How many of us sit when practicing and.......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Slaphound, May 18, 2007.

1. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    .........what do you sit in?

steve

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My office chair in front of the computer. The wireless prevents the previous problem of cord tangling.

3. K-Punk

K-Punk Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2007
    PDX
    I do both..I just try to have my strap the same length when I stand as it is when I sit. That way when I'm gigging I'm not floundering cause my bass is too low.

I like to sit on the couch when I practice..

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I generally sit on the couch with two big pillows behind my back for support. Or I sit in my computer chair when I play along with recorded music....

5. Slaphound

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I rarely stand, unless my back starts to ache. Generally, I like to sit in my make shift music room on a regular folding chair. Its padded some and I also have a table on which I place my laptop and some speakers on. Or like right now I'm on the couch with my bass and obviously my laptop.:)

steve

6. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Years back when I was a student in rented accomodation I was in a house that had a really cool stool in the bathroom - about normal/low chair hieght (lower than most stools), shapped like a barrel, with a large round padded top (much wider than a normal stool). It got shifted into my room pretty quickly, as it was perfect for playing bass on. It was more comfy and stable than a regular stool, and without arms or back to get in the way.

It became a part of my practice rituals (I was practicing a LOT more then than I have time to now, so the routine was a big thing), along with a bunch of green pens I used for transcriptions (weird, but it it was a long time ago).

By some strange accident, it got taken with me when I moved ;-). I still use it today.

Ian

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Plantar Fasciitis makes me sit at rehearsals and when practicing. I Vicodin up for gigs if my foot hurts too much on gig night.

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I have to sit while playing due to some physical disability issues and after trying a couple of different guitar/drum type stools in the last few years, I just got a brand new Roc 'n Soc Lunar LSGX stool with a foot ring and back rest. This stool is great! It has a pneumatic center column and a special seat design that makes holding my bass on my right leg much more comfortable than anything else I've tried. I don't have any pictures yet but you can check them out at www.rocnsoc.com

George

9. X Wolf, which throne types did you try prior to Rocnsoc? Otherwise, I've seen nothing that looks as comfortable as what you cite, and clearly the cost is worthwhile with physical factors.

Until I need a Rocnsoc, I currently use a lesser drum-type throne, but it's better than many options on market. I paid $80. I like it a lot because (1) the height is VERY adjustable, (2) there's a footrest, (3) I can remove the back support, and (4) it folds somewhat for taking to workshops, and hopefully, eventually, to gigs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Throne/

I typically use this at higher than normal elevation when practicing, and have used it with an electric upright vertical bass also.

10. Slaphound

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Thats exactly what Im looking for. I don't need to spend the money but they sure look comfortable.

Thanks X Wolf. Thats why I started this thread. I need some good ideas.:)

11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have a tall stool (with a back) that I use. actually I mostly just sort of sit on the edge with one foot up on the rail. When I am doing some Bach or other classical type pieces, I do sit more fully though. When picking off songs, I am frewuently sitting on the floor cross-legged in front of the stereo with notepad and paper in front of me.

12. flakeh

flakeh Inactive

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    In my make-shift music room (aka garage) i sit on a big ole leather couch. the la-z-boy kind. its quite comfy. When I'm in my room i just sit on the floor or stand. Sitting does make it kinda hard to use effects though:(

13. I have this neat wooden folding chair like a 'Director's chair' you might see on movie sets .. expect mine is just a normal height so it also get used for the PC desk too. Occasionally I'll sit on the edge of bed if I'm in the mood to practice and watch TV simultaneously.

14. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
  15. Slaphound

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    That seems weird. I guess if its comfortable though. Why not!:hyper:

16. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Before finding the Roc 'n Soc I was using a stool that was a black metal scissors type with a round seat and a small back. It had pins through holes to adjust the height. I bought it used and sorry I don't remember the brand, could have been an On-Stage or Ultimate. All I know is that it was too heavy and cumbersome to move from place to place and the Roc 'n Soc just fits me better. Before that I used a bar stool.

George

17. Pete C

Pete C

Feb 23, 2007
    New York
    I can't play well unless I'm standing.

18. I'll usually use a chair, (dining room, etc) that is without arms, and when I gig I sometimes sit, depending on the band I'm in, and when I do it's in a chair, (armless), and I use a folding foot rest like the one that classical guitarists use. (I call it my "tribute" to classical guitarists...;) ) Otherwise, if I'm playing to "play" at home, I'll stand. +1 on the strap set like I'm sitting so that the trasition is at a minimum.:bassist:

19. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    For home, I usually practice in my chair-and-a-half recliner. It's a very wide chair that I bought purposely for practicing guitar and bass in comfort. On gigs I either stand or sit on a wooden stool with a padded top.

I also have a small padded office chair with the right arm removed which works splendidly, especially when I'm playing and engineering my own recordings.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021