1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many mics do you own?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dxb, Jan 24, 2018.

1. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. 2

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. 3-4

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. 5-7

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. 8-11

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. 12-16

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. 17-22

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. 23-29

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  10. 30-37

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  11. 38+

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I do a bit of recording at home so I currently have about a dozen mics (not counting ones built into portable recorders or phones). Now I'm curious how many mics other people have in their personal collections.

Bassbeater likes this.
  2. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Somewhere around 20. Some I've had since the '80s.

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I’m in the 12 to 16 range. My wife never understood why I needed so so many mics. I would own more and better mics if I had the money!

4. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Had about ten excellent workhose mics. Had to sell because I had to pay for an album I was recording with my band. Kinda of a paradox. Now I only have a pair of 57's.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    12-16

I've got a stable of Shure 55s, SM58s and SM57s for live use; a pair of A-T 2035s for home vocal/instrument recording; M-Audio Pulsar II (small diaphragm condenser pair); A-T ATM350 clip on instrument mic (for dobro/banjo/acoustic).

Not sure what my next mic will be - but there WILL be a next mic!

Bassbeater likes this.
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Too many. SM58 (x2); SM57 (x2); SM86 (x2); Shure Super 55 ... LDC multi-pattern MXL 4000 (x2); MXL SDC 603S (x2); and probably a dozen more in the cabinet.

DirtDog likes this.
  7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    just starting out (again) on digital recording.
    I have an SM57, 2 SM58's and a Behringer copy of the Rode NT-1 (seems like a decent mic).
    When I do work with a couple of my original bands, the other players all seem to have one or two really good mics that we can use too.
    So, its a work in progress for sure.

DirtDog likes this.
  8. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

3: Shure Beta 58 , Sennheiser e845S , Sennheiser e609

DirtDog likes this.
  9. wayshot

wayshot

Sep 25, 2006
    Skage, Norway
    My collection consists of a Studio Projects TB1, two Shure Beta 57A, one Beta 91a and a Sennheiser e600-series drum mic case (1x e602-II, 4x e604, 2x e614). The Shures and Sennheisers are more often used for live sound than recording, though.

10. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Too many! I have a set of 7 EV mics just for drums (in their own case)! Last count, not including non-functioning mics, 36 mics (above EVs included)...

There have been a lot of great records made with just the venerable SM57s however! So, fancy and/or expensive mics aren't necessary, but more of a luxury. I feel lucky to have the collection of mics,instruments and studio gear that I have!!

11. timmit65

timmit65

Oct 24, 2017
    Panama City, FL
    Too many...not really!

12. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

About 20 to 22. They breed in the closet. I need to get rid of a few I don't use. I use Shure 330s for vocals nearly 100% of the time for recording, and Heil Fins for live shows. All I really need beyond that are the two overheads for the drums, the kick drum mic, and a couple guitar amp mics. I run the bass DI for recording, and just through the amp live. I keep a relatively inexpensive tube condenser for when I want to put a ribbon and a condenser on a specific vocalist, but other than that, there's not much point in some of them.

Bassbeater likes this.
  13. 3rdstone

3rdstone

Nov 27, 2010
    Michigan
    Four LCD Tube mics, Four LCD SS Mics, Five SCD Mics, Three Ribbons, and at last count, Fourteen Dynamic Mics..

14. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I have many. Sennheiser e835s and e906s for gigs that live in a go bag. Many various vocal mics in my practice space. Whole gaggle of Audix i5 as my utility mic. Trio of CAD M179 for large condenser utility. A duo of AT Pro 37 for small condenser utility. Some Rode NT1s and SM7B and SM57 for vocal recording duties. Some extra mics for drum recording. I have some noname mics that might live in the sock drawer and I will use them when I’m home and feel like making a demo when sound quality isn’t that important. My Rock Band USB mic is a demo favorite even though it’s terrible. Overall I’d imagine I have around 30 mics.

15. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    More than a dozen... probably less than 20. (I think!)

Only one "pair" ( a couple of Oktava multi-capsule sets ), the rest are various "secret weapon" oddballs that I have come to like using (several are long out of production)

Bassbeater likes this.
  16. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I think I have 12. They are of varying price and quality. I mix up preamps though pretty frequently. The preamp can change the mic response completely.
    One of my workhorse vocal mics cost about $20 new. It's a 58 clone. It just happens to produce a very usable sound in the mix for my voice. Almost as good as my SM7. For bass I use an EV cO4 or an sm57, and sometimes a LD for the room(mostly I use direct for bass though).

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

when i owned a studio: 50 or so at any given time (all kinds for all uses, of course). now: PA work and basement recording = so many things go direct these days: i rarely use more than 6-8 (mostly 57's and 58's) + drum array at a gig/FOH.

but past or present: it's not how many...it's how we use them.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021