How many needed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Achilles LS, Mar 10, 2003.

1. I think only one bass is enough for me, I can play a wide variety of tones with my P-Bass only changin' the bass knobs.

How about you? Do you think one bass is enough or do you need different basses to get different tones?
  2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Fretless and fretted- nuff said.:)
  3. Really, all I need is my Grabber, but I'd still dump some cash on a few Fenders, MusicMan, maybe some others.

But, then, Grabber rocks, and I can't afford lots of basses.
    Don't get me wrong, I'll never part with the Gibson!!! :bassist:
  4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    How many for me? 1(+1)
    One bass to gig with.
    One bass to take to gigs for backup.
    (for now......:D )
  5. All you really need is a fretted 4 and maybe a fretless 4, but if you want to expand try more strings, anything more than 6 is kinda too many
  6. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    As many as the bank/significant other will let you get away with :D ;) :bassist:
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    1 player and 1 backup. My greatest need now is to get a new amp. But that's another story :).

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Q: How many needed?
    A: One more than you have at any given moment.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Depends on your situation. If you get to play "YOUR" style of bass and "YOUR" sound, then one bass that encompasses that will do. If you need a feeling of security, then two so you can have a backup.

But, if you are a jobber who plays in multiple bands or a session guy, you will need more basses. If you're in a Beatles tribute band, a Hofner style bass or Rickenbacker would be recommended. If you're in an alternative band, a modern sounding bass like a Warwick would be more fitting. It really depends on the band/recording situation. I recommend at least one Precision Bass with flatwounds. I don't like the way a P bass plays, but the sound is classic and works for "vintage" music like Blues, Country, and R&B. This sound works well in most working ensemble settings. Then you can add basses as your needs arise.

But, if you are like me and suffer from GAS, then you'll always be one away from your perfect collection.
  10. Amen Brother!:D :bassist: ;) :p
  11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I haven't quite decided yet.
  12. I like the 1 jazz, 1 P, 1 JP, 1 hummy collection I go. I have a bass for many things
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As always, Brad Johnson could be wrong.
  14. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

best answer yet!

15. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    one is all I need now.

I will need four in future:
    same one I have now.
    really good quality 4-er for new main bass.
    fretless 4, since fretelesses are cool.
    a non doubled 3 octave 8, to achieve crazy lows, insane highs, and everything in between.
  16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Truer words have never been spoken.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Seeing as how I just play fretted fivers, my minimum requirement is rather minimal:

1) player
    2) backup (always!)

That said, it's nice to have

3) a beater bass for those nasty dives where you might need a weapon (shield?)

But subcategories are nice:

1a) active for modern hi-fi tones
    1b) passive for traditional tones

...and you can subdivide as often as desired. I currently have five different-sounding (to my ears) basses that I rotate regularly depending on my mood.