how many of you actually play a fretless, and how many just have one lying around?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by furiously funky, Apr 23, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    it seems like everyone owns a fretless 4, but how many of you actually gig with it (or play it at all) on a regular basis?
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have 3 fretlesses and I fretted. The fretted is the orphan in my collection. I've been gigging with a fretless since the mid-80's, and feel handicapped when I have to play a fretted.
  3. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Mine will be finished in 1 month......:( :)
  4. I've been playing bass for 21 years and fretless for 20 of those. unless it's a heavy slap gig, I bring a fretted and a fretless to each performance.

I find that how much I play each goes in cycles. for the last year or two I've had more call to play fretted, but for the 3 years before I was playing them equally. in the two years before THAT, I was playing almost exclusively fretless.

when I'm recording it's nearly a dead even split.

part of why I'm doing so little fretless at the moment is that I recently sold my primary fretless and am having a new one built. I'm nowhere near as happy with the sound of my backup as I was with my main source of MWAH.

from the low end,

5. I run hot and cold with mine. Over the course of a year, it probably sees about 25% of my stage time.
  6. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Mine just lies around. I pick it up every once in a great while just for fun.

The reason is, it is an old BC Rich Warlock.
    Short story, I let my friend borrow it for some gigs and when I got it back the neck was completly wasted. He decided to "set it up".
    Anyway I decided what the heck and ripped the frets out.

I know its a Warlock, When I was younger I traded a bike for it, so I could have a back up bass.

Believe me it sees very little action. Considering I have a few other basses to play.
  7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I play my fretless every day, and my fretted bass about 50% of the time.

8. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i recently de-fretted my japan made p-bass copy, it was a fun project that gave me some experience in bass customizing,i usally play it 1 or 2 xs a week MAX.and thats only when i am just experimenting and trying new technics out,i still prefer my MIJ p/j bass over all my basses(my frett-less and standard j/bass) i really have'nt found my grove with my frett-less and dont really know to experiment with it so it makes for a slow process,plus i'm still getting the kinks out, like last nite i filed down the nut to lower the action and did a little rod tweaking so i guess you can say its still in the design mode,but all in all its just FUN to play more than actually doing heavy practice or work with.:bassist:
  9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    my frettless 5 get's about 66% of my live playing and practicing, the rest goes to one of my 3 fretted basses or my doublebass.
  10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Mine mostly just lays around, but I gotta have one for studio work that calls for it (2-3 times a year). It's an old Steinberger 5, which makes it nice for travel; fits in the overhead on planes.
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would guess that my fretless 5 gets more play than all my five fretted basses combined.
  12. I play fretless 40-50% of the time.

13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I recently gave away my old 'frankedefretted' P-bass clone to a friend. He might be able to do something with it but it was a fairly poor instrument and I decided that it wasn't worth me investing time and money in it.

However, I'm having a proper defret job done on my Washburn XB-600 at The Gallery so there's every chance that I might get my fretless chops up to speed in the near future ;)

14. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Mine pretty much lays around unless I get bored with fretted bass.

But a brand new Schecter fretless for $190, how could I pass it by?
  15. It depends on howmuch singing I have to do. In the band I'm with now I do about 30 percent of the lead singing and 70 percent background. I just can't pay enough attention to my intunation to play the fretless. When, however, I'm just playing bass and not having to sing, I usually play the fretless.
  16. Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I'd like to get a fretless six-string eventually, but right now I'm stuck with my "Austin" P-bass knockoff (it looks exactly like the one in the TalkBass logo up there). But it's ok for now, I'm not going to worry about something new until I actually start playing seriously. God I need a teacher =\ .
  17. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I defretlerized my crappy Yamaha p-clone last year on a lark, and for the most part, it just sits in the rack - I'll pull it out every once and a while for a goof, but when I'm playing, 95% of the time it's on my Ric which is fretted. Someday I'll get serious about a fretless, but that day ain't today, and tomorrow's not looking so good either. :)

18. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR

I actually divide my time between my fretless 6 and my SR5

I have a Aria Steve Bailey 6 string fretless.

I think I'll sell it... Make me an offer.

I'll attach a pic of it
  19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, like a few others, my main "thang" is my fretless Zon (King Mwah, eh Josh? :D) Special 5. The second in line is my NS Design CR5M - also fretless (obviously). Third in line would be my Guitar Factory Custom 6 Fretless...somewhere back in there is a Guitar Factory Custom 6 Fretted and a '79 Music Man Stingray.

So, you could say that I just have a fretted lying around!

20. I play upright 90% of the time, does that count? If I do bring a toy bass to a gig it's my '78 ibanez w/ a fretless maple fingerboard. And, If I had the balls, I'd rip the frets out of my Ovation ABG.

Like I always say; Don't Fret!