How Many ODs/Dirts?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Being and Bass, Jan 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    I'm fully suffering from a modulation phobia! :D
    (not pictured: B7KU & Nunez Amps Annex bass Drive)
    image.jpeg

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I run 2 a bridge city beard fuzz and my darkglass bk3

3. I have 4.
    B3K - Heavy, fast stuff (think thrash)
    Pork Loin - Just Classic Drive, works in so many applications, often for OD based doom stuff.
    Pharaoh Supreme - my muff of choice, used for full on grindy doom
    GK Rails - Light OD, works for rock stuff, but usually used as a dirty boost into any of the others for parts that reall need to stick out.

SunnBass likes this.
  4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I have six dirt pedals, each with a unique feel and voice. The lower gain (OD) pedals can be stacked to create an even wider variety of sounds (try it you'll like it). Stacking the first five pedals simultaneously gets very close in sound/feel to my sixth pedal, which is a Fuzz (Big Muff clone). The fifth pedal is almost never used by itself, but it stacks really well with 1-4.

5. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Let's see EXH Hot Wax that is 2 Overdrives in one. MR Black Bass OD, Source audio aftershock (3 dirt types easily and 6 if you use the B side). Iron Ether Oxide, Zevex Mastotron, Red Witch Zeus(octave Fuzz), and the incoming Pork & Pickle (if it ever arrives). So 7 and the new Green EXH Muff Reissue that I will get soon.

6. cdwthunderfoot

cdwthunderfoot

Nov 29, 2015
    Illinois
    I have 4 on my board: 1 OD, 1 Dist, 1 Fuzz, and lastly a preamp/DI that has a dirty side for a "pushed amp" type sound.

7. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    I own 22 od's/fuzz/dist's but I use only 2 at a time. One OD and one Fuzz. Any more than that get's too unwieldy eq wise in a mix for me personally. And I don't see any practical benefit because ultimately the audience never notices. For recording though I use any of the 22 that work for that particular mix. But still never more than two sounds per song and usually only one sound per song. I like to KISS.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  8. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    ACD41850-3FED-4EDF-AA1C-CA4737780222.jpeg i currently have 7 boxes that make dirt, and all are very necessary! :roflmao:

9. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Bass-specific, I guess I only have the one built into my DI (though it has two modes, one that just distorts the lows and the other that distorts everything, both of which are useful). But on my guitar board, which I sometimes plug a bass into, there are another... three? Plus a higher gain switch on one of those? And another one of them is sort of four fuzzez in one box?

Still, that's way down from the eight or nine dirt pedals I had just a couple of years ago, including two different Rats because I wanted to see if there was anything to the Made in Usa vs Made in China argument.

10. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Since everyone is sharing their own setups, I use (in order):
    Russian Big Muff Re-Issue
    Hot Wax (Crayon and Hot Tubes stacked)
    English Muff'n
    Holy Stain (in Superego+ loop)

They all have a real purpose and don't step on eachother too much, with the Muff'n always on (but not likely for long) with the Wax for leads and thick lines. The Muff is obvious and the Stain adds dirt to my synth gliss and freezes when I want a clean bass tone.

On the horizon are a Darkglass Alpha-Omega to replace the Muff'n entirely, a Deluxe Guitar Big Muff for a cleaner and more controlled fuzz (leaving the Russian to go full Putin) with wah, and an 808 Tubescreamer to push the tube compressor at the start of my chain. This would leave me with "7" dirt pedals: two fuzz (one extreme and one flexible), two distortions (one always on and one in the Superego), and three ODs (Tubescreamer for my tubes and the Hot Wax for non-fuzz dirt). It still seems like a lot for my board, but at least I am in good company.

ThinCrappyTone and Jakeman like this.
  11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    My late Mother's late Aunt, a dour puritan, remarked, "Dirt: We spend a lifetime fighting it, and in the end, they throw it in our face."

slobake and Being and Bass like this.
  12. I have quite a few dirt boxes... only three on the board although trying to make it 4... currently cog mini 66 as always on for a blend of a bit of always on bass heavy OD, mbd1 for when I need some low grind and a you’re doom fuzz for octave up cover the spectrum more (plus I sounds awesome with wah)... did use the aftershock mainly as a rat with blend but could never find a sweet spot to make it articulate enough and after having issues playing it live it’s gone back to its box... my band plays metal of variety of “stuff” TM - mostly a downtuned groove metal type but use mbd1 and you’re doom flavours for when we play doom / thrash type more... really really wanting a depth charge style fuzz to emulate a doom but articulate boom for some songs though!

Being and Bass likes this.
  13. ( small edit, in boxes / my home board I also have Devi ever Hyperion, earthbound supercollider, v8 tone fuzz, Proco turbo rat, aftershock, OFD, subdecay noise box, subdecay flying tomato fuzz, catalinbread v8 tone fuzz) most of these I’m giving to guitar friend / testing they work before going for sale, if I don’t use it may as well let someone else!

14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have 1. Southampton Fifth Gear.
    I used to run a TCE Spark boost, but it was too close to my clean tone, so i dropped it.
    The Fifth Gear is my “aggressive” drive. I’m looking for another low gain drive with character (in a 1590a enclosure, space is at a premium) but if i don’t find one, i won’t worry.

cataract likes this.
  15. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    when you say "but it was too close to my clean tone so i dropped it" do you mean it did not get dirty enough? did it only boost your clean tone without adding dirt? just courious because i was interested in the tc spark.

16. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    3 out of the 6 pedals on my board are dirt. I like OD for an always on pedal, then use fuzz/distortion for a more extreme sound on the slower/mid-tempo songs.

17. I have in my board 2 od one distortion and a Fuzz. I stack em or use them individaualy. I use compression only to add sustain and level the volume of my ODs. Gassing for the new Pork pickle. No need for other FX. I bought a wah and i feel that it was unnecessary.

18. Super Bass

Super Bass

Feb 4, 2017
    I have 58 drive pedals and I keep looking for more!

19. JES

JES Supporting Member

I like to use 3 at a time. Overdrive, something to push it much further, and a fuzz. Am toying with a "clean" boost on top of it all.

20. Uncle Hanky

Uncle Hanky

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    I only have one, but my head already has a pretty damn sweet gain channel (1973 Peavey Century 120). I currently have an EHX Metal Muff, but I really want a Way Huge Swollen Pickle, a DOD Carcosa, and one of the new EHX Green Russian pedals.

armybass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021