How many members have you fired?!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Piezoman, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    How many members have you fired?!
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A few. Mostly for not making rehearsals.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    In my current band, over the years, 4. Every one of them have been singers.
  4. Just the one... He'd only been with us for 3 weeks and we were playing a show which was basically going to be the final test of whether or not we kept him. Anyway, he didnt' show up to the gig so it was a pretty easy decision.

When we got home that night we found an email saying sorry guys I can't make it, good luck with the gig.

How are we supposed to have good luck without a freaking singer?
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Just one... drummer that I had played with for six years through a few different bands... He started getting less and less reliable, showing up 10 minutes before stage time and then having to setup... almost like he was trying to prove that he could partially setup, play some songs, then finish setting up during break... Drum kit started falling into disrepair... Showed up late to a gig... Told him that the next time would be the last... Did it again a few months later... Asta la Vista...

P.S. Even though I have played with better drummers, I have never played with a more comfortable drummer... :(
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    None. Band members have come and gone, but weve never had to fire one.
  7. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Two-- a sax/harp player,and a very inconsistant guitar player. I don't know why I always have to be the heavy. :mad:
  8. 1, that second guitarist wasnt needed.
  9. Latest group - 2.

One drummer, one guitar / vocalist.

Their replacements are doing well.

No fun firing someone....

10. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I've been fired.
  11. I've only had to fire a few in 25+ years of gigging , but it's always been over drugs or alcohol.
    Even after a couple of chances to clean it up , I'd still end up having to fire them.
    Don't get me wrong , I'm not a prude and as a matter of fact I could give a rat's ass what anybody does on their own time, but I do this for a living .
    I don't show up to my gigs trashed and I expect the same from the people I contract.
    I won't tell you I've never worked a gig where everyone was trashed , but I was just a contract player. Your gig , your rules. My gig ,my rules.
    I'm going to shut up because this one of my favorite rants , but let me ask a question.
    You wouldn't let a drunked up, stoned heart surgeon operate on your baby sister, would you ?
    Why should your gigs be any different ?
  12. As a band member, I've been involved in numerous firings which would typically take place at some sort of band 'meeting.' There was only one time where I felt I had to do the firing on my own.

The person I fired is actually one of my brother in-laws. We had played in a few bands over the years, and he was the one who first introduced me to his sister- my future wife. Obviously it was a real touchy situation, as there was family as well as band involved but, after talking it over with my wife, we both agreed that it was the only solution. He was drinking way too much and in the period of over a month he made less than a handful of practices and missed about a dozen. He just was never there. Everyone else in the band were so pissed off at him the they just wanted to tell him to expletive off and die, which certainly wouldn't have helped my relation with my wife's family. So I volunteered to tell him. I was finally able to get him on the phone (I wanted to tell him in person but, at the time, he wasn't the easiest person to track down) and gave him the news. The funny thing was, even though he really wasn't participating in the band anyway, he was still surprised.:rolleyes:
  13. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I fired a guitarist once who got pissed at practice and started throwing everyone elses gear around the room...he was gone that night.

I was fired recently. I was out of town on business and got a call from a band member that he was thinking of quitting. I said "OK, think it over and let's have a face to face when I got home.". I come home and my wife hands me the local free newspaper. In it is an ad for a band needing a bassist/vocalist ASAP for pending gigs with the phone number of the guy who (I thought) was quitting:oops: .

Turns out my schedule wasn't working out for them. Nice way to find out 'eh? BTW, I did call every band member, tell them how embarrased I was, and then told them they could kiss my @$$ (2 mos later) they are still running the ad, not playing the "pending gigs...which BTW was only 1 per month" and am meeting new people and having a blast jamming with strangers. I have not found my new situation yet but it will come.
  14. punkachu

Nov 22, 2001
    southampton, uk
    the old bassist was fired to let me in, then we fired a singer by just playing without him, then we were a three piece and just kind of split up really.

i'm looking to start a new band though, but theres a lack of drummers at my college
  15. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Just the ones who can't handle their mud (alcohol or drug abuse) and the ones whos egos are out of hand. Oh, and anyone who shows up late to a gig or rehearsal without a phone call.
  16. and_Justice

Jan 14, 2000
    We parted with our singer. It was tough because he owned the P.A. and the rehersal space, but it had to be done. The rythem guitar player took over vocal duties.
  17. fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Actually, this is a pretty good point: How much "mud" should a band overlook before firing somebody?

I'd normally say whenever it affected their performance, but in my case, I've never known the guy/s any other way in the year I've been in the band.

I WILL say that coke makes you much more enthusiastic about drumming or singing...
  18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've fired a couple of people. It's no fun. I haven't been fired yet.
  19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've had to give a few guys the pink slip over the years for various reasons, but you really learn how to handle it once YOU YOURSELF have been fired.

I was fired from a band for the first time a few months ago. Reason: their old bass player who quit 6 months earlier wanted to come back. Of course, I quit another band to join this one, did so on very short notice, and of course there were no complaints about my playing or professionalism. They just had a friendship-history with the guy after several years of heavy gigging, and agreed to take him back when he said he missed it.

Of course, it sucked being out of that band and my previous band. What really sucked was the way they handled it, a total lack of respect. Simply e-mailed me and told me not to show up that weekend, or call and give them any crap about it, the decision was made. Well gee, you're very welcome, guys. No "thanks man", no "farewell round at the bar", not even a freakin' phone call. Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth, for my first firing in over 15 years of playing in bands.

The number one key in letting someone go, regardless of reason, is to treat them with respect and dignity. If you can't do that, then you have no business being the one to tell them. Do it in person, be polite, and do it in such a manner that the person knows that it is a business decision and not a personal slam. They're going to be upset and will disagree with the decision no matter what, but you should show courtesy, if for no other reason to keep from burning bridges in the future, as well as "kindness towards your fellow man".