How many lessons?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bpm2000, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Hi, I just got my first bass and have been following some internet lessons and technique @ The I hear taking lessons are probably the best way to go.. but with my bass and an amp I am going to buy I will pretty much have the money for 1 or 2 lessons. Is this even worth it? I know it would depend on the teacher but generally how much can i get out of just 1 or two lessons?

2. Right on Ed! I just had my first lesson with my new teacher. I interviewed a few teachers before picking this one and I'm glad I did. A good teacher, that you feel comfortable with, is well worth the money. He spotted some things to "clean up" in my technique right away. Stuff that would have taken me a long time to figure out on my own, if ever.

You may want to consider getting a little less rig to start with and put the money into some long term lessons.
  3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Yep, all good advice... I'l just repeat it in a different words if that's ok?! ;)

The key is having someone to explain things TO YOU and be able tailor answers to your questions to suit your needs.

Books are good, but I don't think they're sufficient on their own. I've just bought a couple of books and find they're really good in conjunction with teacher/lessons. My teacher recommended a book for me too, which is good way to go.

Drummer Dude is right... you should buy a cheaper bass to start because 1) you might decide bass isn't for you 2) when you're learning you dont need the best bass etc... and 3) when you get better and save up for a new bass you'll appreciate it a whole lot more!

That said having a nicely set-up instrument to learn on will make a difference. I'd say try out as many as you can within a price range before you buy and don't go over the top!! :)
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You need 4 lessons to be good. 5 if you want to be a professional.
  5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I'm a pro and I didn't even know it!
    Anyone got any work?
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    If you are someone who only has a finite amount of disposable income then you will have to spend it as and when you can.

I sort of agree with the previous posts.

I would advise you to find a good teacher, someone in the Adam Nitti/Steve Lawson ability level. Talking of which Steve is my teacher. I've had two lessons in 4 months and I'm not having one for at least two months. Thats the way we do it. Steve is fine with it. I'm learning a lot (even after 20 years). I wish I got a good teacher years ago (I didnt even realise that they were poor).

Try starting a thread and see which teachers local (to you) TBers use.
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you can afford only two lessons, at least take the two. If you have never laid hands on a bass guitar or guitar before, the lessons will be invaluable as an orientation to the instrument.

Maybe you can strike a deal with your teacher to take one lesson a month or every six weeks. Have him suggest a good book/CD set to work with between classes. Then your teacher can answer your questions and correct your technique and check your progress.

Having a helpful encouraging teacher is the best way to go if you can afford it. There's just absolutely no dispute about that at all.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've been playing for 5 years, and I've had about 2 formal lessons, but I've gotten countless tips from bass monsters. Between those tips and my ears, I've been doing fine. I plan on taking lessons from Adam Nitti soon.
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  10. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I agree on the above posts. Don't use all your money on your rig. Try looking for something affordable, yet playable. Go to your local music store and see if they sell Bass Packs. These have everything a beginner needs: most come with bass, amp, strap, a beginning video and/or booklet...Try them out at the store. You can usually find these Bass Packs for a cheaper price at Musician's Friend.

You'll be saving money which can go towards lessons. I understand what it's like not to be able to afford things, but believe me even if you can take only 2 lessons with a good teacher you will learn much. As said, maybe you can make a deal to take a certain amount of lessons, even if it's like 2 lessons a month or something like that.

Also, don't think just because you've taken a few lessons that you don't ever need to take lessons again. Learning is a lifelong experience. I'm sure there are bass pros on this forum who still take lessons, maybe not as often as weekly....there's always something to learn and there's always someone who knows more than you do.

Good luck with everything and I hope you enjoy playing the bass.

Cheers, :)
  11. If one sets out in life to start driving a band new Cadillac, then one must take the time and have the resouces to put fuel into it in order to drive to where one is going....

If by chance the destination "is" about the journey, then being able to take that journey in the first place must come ahead of the want, that take the cadillac, thus opting for the more perverbial and less modest way to travel, insuring that one will be able to fuel the journey (maybe a VW Jetta?)! :D

A lesson lost is a moment in time in which one takes the long hard path in order to catch the rabbit...vrs having the rabbit come to you on the straight and narrow...

Be Happy & Well,
    "This is not a Job, this is an adventure!!
    Rajjab Datsgir, Breakfast cook in Scranton Pa. after a harrowing Sunday brunch....LOL:confused:
  12. thanks for all the advice, bout as colorful as ive seen.