How many main players do you have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LadyLoveStingRay5, Jun 22, 2022.

1. 1

98 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. 2-4

320 vote(s)
    64.8%
  3. 5+

76 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. LadyLoveStingRay5

LadyLoveStingRay5

Jul 17, 2004
    For those of you with multiple basses , how many are in constant use?

2. Roscoe century 5
    MIJ Geddy Lee
    Pbass

Hop Jam and funkmasterron like this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Not counting my fretless, which I only use for jazz, I have 2. - a Fender parts bass I've had since about 1983, and a Lull P4 I've had about 21 years.

LadyLoveStingRay5 likes this.
  4. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Right now I have 2 identical basses that I take to every gig... a backup for these that I take to rehearsal, and usually around 10-12 in rotation in the shed. The rotating basses change from time to time with my mood.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  5. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Sandberg superlight TT 5 string
    Sandberg superlight TM 5 string
    Marusczsyk Jake 5P

xbud, Ks68jazz and LadyLoveStingRay5 like this.
  6. Fender AV '64 Jazz with Rounds, another Fender AV '64 with Flats and switch between a 1976 Precision with flats and an AV '63 P with flats.

7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I rotate several in and out of practice/ rehearsal, but the one usually getting the gig (for now) is my '06 Highway One Jazz.

I'm starting to hear grumblings from the others, though.

8. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    Most practicing is on the fives, but some days I'll use the fours:
    Big Al 5H
    Stingray Special 5HH
    Parts precision or 60's Classic Jazz

9. J Wilson

J Wilson

Apr 22, 2022
    An Undisclosed Location
    none
    At present, three, and if I were gigging, they would ALL be main players depending which one I had the itch to take with me today. They all get played for any and everything: If they don't, I don't need them.

I like to use them all. I could never be one of these guys with several or more that are just part of a 'collection', don't want no Closet Queens. I'm like Jay Leno and his cars: They all got to be ready to go right now, every day.

Kipp Harrington, 31HZ, petch and 3 others like this.
  10. Greg Pasquariello

Greg Pasquariello Commercial User

Jan 23, 2015
    Austin TX
    Headrest™ Amp Trays
    I was using a EBMM Stingray and a Fender Ultra P until recently... Now I'm primarily using a Sire P7 with occasional use of a Sire Jazz (the one in my avatar)

One Way and LadyLoveStingRay5 like this.
  11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

I have only 2 that are always out on stands, next to the amp; the other 23 (24, hopefully, next month), along with 5 guitars and a banjo (yeah, yeah; spare me the grief. At least it's a rare, old long scale one - and my only 5-er...:rolleyes:) come out in rotation 2 at a time for a month in the sunshine of daily play. The 2 that live in constant grabbing range, are the '73 Rick 4001, and the MIK Rogue VB-100 violin bass. Although... the Hofner 500/2 Sunburst Club Bass is definitely a contender for the VB-100's spot...:whistle:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Rezdog and LadyLoveStingRay5 like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Fretless (avatar) and a pretty current Fender P. There are other basses that I'll play weekly at least.
    3 if you count my main Tele. 4 if you add my main keyboard. But tomorrow like today I'll play my 2021 P and my fretless.

13. Just one. I find every new bass I buy is an improvement (for me) in some way over the last, so I just tend to use it exclusively for gigs and recordings.

The previous #1 drops down to my backup, and then one I haven't played in years gets sold.

This is my #1 these days:

20220110_201431.jpg

pbarr, BSatt, BEADG63 and 3 others like this.
  14. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Out of 4, 2 get played regularly.

15. All of them.

16. Ggaa

Ggaa Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2018
    I have 2, I take one or the other to work depending on the gig so they're both main players. They're RB and GPS Wick LX5s. RB is passive, GPS has 3x Bart pre(for now), both Bart J pups.

17. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Of my 11 (oh god, 11?) basses, I have three main players- a 78 P that gets most of my standard tuning 4 string work, a Fender Player Jazz that goes to Eb gigs, and a homemade 5-string that gets all the low B stuff. I do plan on selling some of the "extras," mainly the 5-strings I keep trying to replace my homely old parts bass with. Hoping to be down to 7 or less by the end of the year.

18. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    StingRay (with rounds)
    Jazz Bass (with rounds)
    Precision Bass (with flats)

I always bring one of the Basses with rounds, and the P Bass. That way, I’ll always have everything covered.

19. Aside from my main squeeze I have several basses that are the prime bass on various gigs due to the other players or my preference for the style or bands tone. That is the curse of multiple bands.

20. Blenin

Blenin Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Seattleish
    Main players.
    For my original band a Lull PT4 and a Lull JT4
    For my cover band a fretless Lull P4

ryco and LadyLoveStingRay5 like this.