1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Many Metalheads Here Use A Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Jun 28, 2003.

1. I was bored, and decided to start a thread.

I dont own a Jazz bass myself...i wouldnt mind snatchin one up one day for sure though.
    So how many you other Metalheads on this board use a Jazz bass?

Anyone who has one, how do you like it for metal/hard rock etc....

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I used a Peavey Foundation, which is a Jazz copy, in my original metal band for almost 10 years.

The only reason that I don't use it anymore is because I prefer using a 6 string or a 12 string for heavy music, and it(and my Jazz bass) only have 4 strings.

3. CKYBassist

CKYBassist

Nov 28, 2002
    I play in a band that plays metal. We play lots of different stuff - from RATM to Slayer. I use an Essex SJB-62QMD jazz. I hope to get a fender GL jazz bass soon. A lot of people look at me weird because the other guitarists in my band use ESP F series guitars (super pointy). But screw them i love the sound and feel of a jazz bass.

4. that's the thing about the Fender Jazz, I've literally seen it in every type of modern music...so I guess that since its a standard sound today, what the hell, lets see it in metal!

5. deftim69

deftim69

Jun 11, 2003
    I play metal and just got a roscoe beck and a fender jazz fmt model. I will never play anything else. I prefer the roscoe over the fmt but I play both when I play live.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    a Jazz will work well in just about anything..... the only question is making sure you have enough low end for metal, whcih some models are a bit shy of.

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Nothing like a good growl to cut through in metal.

Jazz basses all the way!

8. I use a Yamaha BB1500A (active jazz copy)

9. Jazz body with a (very flat) P neck! Growl, comfort and best fit for my left hand so far!

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I played metal primarily in the 80's and early 90's (not the hair band stuff) and play some old Metallica and Sabbath now. I use Jazz style 5's exclusively. Wouldn't have it any other way.

11. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't, but not on account of the sound. I simply have no tolerance for a 4 string with a nut less than 1.65" at the nut (42mm). THe 5 string Jazzes I've played I've liked well enough, but the 4s are too narrow at the nut for my meat hands.

12. cronos from venom uses a jazz bass as well, i think jazz basses are okay for metal, to me humbuckers break down the bass and fundamental sound associated with metal, P-basses have no tight mid girth, and J-basses has no low-end push like humbuckers. but both can be used fairly well.
    i have a P/J setup on my bass, i think the J tightens the sound well, with the punch of the P.

13. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I used to play metal and for years my axes of choice were Jazz Basses with EMGs and a Badass II bridges. I found this to be a very versatile set up and quiet as well. You have more muscle than your standard passive set up an you still cut through the mix. I'd later upgrade to a G&L ASAT bass which is basically a Fender Jazz on steroids albeit shaped like a Telecaster. My ASAT has all the mods and then some already built in plus the comfy Jazz-style neck.

I've tried some Mex. Jazz Deluxes (4 and 5 string models) that seem to be pretty good bang for the buck IMHO. Though my metal years are behind me, I could see these axes doing the job and then some on a budget. I mean, if it MUST be a Jazz, then I'd give these guys a shot.

If you do take the passive electronics root, I'd give the ole PJ set up a go. Many Fender knock offs have them and now Fender has this Aerodyne Bass that seems to fit this bill. Otherwise there's plenty of P bass hot rods with a PJ set up out there.

r

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I was playing a MIA J five for a long time before switching back to a 4 string P.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Jazzes are as common in metal as in pretty much any other pop/rock genre.

The bassist from Opeth plays a Marcus Miller Jazz model for example.

16. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    I use a MIM jazz with Barts and a baddass 2 bridge, sounds killer

17. i wouldn't say there that popular in metal, id say humbuckers are the most popular in metal. i can name jason newsted/cronos/opeth guy/ and a little bit more. but the scene is packed with humbucker users.

18. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Just because it is a jazz bass doesn't mean that it won't fit into the metal tunes you play. Go with what you think sounds and feels good to you, be an individual. I use to play nothing but Jacksons and I loved all of them but I now have two Roscoe LG 3005s, a Warwick Thumb NT 4, Warwick Streamer Stage II 4, and I now just purchased a F Bass BN 5. The Warwick you will see being used in some of the modern hard rock/metal bands but you sure wouldn't see a Roscoe or F Bass.

Shawn

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

19. I love J-basses, but I would have to have a couple things on a J-bass if I ever got one:

1)Gotta have a P-bass neck.

2)Gotta have an On/Off switch. The two volume knobs gets annoying to me.

3)BadAss II bridge, adds lots of clarity and snap and punch.

4)a 2nd string tree. A little thing I have.

5)Possibly Bartolini pickups.

That's about it. I have an SX SJB-62 Fretless, which I'm going to coat the fretboard, add a 2nd string tree, possibly an on/off switch, add some Bart pickups (probably the 9J1 in the neck position and 9K1 in the bridge position), swap out the pots and input jack and put on some J-bass knobs. I might also switch the pickguard for a black one.

20. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Jason Newsted plays 5 string Sadowsky Jazzes with pretty good effect.John Paul Jones played Jazzes on most of Led Zeppelins music,but that's old news.