2 1/2:
    Norwegian - fluent (or pretty darn close :eek: )
    English - decent
    German - can get by

+ isolated words and phrases in some other languages, mostly hello, goodbye, yes, no, good, bad, order beer, saying "sorry, I don't speak < this or that language >".
  17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I didn't say they are alike. Linguistically, Dutch is in between German and Anglo-Saxon (pre-Norman) English, which also parallels the Netherlands' geographic location. When I've had the opportunity to read Dutch in newspapers (Het Parool), audio catalogs, audio or cycling magazines, I've been able to get maybe 90% of the text. If I hadn't studied German, I would not have been able to do that.

I recognize that the spoken language is more distant from German and English, though. When I was at the RAI Centre in Amsterdam 10 years ago for the AES convention, I decided to try it. I went to a stand to buy a large juice:

"Een groot sap, alstubieft."

"Med ijs?"

"Ja, een beetje."

I must've spoken with a German accent, because the woman at the stand counted back my change in German. ;)

And when the film Anne Frank Remembered was released in about 1995 or 96, the parts spoken in German had subtitles, but the English and Dutch parts didn't. I couldn't get most of the Dutch.

18. Is welsh even a serious language anymore? From what I've heard many welsh discourage the next generation from learning it (most specifically south wales)
  19. I obviously speak English first of all...

I took German all 4 years of high school, but unfortunately, not speaking it at all since has taken it's toll. I can still say some extremely simple sentences that do me absolutely no good now (like "Das ist meine hausaufgabe") but I don't think I can speak enough to even carry a short conversation.