How Many Mods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by via satellite, Mar 15, 2005.

1. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    Ok, so maybe I take things a bit overboard, but I like to think that my Frankenbasses are "special." Well, they are to me!

Whatever the case, for me, doing mods is like eating Pringles...I just can't stop! For example:

Fender MIM J bass- Started with just an ebay body, got a used Warmoth neck...but of course it needed refinishing. Put on a brass nut, Badass II, Schaller hardware, a black pickguard, and popped in some DiMarzio model J's.

Peavey Dynabass 5- Well, this guy came from ebay too, with a warped neck. So on went a Foundation bass neck, active eq, some crappy Ping tuners I had sitting around, and a Wilkinson bridge.

The new Yamaha is scared, I think...especially since I decided its pickups have GOT to go!

So, how many mods have yours got?
  2. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    my jazz is pretty hot rodded, but on that note, i had that problem with cars. My mustang started so tame, and 2 years later was a 380hp firebreathing rocket (near undrivable) I learned my lesson with that, and consider the usefullness/cost of each upgrade and try to disregard the cool factor

Mex Fender Jazz
    Stylin Fender STRAP !
    i still want a pearl or chrome pick guard

ESP V-304
    Tuners - stepped on one... dont ask
    otherwise stock - not much to improve on, they did the hotrodding stock.

MIJ Strat :bag:
    shoppin pu'ps
    New tuners
    new switches and pots !
    Does that count?
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've got two.

My franken-jazz:

- Warmoth body
    - Karl Hoyt neck
    - pickups changed a few times, but settled on a Duncan alnico MM pup and a Duncan hot jazz pup
    - U Retro preamp with the switches buried in the cavity
    - Schaller bridge
    - Hipshot ultralite tuners

Then I have a walnut P special that I purchased after someone already replaced the original neck with a Chandler fretless neck. I replaced the tuners and string retainer to gold plated versions to match the rest of the hardware.
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've always liked dinking around with my instruments, past and present, though usually I never go beyond switching out pickups or trying different wiring schemes. My guitar, though, is definitely a frankenstein. Fender MIM Duo-Sonic body and pickguard, Mighty Mite Telecaster neck, DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Strat pickups (wired up with a phase switch), Schaller bridge, Gotoh tuners.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Mods? The only mod I've had done on my Samick Fairlane was to have a Carvin flip-up battery compartment installed. Best mod I ever could have had done on the bass. Battery changes are a snap now.

I've been toying with the idea of changing the pups/preamp in my Fairlane and maybe putting some DiMarzio J pickups in my Ibanez 5-string, but the basses sound pretty good to me as is, so no biggie.
  6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Frankin' P

Started as an SX P

SD 1/4 pound pickup
    New electronics
    Tort p/g
    Jazz neck
    Graphite nut
  7. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    DR Strings
    My 2 fraken's are:

My 2000 EBMM StingRay 5 with Bart pup, hipshot ultralites and thumb rest. I had the headstock painted to match the body (black) and added a tortoise pg.

My SX 75 J- Hipshot bridge, EBMM Stingray 5 Tuners, reshaped headstock... so far. I'm thinkin about switching pups.
  8. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Roscoe LG-3000:
    * Mike Lull re-fret with smaller fret wire
    * Maple fretboard refinish from semi-gloss nitro to hi-gloss nitro (feel thing)
    * Changed graphite nut for a bone nut
    * Changed the volume and balance pot values for a warmer sound
    * Added an active/passive pull-pot switch
    * Added Dunlop strap locks

MusicMan Bongo 4 HH:
    * Added Dunlop strap locks

That's it for current basses. I can't seem to leave well enough alone with most guitars though.

My second bass was a G&L LB-1 that was eventually modded to the point where the neck wood was the only remaining original part. It became a P/J Warmoth 'frankenbass'. Medium-lightweight alder Warmoth P body and pickguard (custom routed to fit the G&L neck), re-fret with vintage size fret wire, bone nut, Hipshot tuners w/Bass Xtender, SD Antiquities P/J pickups, used bridge from early '60s Fender P bass. It was a classic tone monster! Someone offered me good money for it and away it went.

I used to have a pre-Gibson Tobias Growler 4 that experienced a drastic personality change by way of an ABM bridge, SD Basslines AlNiCo MM pickup (with a series/parallel/single coil 3-way switch), and a Bartolini MTMB 18v pre (with an active/passive switch and a 3-way mid frequency selector switch). This was the most flexible single pickup bass I've ever played and a dream to play. The smallish lightweight ash body, though, made for a slightly weak sounding E string. Great bass otherwise.
  9. xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    MIJ fender Marcus Miller:
    routed out and replaced bridge p/u with ceramic SD musicmanHB(but will hopefully soon be replacing that with the alinco)
    500k volume pot for the SD(have stacked 500/250K for both volumes stacked since i always hit the neck p/u volume at shows)
    3-way "on-on-on" mini-toggle replaced "active/passive :rolleyes: " switch for parallel/single/series for the SDMM p/u.
    had replaced the BAII bridge with ol'school fender NOS brass "ventures" style bridge, but switched back to BAII to use the fender bridge for another possible project-see below.
    contemplating going for the full on "Sabre" mod and routing out the neck p/u and also replacing with a SD musicman p/u and adding a second mini 3-way toggle for that one as well(so i can still get a "jazz" tone if need be) or experiment with different wiring combos until i find one or two i'm happy with.
    or just skip the routing and just pick up the SD stacked jazz HB and use the above mentioned wiring options.

then next on the list will be a building a P with a J neck(possibly with just a MM p/u in the "sweet spot" since the one in my marcus is a bit closer to the bridge to truly get that MM sound on it's own) or just standard P p/u setup. haven't decided yet.
  10. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Geddy Lee Sig:

Switched to Nord NJ4SEs
    installed J Retro
    new silver pearloid p/g
    new Hipshot tuners
    switched to Bart 9js
    routed body for active preamp w/ side output jack
    routed for battery box
    switched to black pearloid p/g
    installed Sadowsky pre w/VTC
    installed spokewheel truss adjustment
    installed straplocks
    installed 6 recessed ferruled screws in place of standard neckplate

Yeah... it's an addiction... :D
  11. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
  12. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    That's the best one I have of it's last configuration. Being an incurable tweaker, I disassembled it last month in order to use the neck/pre/tuners on a Warmoth project assembled by TB's own Nino Valenti. I'll post about it when things get underway - the body has to be painted, parts have to be accumulated. I'm being patient about it, but all the Valenti threads of late have me chomping at the bit... :hyper:
  13. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements

I never, ever modify an instrument. I never buy modified instruments.

1: If I don't like the original instrument, I don't buy it in the first place. Once I buy it, I do my best to maintain the original integrity of the piece, consistent with good setup.

2: Mods to an otherwise stock instrument are normally quite hard to get your money back out of.

For me, that's the end of the story. Game over.

If someone gave me already-modded beater, I might monkey around with it a bit, but I wouldn't sink any money into it.
  14. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Only Mod I've done to my SX Jazz is a change of pickguard from white to pearloid - propr to Kurt for the PG.

On my Ibanez RB800, had to do a direct drop for the bridge to a gotoh 206 - other one was so screwed up (and older than me, was broken pretty much)
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My warwick thumb has EMG JV's, EMG BTC, Brass nut, and gold accents on the bridge...

I'm actually about to get rid of the EMG's and get some SD humbuckers and a U retro.