Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many notes can you play at one stroke?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by claypool, May 12, 2003.

1. claypool

claypool

Jul 6, 2000
    Seoul Korea
    how many notes can you play going down and up with your right hand?
    i saw victor wootens 98 bass day, and he explains some stuffs on getting most notes out of one stroke... how many can people play?^^ just curious

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i can chord across all 8 strings on my (non-doubled) 8 string basses and play 8 notes at a time. i find i get more mileage, however, when i play fewer that have more meaning. :)

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    JT...you're a man!
    no wait...you're a dragon!!
    no, you're a dragon-man!!!
    and the dragon comes in the NIIIIGHHT!

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee. is that a dio song?

5. Yo john,
    Theoretically you can do hammer-ons from open strings on your 8 stringer for up to 40 notes in one strum and sound like garbage.
    I think Mr. Wooten assumed that it would be used with taste, not so much for extremeness. But I 'm guilty of liking extreme (which is why I covet John's basses).

On a side note John, I took up my classical guitar again to relearn treble clef, while I relearn my bass clef. This is to help prepare me for when I get my "Turneresque" 7 or 8 string bass. (I want to be able to read both clef on that bad boy) I haven't been pumped to practice sight reading in years.

6. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    If you play an open string that would be 0(zero)right?

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    15, two octave scale with a single upstroke or downstroke of the bow. :D

8. Ah! You're talking scales. The original post refered to notes not scales. So I still say 40 notes possible (though highly unlikely, and unmusical) on an 8 string.

But I think Vics original intention was not to get as many possible notes from a single sweep of a thumb, instead he probably meant to use economy of motion in a tasteful way (or at least musical way). He is well known to use open string plucks to reduce the burden of the left hand, and hammer-ons to reduce the burden of the right; dividing the work of a busy bass line between hands in a fashion.

So yes, my theory of the 40 notes is ridiculous; but it does address Claypools thread (the way he worded it, concerning John's basses).

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I can play 12 notes... just like that Joe Pacciano guy! :D

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Any number I want, hammer-ons and pull-off 'til my fingers bleed :p

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Four on a 4-string bass, five on a 5-stringer, six on a 6-stringer, seven on a 7-stringer, etc...

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    A scale, melody, chord consists of notes arranged in a particular order i.e. intervals between them. :D

13. claypool

claypool

Jul 6, 2000
    Seoul Korea
    how many notes can every one play at one up and down motion in slapping?...
    i use 4fingers for plucking, and if i count the hammered note, i get about 8.. on a 4 string..
    very sloppy, but gettin there:p

14. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I think the techniqute you're reffering to is a guitar one, called sweep picking. This consists of (normally) single position scale playing. Pick a note on the first string, hammer on a 1 or 2 notes, then pick the next string, hammer, next string etc. But all done in one relatively quick strum. You can then pull off really fast runs.

15. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Is that an open string JB?:D

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This is to say that I can't slap.

17. ConU

ConU