Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many of you actually play a fretless, and how many just have one lying around?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by furiously funky, Apr 23, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    it seems like everyone owns a fretless 4, but how many of you actually gig with it (or play it at all) on a regular basis?

2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have 3 fretlesses and I fretted. The fretted is the orphan in my collection. I've been gigging with a fretless since the mid-80's, and feel handicapped when I have to play a fretted.

3. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Mine will be finished in 1 month......:( :)

4. I've been playing bass for 21 years and fretless for 20 of those. unless it's a heavy slap gig, I bring a fretted and a fretless to each performance.

I find that how much I play each goes in cycles. for the last year or two I've had more call to play fretted, but for the 3 years before I was playing them equally. in the two years before THAT, I was playing almost exclusively fretless.

when I'm recording it's nearly a dead even split.

part of why I'm doing so little fretless at the moment is that I recently sold my primary fretless and am having a new one built. I'm nowhere near as happy with the sound of my backup as I was with my main source of MWAH.

from the low end,

Stew

5. I run hot and cold with mine. Over the course of a year, it probably sees about 25% of my stage time.

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Mine just lies around. I pick it up every once in a great while just for fun.

The reason is, it is an old BC Rich Warlock.
    Short story, I let my friend borrow it for some gigs and when I got it back the neck was completly wasted. He decided to "set it up".
    Anyway I decided what the heck and ripped the frets out.

I know its a Warlock, When I was younger I traded a bike for it, so I could have a back up bass.

Believe me it sees very little action. Considering I have a few other basses to play.

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I play my fretless every day, and my fretted bass about 50% of the time.

jd

8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i recently de-fretted my japan made p-bass copy, it was a fun project that gave me some experience in bass customizing,i usally play it 1 or 2 xs a week MAX.and thats only when i am just experimenting and trying new technics out,i still prefer my MIJ p/j bass over all my basses(my frett-less and standard j/bass) i really have'nt found my grove with my frett-less and dont really know to experiment with it so it makes for a slow process,plus i'm still getting the kinks out, like last nite i filed down the nut to lower the action and did a little rod tweaking so i guess you can say its still in the design mode,but all in all its just FUN to play more than actually doing heavy practice or work with.:bassist:

9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    my frettless 5 get's about 66% of my live playing and practicing, the rest goes to one of my 3 fretted basses or my doublebass.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Mine mostly just lays around, but I gotta have one for studio work that calls for it (2-3 times a year). It's an old Steinberger 5, which makes it nice for travel; fits in the overhead on planes.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would guess that my fretless 5 gets more play than all my five fretted basses combined.

12. I play fretless 40-50% of the time.

Jeff

13. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I recently gave away my old 'frankedefretted' P-bass clone to a friend. He might be able to do something with it but it was a fairly poor instrument and I decided that it wasn't worth me investing time and money in it.

However, I'm having a proper defret job done on my Washburn XB-600 at The Gallery so there's every chance that I might get my fretless chops up to speed in the near future ;)

Wulf

14. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Mine pretty much lays around unless I get bored with fretted bass.

But a brand new Schecter fretless for $190, how could I pass it by?

15. It depends on howmuch singing I have to do. In the band I'm with now I do about 30 percent of the lead singing and 70 percent background. I just can't pay enough attention to my intunation to play the fretless. When, however, I'm just playing bass and not having to sing, I usually play the fretless.

16. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I'd like to get a fretless six-string eventually, but right now I'm stuck with my "Austin" P-bass knockoff (it looks exactly like the one in the TalkBass logo up there). But it's ok for now, I'm not going to worry about something new until I actually start playing seriously. God I need a teacher =\ .

17. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I defretlerized my crappy Yamaha p-clone last year on a lark, and for the most part, it just sits in the rack - I'll pull it out every once and a while for a goof, but when I'm playing, 95% of the time it's on my Ric which is fretted. Someday I'll get serious about a fretless, but that day ain't today, and tomorrow's not looking so good either. :)

18. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    [​IMG]

I actually divide my time between my fretless 6 and my SR5

I have a Aria Steve Bailey 6 string fretless.

I think I'll sell it... Make me an offer.

I'll attach a pic of it

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, like a few others, my main "thang" is my fretless Zon (King Mwah, eh Josh? :D) Special 5. The second in line is my NS Design CR5M - also fretless (obviously). Third in line would be my Guitar Factory Custom 6 Fretless...somewhere back in there is a Guitar Factory Custom 6 Fretted and a '79 Music Man Stingray.

So, you could say that I just have a fretted lying around!

:D

20. I play upright 90% of the time, does that count? If I do bring a toy bass to a gig it's my '78 ibanez w/ a fretless maple fingerboard. And, If I had the balls, I'd rip the frets out of my Ovation ABG.

Like I always say; Don't Fret!