How many of yall are distortionaholics.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sk8inbassist17, Oct 28, 2005.

1. I know I am, I can't make a riff without out adding distortion.

That is probably something I need to fix and make more clean bass lines.

so im just wanting to know how many of you are like me with distortion.
  2. I'm not like you in that I don't need to use distortion, and I use cleans quite a bit.

But I amp a bit of a dirtaholic in that I like to collect various OD, distortion, and fuzz boxes.
  3. Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
    Love the distortion, overdrive, and fuzz. I'm considering buying the Boss OD-20. I keep reading mixed reviews on it. Any opinions?
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI

Not that I use it on every song, but I DO find myself obscessing over fine nuances of minute knob-setting changes during my personal practice time, when I should be learning songs for the next band practice!

5. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I couldnt live without my Big Muff Pi (american)

But I feel I know what needs distortion and what doesnt. Its off most of the time, but its PERFECT in certain situations.
  6. what the heck is Distortionahol?

7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That stuff in germanium transistors. It's only synthedistortionahol in everything else, but that's usually good enough for me.
  8. im getting their, right now I am at three and wrokin on number 4, but one of them can go for now
  9. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I definitely am. If I was playing with a band I don't think I'd use it much, but for the stuff that I record of my own it's quite omnipresent. Like here: over there. My favorites right now are the Budda Phat Bass and Fulltone Bass-Drive, but I've got a bunch of others too...
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    At one point my board had:

American Big Muff Pi
    Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
    ProCo Rat II
    Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
    and a homemade distortion I built

I think I'm missing at least one.
  11. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Many of us are wondering what happened to the prospective "loan" of that homemade distortion unit!! ;)
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I like a bit of dirt in my tone, sometimes a lot. There's always a circuit distorting somewhere in my chain. :)
  13. its ALL about incremental levels of CLEAN tone is a bit warm, and it just gets progressiveley dirtier from there (ehx black finger, modded maestro brassmaster copy, marshall guvnor)
  14. I like distortion
    My peavey rig is a little too trebly for one of my bands, so i use my ODB-3 to add a massive load of bass to the amp, and with the distortion, i really am happy with the sound. its really bassy, and the last time i heard bass like that i was at a styx concert!
  15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  16. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I remember you talking about that homeade unit a while back and I know a few people wanted to try it out. Have you been working on any more homeade stuff?
  17. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    To see a dirt/distortion rack, look at mine in the amps section with the heading."devil doom distortion rack" ah yeah.
  18. How about a link?
  19. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What pedals are you using on "over there"? It sounds great :bassist:
  20. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    It's a 1968 Gibson Melody Maker with just the big ol' mudbucker. The main bass line is two channels: one clean, and one through the Fulltone Bass-Drive. The repeating riff is just one channel, with the Fulltone but with more gain. The first solo is the Hao Rust Ride - this pedal can't take the full amount of gain that the Gibson puts out, one reason why I like the Fulltone. The second solo is the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz. And the repeeating riffs are still just Fulltone. All the bass parts were recorded through an Alembic F-2B preamp direct into protools. Oh, plus a touch of ElectroHarmonix Black Finger, and an old Japanese tape delay unit by a company called Evans on some of the parts...