Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many milliamps equal 1 amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jennifer, Sep 19, 2000.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Would somebody please tell me how many milliamps equal one amp? Is mA the right abbreviation for milliamp?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    milli= 1/1000th. millimeter = 1/1000th of a meter

mA is correct

3. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Thanks, John. So 60mA = .06A, right? It doesn't look right to me, but I divided 60 by 1000 to get the answer.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Right!

It's probably easier when you're used to the metric system, eg. meter, centimeter, millimeter.
    BTW: For me it's hard to juggle around with inches, feet, oz., pints, gallons, etc. :)

5. :D:D:D Yeah, who on earth taught you Americans and English to count till 12. We Europeans only got 10 fingers!!!! And why did you turn around the , and the .? We use , for fractions (like 1,5) and . for each 3 zeros (like 1.000.000)
    And why do put an 's' behind a unit once it's more than one? Units don't have a plural form in Europe. In Europe it's also a custom to put a zero before a fraction smaller than one (like 0,001) Than way it's easier to see how small the number is. I.e.: 0,001 - put it the other way round - you get 1,000

By the way it's like this:

deca = 10
    hecto = 100
    kilo = 1,000
    mega = 1,000,000
    giga = 1,000,000,000
    tera = 1,000,000,000,000
    peta = 1,000,000,000,000,000
    exa = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000

going down:

deci = .1
    centi = .01
    milli = .001
    micro = .000001
    nano = .000000001
    pico = .000000000001
    atto = .000000000000001
    femto = .000000000000000001

1.21 gigaWatts is 1,210,000,000 Watts. Some amp!

[Edited by Joris on 09-19-2000 at 04:06 PM]

6. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Thank you all for the info, sorry it took me so long to reply. I finally caught the damn resipratory infection that's been going around. Doc's got me on 3 different meds. And, Joris, all very good questions. My answer to your who and why questions is - I don't have a clue! :D I just muddle through when I need to. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the W=VxA thing because I am going to get my house "off the grid".

How about another question. For devices, such as lamps, that have a rating, when they used another device, such as a light bulb that has it's own rating, how do you determine the final rating?

7. I think I understand your question. A light fixture has a rating, actually a limit, of say 60 Watts. This means you can use a light bulb of 60 Watts or less. If you screw in a 30 Watt light bulb, you are only pulling 30 Watts. Is that what you mean?

Going off the grid huh? Cool. As for P=IV, in AC, it's actually P=I*V*cosine(theta), where "theta" is the phase angle between the current and the voltage. :D (Just confusing you for fun.)

Chris

8. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    throbbinnut- Yeah, that's my question. And when I look at my lamps, they all say 250W and 250V. That seems awfully high to me, but that's what they all say. So, I should be going by the light bulb rating then? Of whatever the highest wattage bulb I would use? I need to go check out the flourescents.

As for your second paragraph, :p, don't be confusing me! :D If I have to get that deep into it, this is gonna take a while! :)

9. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    "Yeah, who on earth taught you Americans and English to count till 12. We Europeans only got 10 fingers!!!!"

We go barefoot a lot. :D

10. That 250V/250W is the maximum allowable rating for the actual socket assembly. Go by the voltage and power ratings of the actual load, i.e. the bulbs themselves.

Fluorescents are probably 40 Watts per standard tube, 80 Watts for a shop light with 2 tubes.

Don't forget your margin of error. Round up by 25% or so to compensate for non-linear loads.

Chris

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Metric System Rules.
    I still dont get used to cable lenght in feets..
    I like to say.. 3 meters, 6 meters...
    20 Feet = about 6 meters..
    upps.. to much for me..

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Jennifer,

I think Joris may be misleading you.

We have these giant, disgusting centipede things over here in Korea that like to crawl over your feet in the middle of the night when you use the latrine. I caught one, and despite the nomenclature, it had only about 40 legs (it was moving around a lot, so it was hard to get an accurate count), plus two antennae and two things sticking out of its butt that looked like legs but I don't think really were.

It might be different with amps though.

:D

13. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    According to the chart Joris was kind enough to provide, I'd have to say the creature you caught was in all actuality the infamous QUADRADECAPEDE!!! :confused: :D

14. Yeah Jennifer, sure as hell wasn't a metric centipede! I think it's hard to walk with .01 legs....

15. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Joris,

Aren't you guys the same,eh,blokes what named Greenland and Iceland?...;)

16. Ehhhmmmm.... :rolleyes: :D Actually the Normans did.

But it was a long time ago. Maybe back then Greenland was green. But Iceland still has a lotta ice on it, last time I checked.

17. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Greenland WAS green those days (about 1000 years ago).
    Matthias

That's what I call off-topic :D

18. Ain't TalkBass great?

19. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yep.

BTW, Joris: Would you be so kind and have a glance at my "how to get the most out of your rig" thread? Your comment is highly appreciated.

Matthias

20. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Joris,

After I posted that wisecrack I thought..."man,I hope he's not from France or somewhere like that."...Sheesh,I gotta check those profiles before I open my big mouth.(sorry)