How many like Fender strings??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Nov 23, 2000.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I have never changed strings on my Fender Standard Jazz, and I've had the guitar for over a year. The strings are the factory roundwounds, and so far I'm extremely pleased with them. They haven't showed any signs of dying (knock on wood) but I know they will have to be replaced before too long. The only cleaning I have done on them is wipe them down with vinegar twice. So, what do you all think of Fender Strings? For those of you who like them, what do you use (i.e. Nickel, roundwound). I like the sound of the roundwounds I have now, as you can do just about anything with them. Just curious about what you all think, and if you don't like Fenders, what do you use?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say that while they are "alright" they woudn't be my first choice. I am a fan of D'Addario Slowounds. I bought a Fender RB5 and noticed a huge improvement in the sound, the feel and playability (tighter B etc.)when I took the stock Fenders off and replaced them with Slowounds - which are Nickel Roundwounds.

The Slowounds gave a better sound than the Fenders for all styles - slap, fingerstyle etc. and gave better definition on harmonics.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree with Bruce, they're alright. Consider - when Leo Fender invented the electric bass, he also had to invent the string to go with it. As the company has grown older and changed ownership, the business has become a cash cow for the owner/CBS to milk. That's why you don't see new models coming out or money going into string development. There are a lot of leaner, meaner, specialized string manufacturers out there working hard to surpass the old guard. Consequently, all you really see nowadays out of companies like Fender is a variation on a theme. The situation is analagous to Coca-Cola. They tweak an established product with "New Coke" and the rest, but they aren't really interested in creating their own competition. That's a major reason why Rotosound bit a big chunk out of their string business in the 60's.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-26-2000 at 02:56 AM]
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I like Fenders strings, but they are not my favorite. I'm currently using Fender Super Bass 8250's on my 5-string Jazz. I prefer taperwound strings, and the 8250's are the only nickel roundwounds with a taperwound B and E string that I like. They are fairly bright, and they last a decent amount of time.
    (I would actually prefer something brighter and tighter, but I don't like stainless, and the Fenders are getting the job done :).)
    (I am also thinking of using Fender flatwounds on my 4-string.)
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like Fender 9050 flatwounds. Very dark, very thumpy, but with good sustain. Very strong attack which I also like.
  6. I found the Fender B sdtring to be fat and flabby, and lacking in definition.
  7. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I just bought a set of Fender 7150 Nickel Roundwounds. The true test won't come until Monday, but so far I've been extremely pleased with the change. FYI, I changed from the stock strings on my Fender MIM Jazz. I really liked my old strings and I really like the new ones, too. The 7150s seem much better for slap/pop than the stocks (7250s?), so it's too bad that I don't play like that. =)

But my first set lasted me for nearly a full year and still sound great. The only reason I changed is not that my old set was bad so much as I just felt like changing strings. I've not had as much experience as some of you, but the Fenders have treated me nice so far. =)