How many of you also play drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wannabe_bassist, Apr 5, 2003.

1. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    I have noticed that most Bassists, if forced to another instrument, would almost always pick the drums rather than the guitar.

I guess drums being part of the rhythm section makes them partners and more appealing.

How many of you also play the drums? Do you find that it helps your bass playing?
  2. i played drums for a while before i played bass. i wasn't very good, and not fully into it. i picked up bass, and obviously, i stuck with it. now, after being a full-on bassist, i find i'm better at drums, even though i don't play regularly. i'm known to beat the skins a bit at band practice, and i'm better now then i was when i was a drummer.
    and i think starting on drums may have helped me with rhythm for bass a little.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I took drum classes for six months but just could never get that independence of both hands and feet to ever be a credible drummer. In fact, it was very hard for me to even get beyond the high hat. I couldn't even keep a steady beat with that, either with a stick or with the pedal. It was embarassing. :(

So I can't call myself a drummer; that would be the most egregious misrepresentation. However, as I did have six months of classes, I do have a knowledge of the drum kit, used to know how to read drum notation and have a great respect for drummers because I can appreciate how hard it is to be a master drummer.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Drums was the first instrument for me. Played them for four year's( all reading music as a kid) then switch to bass. in the mid 70's I used to put the bass down and do impromptu drum solo's on stage ( you know the crowd pleasing funk stuff). Today I wouldn't sit behind a set much less play one!
  5. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I think I'm a natural drummer. I'm pretty good, and I don't even work at it. But it gets old after a while. That's probably why I'm also a tubist and bassist.
  6. mrhappy

Mar 31, 2003
    I swing both ways!
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    as well?
    I think I play them better!
    than bass, anyway...
  8. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...

ive been playing about 12 years on the drums

a year or so on the bass ;)
  9. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    bongos. tablas. frame drums.
  10. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I play drums ocasionaly, and I am good enough to hold a simple beat for a simple song. That is about it. It can be fun, but I just enjoy playing bass much more.
  11. I've been playing drums for 33 years and bass for about a year and a half.
  12. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I play drums and bass at the same time in one of my bands. Usually tapping my bass with one hand and drumming with the other. I use a MIDI system too to get percussion sounds on my bass. Sometimes I loop bass or drum parts and play over them. I think drums and bass go hand in hand.