Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many left handed players do we have here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 19, 2001.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm a righty myself, but I did a search thinking maybe this topic was brought up before, and I didn't see anything about it, so I thought I would ask it.

Also wondering: Do you play a left handed bass or a right handed one strung upside down. Also, do you feel bass manufactuers do their best to meet the demands of left handed players in bass production?

2. ButtBass

ButtBass

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm left handed but I play bass right. I didn't want to learn left so I just got a right handed bass and the rest is history. I made out just fine except my picking struggles a bit. I am currently working on that now.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm lefthanded, but play it right-handed. I've found the fretting to be far easier for me when I started playing.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Lefty/play righty.
    Doc

5. Southpaw checkin' in!

I play a lefthanded bass strung properly. My very first bass was a P copy upsidedown and restrung, but after that it was all left handed instruments.

As far as manufacturers meeting demand, I'd say yes, but only because the demand isn't all that high. What is it, like 10% of the population is lefthanded?

I play Music Man basses (and Carvin before that), and lefty is available at no extra charge. Other manufacturers, and especially some high end botique basses, can run anywhere from 10-30% more for a lefty, which for an already expensive bass can really add up. Others don't offer lefthanded at all. Those, plus the fact that you're lucky if you find 1-2 lefty Ibanez's to try out in a sea of righty instruments in any given music store, are some of the downsides. to get the bass you want, you'll usually have to order it. You can use the righty instrument to get a sense of it's tone, but it really sucks when trying to gauge the playability.

[​IMG]

6. Count me as a Southpaw who does everything Lefty, except I play bass standard right handed.

7. Count me, too

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The only thing I do lefty is write and eat. Everything else I do right handed.

9. Raises LEFT hand.

I'm a natural left hander and play bass lefthanded using a lefthanded bass.

-Yes, I did consider learning right handed when I started but found left handed easier.
    -No, I don't see why left handed people should learn right handed because most basses are right handed.
    -Yes, us left handed people are more naturally talented than right handers and live longer.

Ok, perhaps that last point is a personal thing :D

10. My handle says it all. I play a lefty Carvin and a lefty MIA Fender Jazz, both strung lefty. Both guitar players in my band are southpaws, but play righty. Not only am I smarter than either of these guys, but I look much better on stage. :D

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ditto

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Im left handed,I play right handed.

13. I'm left handed but play bass right handed.

I play right handed because, when I got a right handed guitar given to me, I didn't know any better. I had worked on the thing for a few months when I saw a picture of Paul McCartney. It then dawned on me that I might have an easier time if I strung the guitar backwards. Since it was an old classical guitar with tuners that barely worked and I was just an elevan year old kid, this was no easy task.

Several hours, day, months later, when I finally had it restrung, I tried it out. I couldn't do a damn thing with it. I realized then that I was naturally right handed in playing guitar/bass...bummer! I wanted to be Paul McCartney! I was so frustrated that all the work I put into restringing the guitar was for nothing that I put the thing away altogether. A few months later when I decided to invest my saved money in a better guitar I knew I would be better off going with a righty.:)

14. I'm a natural lefty that plays lefty! I do own a right handed bass strung upside down. But I also own a lefty Fender AMerican Jazz Bass. It can be a pain to find lefty basses if you are on a budget, but patience pays off. Just have to keep looking. I don't think I do anything with my right hand. Kinda reminds me of that movie Idle Hands if anyone has ever seen it.

15. I am a lefty who playe right handed most of the time, but I can play left handed. I don't own a left handed bass, but have restrung my right handed backwards just to try it out.
    I do play air guitar left handed too :D

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm a righty myself, but I wouldn’t be surprised to find we have a higher percentage of lefties here than the norm. I've heard of studies where lefties tend to be more creative than righties, so I’d expect more lefties in music.

Righties still rule, 'tho... ;)